Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:18 AM

29 posts, read 52,626 times

Advertisements

Lazarus and the Rich Man

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 11:34 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,578,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm55 View Post
I loved how the bible describes a person coming to the foot of the cross; as a dirty, wretched, desperate, done, nothingless, puss filled, penniless, worthless, beggar as a sinner and yet God sends Lazarus into the bosom of Abraham, sitting by a cool stream

Gives me goose bumps!!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 11:39 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,107,427 times
I have always used that one Bible story as a way to truly understand what the afterlife is like.

I would not be surprised to learn that the Lazarus on that story turns out to be the brother of Mary and Martha.
The way that story ends we always assume that the comment about not believing in someone whop rose from the dead was talking about Jesus.

But what if Jesus was talking about Lazarus?
The story still works.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:03 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,220,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm55 View Post
It was always funny to me that preachers and people alike used this parable to refer to heaven and hell.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
It was always funny to me that preachers and people alike used this parable to refer to heaven and hell.
Yup I agree what could they be thinking men who devoted their lives to God and His word, some even died for what they believed in, have doctorates in theology, studies ancient greek. But that doesn't matter as we so casually dismiss their credentials and the gifts God gave them.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:10 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,989,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I know. In spite of the fact that the Bible says "the dead know nothing." But does anyone believe the Bible anymore? It is getting harder and harder to find real believers.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I know. In spite of the fact that the Bible says "the dead know nothing." But does anyone believe the Bible anymore? It is getting harder and harder to find real believers.
That statement reminds me of the rich man in the parable

Old 10-15-2009, 12:20 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,334,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I loved how the bible describes a person coming to the foot of the cross; as a dirty, wretched, desperate, done, nothingless, puss filled, penniless, worthless, beggar as a sinner and yet God sends Lazarus into the bosom of Abraham, sitting by a cool stream

Gives me goose bumps!!!!
Where in the scriptures does it say anything remotely like this statement . Even coming to the foot of the Cross just does not sound right to me

The gospel is "Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, was buried and rose again on the third day according to the scriptures".

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

. 8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
One in Christ.

Show me from the scriptures preferably from the book of Acts where anyone responded to the Gospel how you believe please , as the book of Acts is a first hand account of the Holy Spirit bringing men to Salvation.
Just one scripture please.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Where in the scriptures does it say anything remotely like this statement . Even coming to the foot of the Cross just does not sound right to me

The gospel is "Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, was buried and rose again on the third day according to the scriptures".

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

. 8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
One in Christ.

Show me from the scriptures preferably from the book of Acts where anyone responded to the Gospel how you believe please , as the book of Acts is a first hand account of the Holy Spirit bringing men to Salvation.
Just one scripture please.
I described Lazarus. who is Lazarus?

Old 10-15-2009, 12:21 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,220,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Yup I agree what could they be thinking men who devoted their lives to God and His word, some even died for what they believed in, have doctorates in theology, studies ancient greek. That doesn't matter as we casually dismiss their credentials.
Secular education gives one no more Godly revelation into scripture than me sitting in my garage in the hopes I will turn into a car.

Mans interpretation, theology or dogma means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of God's economy. God is spirit and when you interpret scripture with a "literal" eye you will never find the spiritual intent under those literal words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity