Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:55 AM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
That is easy, IT IS in this existence but the bible is clear that when we die in our sins it is over, no more chances, and sin must be punished which gives God the glory. If I trade places with someone else to give them salvation or sacrifice my eternal existence of bliss. How does that give God the glory in fact does it not take away God's glory by giving it to me? Do you understand God's nature. God is very clear all through the bible, that it is all for His glory.
You clearly do not understand God's nature. It is pure human ego and arrogance to presume that ANYTHING we do can add to or take way from God's infinite glory!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 09:57 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You clearly do not understand God's nature. It is pure human ego and arrogance to presume that ANYTHING we do can add to or take way from God's infinite glory!
And all we have from you is your word and how you "feel" with the Holy Spirit because you don't use scripture....oh sorry. You do use scripture just the ones you believe in

Old 06-01-2009, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,410 times
Default What scripture tells you these things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
The eternal torment in the Lake of Fire is reserved only for the fallen angels... because they are eternal beings. The Scriptures said the wages of sin for man is death... not eternal torment! In the future there will be a resurrection for all humans to face the Great White Throne Judgment and the unsaved will be cast into the Lake of Fire to DIE a second death.
There are two judgments the Great White Throne Judgment and the Mercy Seat of Christ.

All true believers will not be judged for their sins, because Christ has already paid for them. All who are brought to the Great White throne will be cast into Hell.

13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.Matthew 7:13-14

Old 06-01-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I would like to pose a question to all those who believe in unending eternal punishment for the 'lost'.

If (hypothetically of course) God were to give you the opportunity to trade places in eternity with someone you loved who died without Christ (friend, mother, brother, someone you failed to witness to - whoever) would you do it? That is, given the opportunity, would you trade your place of eternal bliss for their place of eternal torment just out of of sacrificial agape love?

If so: Why?

If not: Why not?
Even if I could or wanted to trade places with someone in hell, I couldn't because the person in hell would not want to leave. They will go on wanting nothing to do with God in death just as they wanted nothing to do with Him in life. They will not want nor can't repent because it is God who draws us to Him, He makes the way in order to repent; we don't draw ourselves, to be eternally separated from God is damning because other than God's there is no force in all the universes combined that can turn you back to Him.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 06-01-2009 at 05:29 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 06:19 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I would like to pose a question to all those who believe in unending eternal punishment for the 'lost'.

If (hypothetically of course) God were to give you the opportunity to trade places in eternity with someone you loved who died without Christ (friend, mother, brother, someone you failed to witness to - whoever) would you do it? That is, given the opportunity, would you trade your place of eternal bliss for their place of eternal torment just out of of sacrificial agape love?

If so: Why?

If not: Why not?
I answer with an unequivocal, "Yes" ! I would do it for my son, my mom and my sister. Because they are the ones I love most in this world.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:24 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
A hit back in 1611
You find it in every motel,
How to be happy in heaven,
While your loved ones are burning in hell

I would trade places with the worst person in hell so he could be buddies with Fundamentalist in heaven. That in itself would be well worth the sacrifice.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
A hit back in 1611
You find it in every motel,
How to be happy in heaven,
While your loved ones are burning in hell

I would trade places with the worst person in hell so he could be buddies with Fundamentalist in heaven. That in itself would be well worth the sacrifice.
Eusebius!!! buddy. I do love ya!

It's scriptural (Revelation 21:4) and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away."

Old 06-01-2009, 06:44 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,491 times
Quote:
But if we are to "Love your neighbor as yourself" shouldn't we at least want it (heavenly bliss) for someone else just as much as for ourselves?
It has nothing to do with love. If you love your children, are you prepared to speak truth to them, or
are you going to raise them without responsibilities - will you pay their way through life? Our job as
parents, is to model the behavior we want our children to emulate. It is NOT to sacrifice ourselves
for them, because we are all responsible for our own behavior. When we reach the age of accountability, we are then responsible for accepting, or rejecting the Lord. His ways and His system
are perfect. It has nothing to do, with a parent "not loving" their child, to say you would not trade
places in hell with your child - besides, we are not supposed to love ANYONE more than the Lord, He
said that, Himself.
Quote:
Matthew 10:37
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me
I love my kids and I would DIE for them, but I would not exchange places in hell for them, no, because
I love Jesus more than anyone. He comes before anyone on this earth.....my children...my husband...friends....I love Him, and I want to be where He is.

If you had asked, "Would you follow Jesus Christ into hell", I would say yes.
Quote:
How would it not be loving toward God to sacrifice yourself for some one else? "Greater love has no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends".
Because you would be rebelling against God, and His holy plan of salvation. You would be taking it upon yourself, to disobey the order He has established. He made things the way He wants them.

No one has to go to hell. People make choices every day of their lives; this is one of them. It would be
blasphemous, for me or anyone else to try to "trade" places with someone going to hell, assuming it was even possible.

If my child earned a life sentence in prison, I wouldn't volunteer to take their place for that, either! I would be sorry but I would not take away their responsibility for their own actions. We are all responsible.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:54 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Eusebius!!! buddy. I do love ya!

It's scriptural (Revelation 21:4) and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away."
They will no longer be crying because the Lord is going to explain that their loved ones will be joining them later on when death is abolished.

That's how the Lord will wipe away their tears.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:13 PM

73 posts, read 127,993 times
What about Paul's statement that he "wished myself accursed for the sake of my Jewish brother and sisters", is he saying he would go to eternal torment for his friends??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity