Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:43 PM

117 posts, read 518,318 times

Advertisements

Do let men add to or take away from the Word of God.

The BIBLE SAYS that to be saved, one must: (1) repent (2) be baptized into Jesus (3) remain steadfast in the faith (ACTS 2:38, ACTS 8:12 & 38, ACTS 10:48, Romans 6:3, etc)

The whole point of passages like Hebrews 13:5-6 is that God will help us through any temptations. If we are once saved always saved, then why does Paul urge the Hebrews to avoid fornication or to "not be carried about with various and strange doctrines"

Galatians 5 really sums up what is wrong with once saved always saved: 1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free,[a] and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. 2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing. 3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law. 4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. 5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.

(I did remove the part of this post about leaving your church. Not in the spirit of humility, all apologies)

Last edited by Angry Aspie; 06-12-2007 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 08:50 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,550 times
I copied below the responses that I think accurately reflect what "I" think the Bible is trying to say.

First, I do go to a church where the Pastor speaks to my heart, is a very interesting, funny, speaker . . . and where they have great children's/youth groups . .. but I am not a member and do not belong to any specific congregation . . .

I want to just know what the Bible says, and not have any dehnominations spin on things, after I was raised Catholic and began realizing how many of the Catholic teachings were not based on scripture this scared me.

Although I do have to join a church and be baptized by immersion, as I believe that the bible states that this is necessary.

ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED??????????? ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED?????? . . . . . in the chuch where I am going, this is the belief of the majority . . . but I do not believe that it is COMPLETELY accurate with what the bible says. YET, it is itneresting to read scripture and other peoples interpretations and beliefs . . . . . . being a "new Christian" I feel my heart, mind and thoughts of what I read in the Bible . . . mostly is in agreement with these posts below . . . .

Lifesigns....it is my experience and belief that one cannot just merely say the words "I am born again" and "I accept JC as Lord and Savior"....but, it must be accompanied by good works, action, and example.

It's just as much how you live your life as saying the before mentioned words.

In fact, actions speak louder than words.

"...Being saved is more than a "one-time event." It is a process. There are "three tenses" to salvation. If someone asks, "Are you saved?" you should answer: "I have been saved from my sins through Christ's death and resurrection. I am being saved as I cooperate with God's grace. And I will be saved so long as I do not reject God's love and I die in His friendship (that is, in a state of grace)." Salvation is a past, present, and future reality...."

it is my experience and belief that one cannot just merely say the words "I am born again" and "I accept JC as Lord and Savior"....but, it must be accompanied by good works, action, and example.

Bjy out faith we are saved, but we must walk the walk, not just talk the talk and that isn't easy.

As far as Robinhood's post about the murdered, no, I don't believe he is saved.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:57 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,550 times
Another thing . . .

I believe Jesus is my Lord and Saviour and have 1000% faith in him, but I don't think I am saved truly right now just because I love the Lord . . .

WHY? Faith without works is empty . . . and also REPENTANCE, TRUE repentance means more than just asking for forgiveness from what I read in the bible, it means turning away from your sins.

Although I ask for forgiveness, there are a few sins that I am having trouble turning from . . . on top of that . . . . I feel that although I love the Lord, I can talk the talk . . . . but I find it a little hard to walk the walk.

I feel that I don't serve the Lord as I see other's in church doing . . and my repentance needs to be fine tuned . . . . . What worries me is the scripture . . Many will say Lord Lord but I will not hear them. . . . I don't want that to be me, but I am afraid if I die today, I may not be truly saved.

As far as my husband being saved as a teen . . . can he be saved after all these years of denying God . . . . 1/2 believing . . . . and not walking the walk . . . I am not sure of that . . . but from what I read in the bible, I feel that if you are saved, but then turn your back on God either you have lost salvation or never were truly saved . . .

I fear alot of people who think they are saved may be in for a big suprise, so I want to cover all bases . . . as my goal is to get to heaven.

I may be wrong . . . just saying what I feel and what I am thinking right now . . . . loved reading all your posts, I learn so much from ya'll.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:03 PM

117 posts, read 518,318 times
I think Galatians 5 pretty much sums it up: "Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free"

Most Churches of Christ don't believe in once saved always saved and try to closely follow the inspired word of God, not traditions of man. Obviously, no individual Christian or congregation is perfect, but you could find it a good fit for you.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:05 PM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
[quote=lifesigns64;876302]

Lifesigns....it is my experience and belief that one cannot just merely say the words "I am born again" and "I accept JC as Lord and Savior"....but, it must be accompanied by good works, action, and example.

What about the thief on the cross, he asked Jesus Christ to forgive him and Jesus Christ did and that thief had not done any good works.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:59 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Aspie View Post
I think Galatians 5 pretty much sums it up: "Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free"

Most Churches of Christ don't believe in once saved always saved and try to closely follow the inspired word of God, not traditions of man. Obviously, no individual Christian or congregation is perfect, but you could find it a good fit for you.
Yes, my church doesn't believe in once saved always saved, and I agree based on what the scriptures say. You pointed it out well. Its nice to know I'm not the only Church of Christ member on here.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:10 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
I copied below the responses that I think accurately reflect what "I" think the Bible is trying to say.

First, I do go to a church where the Pastor speaks to my heart, is a very interesting, funny, speaker . . . and where they have great children's/youth groups . .. but I am not a member and do not belong to any specific congregation . . .

I want to just know what the Bible says, and not have any dehnominations spin on things, after I was raised Catholic and began realizing how many of the Catholic teachings were not based on scripture this scared me.

Although I do have to join a church and be baptized by immersion, as I believe that the bible states that this is necessary.

ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED??????????? ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED?????? . . . . . in the chuch where I am going, this is the belief of the majority . . . but I do not believe that it is COMPLETELY accurate with what the bible says. YET, it is itneresting to read scripture and other peoples interpretations and beliefs . . . . . . being a "new Christian" I feel my heart, mind and thoughts of what I read in the Bible . . . mostly is in agreement with these posts below . . . .

"...Being saved is more than a "one-time event." It is a process. There are "three tenses" to salvation. If someone asks, "Are you saved?" you should answer: "I have been saved from my sins through Christ's death and resurrection. I am being saved as I cooperate with God's grace. And I will be saved so long as I do not reject God's love and I die in His friendship (that is, in a state of grace)." Salvation is a past, present, and future reality...."

it is my experience and belief that one cannot just merely say the words "I am born again" and "I accept JC as Lord and Savior"....but, it must be accompanied by good works, action, and example.

Bjy out faith we are saved, but we must walk the walk, not just talk the talk and that isn't easy.

As far as Robinhood's post about the murdered, no, I don't believe he is saved.
Dang that spread around your rep points!! That was two awesome posts lifesigns...very well said God Bless you and your husband.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:42 PM

19 posts, read 124,693 times
I believe that you can be saved and then wonder off the path and never come back. Some people know the Lord and then something happens to them and they change and wonder away from God and never return. Being saved is a total way of life. Its the way you talk, act, treat people, it should be apart of your every being. There is nothing that you can do as a person to earn your way into Heaven that's what makes God's mercy and grace so amazing. God knows that we are all going to sin and fall short of the glory of God, but he loves us and when we truly ask for forgiveness he will give it to you. That doesn't give you a free for all because you think you know that he is going to forgive you. If you truly give your life for God he will fill you with the holy Spirit and you will want to do what is right. To keep on the narrow path you have to pray and read your bible, who have to have an intimate relationship with him. The more you come to know him the more you will seek him. I believe that being a Christian is a TOTAL way of life, its in everything that you are.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:41 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Default Salvation Can Be Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
I only read the OP, but here is a quote from the book Did Adam and Eve have Belly Buttons?

Ephesians 2:8-9 NKJV says: For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works lest anyone should boast.

A person is saved as a result of putting his absolute faith in Jesus Christ alone. Salvation is a gift as a result of God's mercy upon all of us. In other words, we didn't deserve God's Grace, but out of God's Goodness and Mercy, He gave it to us as a free will offering for the taking.

As heated as this topic can get, only God and the person know rather or not he or she is a true christian. In other words, a person has to know beyond a reasonable doubt that he belongs to God and that the Holy Spirit dwells in his or her heart.

