Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:47 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Then why is it wrong for a church to hire a pastor to lead them?
Nobody hired the Apostles and paid them to serve. I don't believe Jesus intended there to be a paid clergy in His church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 08:00 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Then why is it wrong for a church to hire a pastor to lead them?
To hire an hireling, Well gee did Jesus ever talk about that?

Yes, and He condemned it.

Was there any NT examples of hireing a 'leader' for us to follow?

No, not a single one.

Jesus is our leader, Jesus is the head of the body. We have no other leader. If your group has an earthly leader, it is not following a godly example.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
... I believe that we have been commanded to tithe,
Please, throughout this thread we have been asking, please, ...

I beg you, please provide a Bible passage where God commands a Christian to tithe of FORBIDDEN things [which God commanded us to not touch].

Please, show us where this is commanded for us to do.

Please.

You say that you are commanded to do this devilish behavior. Fine, please show us where in the Bible it commands such an evil practice.

The tithing of the OT goes into great detail. Specific detail, it is never done with cash, because cash is forbidden. Remember the Ten Commandments?

Doe anyone remember the Ten Commandments?

Tithing is from your first harvest. Not your entire harvest, but only from your first harvest. Your crops and your animals.

So, people keep saying that they are commanded, so, please show us where.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Nobody hired the Apostles and paid them to serve.
In the NT there is one example of a guy who wanted to have a ministry, so he could charge people money.

Can anyone recall his name?

One guy is recorded.

He wanted to bribe them to give to him a ministry.

Quote:
... I don't believe Jesus intended there to be a paid clergy in His church.
Because maybe Jesus specifically talked about this, and condemned it.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:22 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

I beg you, please provide a Bible passage where God commands a Christian to tithe of FORBIDDEN things [which God commanded us to not touch].

Please.

You say that you are commanded to do this devilish behavior. Fine, please show us where in the Bible it commands such an evil practice.

The tithing of the OT goes into great detail. Specific detail, it is never done with cash, because cash is forbidden. Remember the Ten Commandments?

Doe anyone remember the Ten Commandments?

Tithing is from your first harvest. Not your entire harvest, but only from your first harvest. Your crops and your animals.

So, people keep saying that they are commanded, so, please show us where.
I have heard everythung now,well I guess I WILL BE TAKING MY CROPS AND LIVESTOCK TO CHURCH NEXT SUNDAY since CASH is evil, tithing is evil even though I don't own a farm i WILL FIGURE SOME WAY OUT, Hey it doesn't say in the bible we have to pay rent with cASH EITHER but we do.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I have heard everythung now,well I guess I WILL BE TAKING MY CROPS AND LIVESTOCK TO CHURCH NEXT SUNDAY since CASH is evil, tithing is evil even though I don't own a farm i WILL FIGURE SOME WAY OUT, Hey it doesn't say in the bible we have to pay rent with cASH EITHER but we do.
LOL! Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Since when is obedience about rationalizing and getting around doing what we're supposed to do? We are not an agricultural society any more. That doesn't mean we're supposed to just use that fact to justify not paying a full tithe. Everything we have is a gift from God. Who are we to look for reasons to keep the mere 10% He has asked us to return to Him? I just don't get it.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:

Please.
In Matthew 23:23, Jesus condemns the Pharisees for paying tithing but neglecting to be obedient in other, even more important matters. He says, "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone."

He says we need to obey the "weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy and faith," but stresses that we should continue to be obedient in matters such as tithing (He is clearly referring to the paying of tithes as "the other" since He begins His senence by mentioning it specifically).

Quote:
Are you saying that paying a tithing is devilish? I think you're the one who needs to start looking for biblical evidence. Why on earth would you think tithing is devilish?

Old 01-06-2010, 08:52 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
To hire an hireling, Well gee did Jesus ever talk about that?

Yes, and He condemned it.

Was there any NT examples of hireing a 'leader' for us to follow?

No, not a single one.

Jesus is our leader, Jesus is the head of the body. We have no other leader. If your group has an earthly leader, it is not following a godly example.
Luke 10

1After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go. 2He told them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. 3Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves. 4Do not take a purse or bag or sandals; and do not greet anyone on the road.
5"When you enter a house, first say, 'Peace to this house.' 6If a man of peace is there, your peace will rest on him; if not, it will return to you. 7Stay in that house, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house.

1 Tim 5

17The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching. 18For the Scripture says, "Do not muzzle the ox while it is treading out the grain," and "The worker deserves his wages."

Old 01-06-2010, 09:14 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
I believe that Churches are doing their members a huge disservice by walking on eggshells around this subject. If you read the Bible and believe what it says, we're stewards of our money, but it's not ours. We're told to give a minimum of 10% to God. How you do that is up to you (my personal thoughts), but God knows your heart.

What I keep trying to tell people that I meet is that you will never NEVER meet anyone that is worse off because they tithed 10% of their income. You will never meet someone that wasn't able to make the mortgage because they tithed. You'll never meet anyone that hasn't been richly blessed by tithing.

How does this work? By Faith. Period. If you are tithing, it's because you truly believe that God will watch over you and bless you for your good act.

I hear those that say, "I'll tithe when I can afford it", but I can promise you that if you tithe when you're in financial straits, you'll find your way out MUCH sooner.

Are you going to get a big check in your mailbox? Probably not. Might happen, but doubtful. But your bills may become more affordable. You may get a raise or awarded more hours at your job. You may be able to stretch the food budget a little more. BUT YOU HAVE TO TRUST IN GOD!!!

We don't tithe to beg God for help. We tithe in good times and bad, and God blesses us because of that.

I can honestly say that my business is thriving because I tithe and give God the credit for everything I achieve. I'm in a very tough and cut throat industry right now, and while so many are struggling and going out of business, I'm gaining market share each and every year.

Do I bust my tail to do so? Yep. But lots do and haven't seen the success I have. I work hard, but I'm experiencing what I am in my life because of tithing and trusting God. He's got a plan for each and every one of us, but we have to do our part.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:27 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Doesn`t a large portion of our taxes go to help the needy and less fortunate? Why give it to a church so they can build huge buildings, expensive robes for the choir,sound systems,video systems,softball fields,basketball courts,etc. If you want to give more,give to charities directly. If you want to give money to the church,that`s fine. But call it what it is. It`s just money that goes into the church to help benefit the people of the congregation with the video systems,sound sytems,etc. to help them worship better. It`s sort of like a club where you pay dues and where you can go on Sundays to feel better about yourself and socialize. I`m sure they give a small percentage to needy causes. Just like a lot of secular clubs where you pay dues,have fundraisers,etc. The money for the club helps support the club and their members and they give a certain amount to charitable causes and help out around the community. Just like a church. Except the church`s money is tax deductable.
As far as these thiefs on tv that beg you to send money in or put it on your credit card while you go in debt and they get rich,that`s another matter. But if you are foolish enough to send these millionaires on tv your money,then hey..it`s your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity