Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 01:48 PM

396 posts, read 838,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
that our physical bodies are not dead, but only asleep.
I'll have to remember this the next time I go out on a Cardiac Arrest.

Quote:
Since there is nothing in the scripture about Mary having received the resurrection body at this time, and because that assumption conflicts with scripture, it would not be good to teach that as a doctrine.
Sola Scriptura is not biblical either, yet many people on this board use it. It's not good to teach the doctrine of sola scriptura since it isn't biblical.

So, you see, it really depends on the doctrine that you were raised in or what you believe in. Like I said in another thread, if you insist on taking the bible literally, then please make sure you take ALL OF IT literally, not just the bits and pieces of your choosing.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:59 PM

322 posts, read 737,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
I'll have to remember this the next time I go out on a Cardiac Arrest.

Sola Scriptura is not biblical either, yet many people on this board use it. It's not good to teach the doctrine of sola scriptura since it isn't biblical.

So, you see, it really depends on the doctrine that you were raised in or what you believe in. Like I said in another thread, if you insist on taking the bible literally, then please make sure you take ALL OF IT literally, not just the bits and pieces of your choosing.
I do take the entire Bible literally, but could hardly quote the entire Bible at this thread. And yes, believing correct doctrine is important.

Sola Scriptura---- for those of us who are not Latin fluent, please explain. But if that means taking singular scriptures out of context, or without taking all the scriptures into account, then I would agree, but do not think I'm qiulty of that.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 PM

Here:
Sola scriptura - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-11-2008, 11:42 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,868,736 times
Some off topic info...when I was growing up, the Opus Dei bought a large single family home in my neighborhood and totally gutted the inside so that it had many small bedrooms for visitors to stay. I grew up in a predominately Roman Catholic neighborhood and it was a huge story. People were always walking by the house to see if they could see any activity inside or to watch people coming and going. Here it is over 20 years later, and they still own it. Old news in the neighborhood now and I think only those of us who lived there when they moved in, would even know who lives there.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:01 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
The Bible is our authority and not man.
Who here believes that the Bible is the pillar and the foundation of the truth?

Old 10-12-2008, 01:24 AM

739 posts, read 2,187,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Who here believes that the Bible is the pillar and the foundation of the truth?
I suppose it's okay as something fictional to read while sitting on the toilet.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:41 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
It is humans who claim to know which church and/or religion is superior. My faith is not based on what humans claim.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
It is humans who claim to know which church and/or religion is superior. My faith is not based on what humans claim.
So, what denomination do you think God claims to be superior?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:51 AM

322 posts, read 737,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
A very good source of info! After understanding the meaning of Sola scriptura, I plead no contest. Yes, I faithfully practice Sola scriptura.

Since Catholics do not believe the scriptures to be the sovereign and authoritative Word from GOD, then it would hardly be worth trying to preach the scriptures to them. So, it is not my duty to do so.

But at least this enlightenment helps me understand how to pray concerning Catholics.

Back a year or two ago, I prayed and ask GOD to reduce the dow to 6,000, if he would be pleased to do so. You see, I was very concerned for the many lost people who put their faith in money. The scriptures are clear on that issue (the love of money).

If we do not rightly understand the scriptures, and have a pure heart, then we would not know how to pray.

The market is moving down and we will see how lowww it can go and if folks will stop dreaming about a future full of money and get real about repentance and faith in JESUS.

No, I do not say that the Catholics are superior. Who is superior? GOD and only GOD!

Old 10-12-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
A very good source of info! After understanding the meaning of Sola scriptura, I plead no contest. Yes, I faithfully practice Sola scriptura.
Didn't want to give you anything too complicated.

Quote:
Since Catholics do not believe the scriptures to be the sovereign and authoritative Word from GOD, then it would hardly be worth trying to preach the scriptures to them. So, it is not my duty to do so.
WRONG! You need to do a little bit of research and study before you go making incredibly erronious comments like that. If I were to go to Mass every day (except Good Friday since there is no Mass on Good Friday, only a service) for 3 years, I would hear the Bible read in its ENTIRETY. We believe the scriptures the the inspired word of God, but believe there is more to Christianity than just the Bible alone. Sola Scriptura (Scripture alone) is NOT BIBLICAL.
Quote:
But at least this enlightenment helps me understand how to pray concerning Catholics.
I'm not even going to touch that one.
Quote:
Back a year or two ago, I prayed and ask GOD to reduce the dow to 6,000, if he would be pleased to do so. You see, I was very concerned for the many lost people who put their faith in money. The scriptures are clear on that issue (the love of money).

If we do not rightly understand the scriptures, and have a pure heart, then we would not know how to pray.

The market is moving down and we will see how lowww it can go and if folks will stop dreaming about a future full of money and get real about repentance and faith in JESUS
It concerns me that you would pray for a stock market crash and not PEACE ON EARTH, but oh well...so, I'm going to ask you something else...so...if you are saying that people have too much love of money...why are you on the internet? Obviously it costs money to be on the internet. It costs money to own a computer (or to get to work to use a computer if that's the case). It's a Luxury. Clothing is a Luxury. A car is a Luxury. A roof over your head is a Luxury. Food is a luxury. All of this is supplied with MONEY. So, I don't get it. You contradict everything you say by being online. Not only that, but since you say the Bible is the only thing you need, why aren't you using the ENTIRE Bible? Last time I checked, the protestant Bible is missing books. GOOD books at that (if you've never read Sirach, I'd highly suggest it). Not only that, but if you insist on taking the Bible literally, why don't you take ALL of it literally? It never ceases to amaze me that people will say they believe in one thing and do something else. I've never understood "Fundies," and after seeing this, I don't really think I want to even begin to try. It really really really scares me to think that people would pray for something like that. I'm sorry if I sound mean or whatever, but it's how I feel. I've seen too many shootings and stabbings and assaults and DEAD CHILDREN to pray for something like a stock market crash and not peace. But, hey, I guess I'm just a dumb Paramedic like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.