Just because a person accepts Jesus Christ, that doesn't mean that he or she will not sin. The bible clearly says that we all have fallen short. All of us sin daily, but the difference is that when a believer (a truly regenerated Born Again believer's) sins, he or she is forgiven.

It is when we habitually sin, putting ourselves first over God, and or continue to idol worship anything over God and just not letting go of it. For example:fornication, adultery, homosexuality, covetousness, drunkiness, and worshipping our house, clothes, cars, jewelry, family, movie stars, singers, job/careers, and the world without the help of God's Holy Spirit are all things that some people put first over God.

A truly Born Again Christian denies him or herself first and bears the fruits of God's Holy Spirit which are love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentlesness, and self-control Galatians 6:22 NKJV. Paul makes it quite clear for all of us who don't know what is required of us in 1Corinthians NKJV 6:9-11 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be DECEIVED. Neither fornicators, nor IDOLATERS, nor adulterers, nor HOMOSEXUALS, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. And SUCH WERE SOME OF YOU. BUT YOU WERE WASHED, BUT YOU WERE SANCTIFIED, BUT YOU WERE JUSTIFIED IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS AND BY THE SPIRIT OF OUR GOD. If this verse doesn't help, then John 3:9 helps us to understand that if we are truly Born Again then we cannot sin.

In John 3:9 NKJV it says whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been BORN OF GOD. In other words a truly born again person can't habitually sin against God without any sense of guilt or remorse for his or her actions. When a born again christian sins against God, if the Holy Spirit is truly dwelling in the christian's heart, something should nag him or her about sinning which should bring that person to repentance.

In addition, Paul talks about this same topic in great detail in Galatians. He says in Galatians 5:16-23 NKJV to Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fullfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are adultury, fornication, uncleaness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who PRACTICE such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control. Agains such there is no law. And those who are christ's have crucified the flesh with its passion and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. A christian can't walk in the Spirit if he or she has not been BORN AGAIN.

Some christians think that all they have to do is accept Jesus Christ and they are saved and they have a free pass into heaven. Look at what Jesus even said in John 3:5-7 NKJV Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is BORN of water and the SPIRIT, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is Spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, you MUST BE BORN AGAIN.

It has become clear that after you accept God's free gift of Grace, we all must go through a new birth (a spiritual one where the Holy Spirit can truly dwell in our hearts). A christian is a work in progress, and each day he or she should be striving to grow closer to sanctification until DEATH or HIS OR HER SALVATION CAN BE FORGOTTEN. I don't want anyone to think that I mean that a christan's salvation can be forgotten by God. However, it's the christian whose Salvation Can Be forgotten by him or herself for turning away from God (not becoming truly Born Again) and habitually sinning without repenting and asking God back into their lives.

Last edited by antredd; 08-06-2007 at 09:39 PM..

Old 08-07-2007, 12:29 PM

204 posts, read 508,036 times
I personally have never understood why so many Christians spend time dwelling on the past, and on this issue.
Why so much living in the past.

The question shouldn’t be were you saved at some point in time, but ARE YOU SAVED RIGHT NOW?

Forget about the past and what you may have done when you were a child, or some past experience, or last year, or even yesterday, or this morning, or even 30 minutes ago. Forget that you may have backslid last year, last wed, or this morning.

Are you CURRENTLY (present tense) trusting Jesus as your personal savior? Do you CURRENTLY believe that He took your sins (and sins of world) on the cross?
Do you CURRENLTY believe he was God manifest in the flesh, lived a sinless life, died for the sins of the world, and rose again to be with the Father? And does your life CURRENTLY (present tense, in the HERE AND RIGHT NOW, this very second) reflect those beliefs?

If you can answer ‘Yes’ to all that, then your saved and I’d stop worrying about the past.

And if you can’t answer yes then stop worrying on the past, and start trusting Jesus right now this very second. Either way I don’t think you need to keep harping over and over if you were ever saved at some point in time. There is no time like the present, so ask God to forgive you, change your life and to come into your heart right now if you’re unsure. Change right now if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity