Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:43 PM

33,240 posts, read 26,455,707 times

Advertisements

Following is an article which speaks of hell. It speaks of hell as a place of choice, truth, fair treatment, and lost hope. It touches on some of the so called 'second chance' verses that Universalist's misuse to promote the false teaching that all men will be saved. Universalism rests upon a misunderstanding of some supposedly 'difficult' passages which are used to counter the many clear passages that state beyond doubt to any reasonable person that hell, the eternal fire is the eternal home of those who reject Christ as Savior. Further, the use of the Greek word AIONION as it relates to things eternal, is mentioned.

Predictably, those who adhere to Universalism will voice their objections to the use of the word 'hell' and will attempt to pick apart what the article says concerning it, but I post this for seeker's of truth. I hope there are those who will heed its message.

Excerpt #1

Quote:
We do not do people a favor when we remain silent about the subject of hell. Jesus, the prime example of God's love, spoke of hell repeatedly. He said that some would rise from death in the ''resurrection of condemnation'' (John 5:29). He declared that those who go to hell enter the horrible place where 'their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched'' (Mark 9:44,46,48). He also depicted it as a place of ''outer darkness,'' where there ''will be weeping and gnashing of teeth'' (Matt 8:12; 22:13; 25:30).
Excerpt #2

Quote:
If you haven't chosen to believe on Jesus Christ, you are choosing the path to hell. Don't listen to the behaviorists who suggest that you have no real choices of your own. Reject the New Age thinking that says you are governed by a non-moral Force. Accept the teaching of the Bible. If you reject Christ, you will have no right to blame anyone other then yourself when you someday find yourself in hell. You will have to admit that you made the wrong choice. You won't be able to blame God.

What Does the Bible Say About Hell?

Article is by Herb Vander Lugt, senior research editor for RBC Ministries. When I read this article, it seemed to be the only link on the site which was working at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 08:07 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
1 Timothy 4:7

What could be more godless than what you preach over and over and over about a monster god who has created an eternal torture chamber for those He himself brought into existence?

I see no love in what you preach.
No love at all.
I see nothing but godless myths and old wives tales.

Love conquers ALL.
We are talking about the CREATOR of the UNIVERSE.
He has a plan.
And it is 100% PERFECT.
He IS the Good Shepherd.

Edited to add: Do you know why I posted the above? Because of the amount of people suffering daily because they do not understand WHO their Creator is. Because of the amount of people suffering daily, because they are taught that their Creator is a monster. Because of the amount of people suffering daily, because in this dark world, preachers are preaching the WORST news possible... that their CREATOR would allow His creation to be tortured forever. The darkness in this world CONTINUES because the light is being obscured by the false gospel.

Last edited by .sparrow.; 05-10-2010 at 08:52 PM..

Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times
Thanks for posting. Excellent article on the realities of hell. I especially thought the first couple paragraphs under "What happened to the subject of hell" was interesting. I think when people talk about their bad experiences, or in LA (the traffic), being "hell" it really does cause people to forget that what they just called "hell" is not even comparable in the slightest. They don't think a place could possibly exist because they use it so casually and it really isn't a reality anymore.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,310 times
Huh......I thought Hell meant to cover. That is why the KJV used it instead of grave, but the KJV also left a little footnote for us some of the time, being the inconsistent translation that it is. (grave is a covering, isn't it?). The KJV Revelation 20:14 has a little footnote that shows that "hell" means the "grave." Why? Of course, in later translations they had to change it as the meaning has changed.

The next paragraph is from L. Ray Smith's "Lake of Fire" series:
L. Ray Smith - Lake of Fire - Part 16-A

Did the pagan Egyptians believe in the “immortality of the soul?†Duh! Have you ever heard of the pyramids? The pyramids were the supposed launching pads for the Pharaohs’ IMMORTAL souls to be transported into the heavens! First Century Christians never believed their souls went into the starry firmament of heaven at death—it was the PAGANS AND HEATHENS that believed in such mythological nonsense. God brought Israel out of Egypt, but it doesn’t look like the paganism of Egypt ever came out of Israel.

Why are so many places around the world (United States included) still so steeped in paganism? Something to do with Babylon? Do you think if the Egyptians or any of the other pagans of old showed up today they would recognize all of these symbols on our cars, corporations, and buildings? Do you see the Obelisks? Do you see the symbols?

Why do the churches fly the Unites States flag when paganism and occultism is what this country is founded on? Why are the churches so connected to the state? What do you think this has to do with HELL and FEAR?

Maybe our country, our Christian history, and our understanding of God is much more pagan than we would like to think!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Following is an article which speaks of hell. It speaks of hell as a place of choice, truth, fair treatment, and lost hope. It touches on some of the so called 'second chance' verses that Universalist's misuse to promote the false teaching that all men will be saved. Universalism rests upon a misunderstanding of some supposedly 'difficult' passages which are used to counter the many clear passages that state beyond doubt to any reasonable person that hell, the eternal fire is the eternal home of those who reject Christ as Savior. Further, the use of the Greek word AIONION as it relates to things eternal, is mentioned.

Predictably, those who adhere to Universalism will voice their objections to the use of the word 'hell' and will attempt to pick apart what the article says concerning it, but I post this for seeker's of truth. I hope there are those who will heed its message.

Excerpt #1

Excerpt #2

What Does the Bible Say About Hell?

Article is by Herb Vander Lugt, senior research editor for RBC Ministries. When I read this article, it seemed to be the only link on the site which was working at the time.
I find it interesting that a believer in once-saved-always-saved is against universalism...

The only thing separating the two is a confession... IMO

Why does the eternal fate of some rest on a confession? Funny that the title of that link is "what does the bible say about hell" considering it says nothing about hell...

Old 05-10-2010, 09:19 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
1 Timothy 4:7

What could be more godless than what you preach over and over and over about a monster god who has created an eternal torture chamber for those He himself brought into existence?
For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

The saviour of all mankind, however, in this verse and context there are two sets of people, all mankind, and those who believe. Yes indeed He has offered (keyword SIN OFFERING) everyone the chance at salvation because they have been redeemed, their sins atoned for, yet Paul hammers in, but it is only EFFECTIVE FOR THOSE THAT BELIEVE.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:20 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I find it interesting that a believer in once-saved-always-saved is against universalism...

The only thing separating the two is a confession... IMO

Why does the eternal fate of some rest on a confession? Funny that the title of that link is "what does the bible say about hell" considering it says nothing about hell...
Romans 10:9 Confess, and you are saved!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 PM

33,240 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Thanks for posting. Excellent article on the realities of hell. I especially thought the first couple paragraphs under "What happened to the subject of hell" was interesting. I think when people talk about their bad experiences, or in LA (the traffic), being "hell" it really does cause people to forget that what they just called "hell" is not even comparable in the slightest. They don't think a place could possibly exist because they use it so casually and it really isn't a reality anymore.
You're welcome. It seems that the realities of hell aren't taught by pastor's nearly so much these days as they were in previous generations. As I understand it, even many pastor's have been deceived into not believing in it. This is of course in line with Satan's cosmic system with which, among other things, he would deceive mankind into thinking that he doesn't even exist and that hell is only a pagan superstition instead of the cold hard reality that it is.

It is absolutely amazing that people can so blatantly disreqard the Bible's teachings on the matter. There are going to so many people who, after it is too late, discover the terrible mistake they made in taking lightly what God has so solemny spoken of in His written word, and they are going to regret it for all eternity. And you're right. The way that the word 'hell' is tossed around these days so casually tends to diminish the seriousness that should be attached to it.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:00 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You're welcome. It seems that the realities of hell aren't taught by pastor's nearly so much these days as they were in previous generations. As I understand it, even many pastor's have been deceived into not believing in it. This is of course in line with Satan's cosmic system with which, among other things, he would deceive mankind into thinking that he doesn't even exist and that hell is only a pagan superstition instead of the cold hard reality that it is.

It is absolutely amazing that people can so blatantly disreqard the Bible's teachings on the matter. There are going to so many people who, after it is too late, discover the terrible mistake they made in taking lightly what God has so solemny spoken of in His written word, and they are going to regret it for all eternity. And you're right. The way that the word 'hell' is tossed around these days so casually tends to diminish the seriousness that should be attached to it.
Very true, Mike. I'm searching for a new church right now and I know that my pastor rarely spoke about hell. I know he believes in it, but it wasn't something he talked about often.

Yes, Satan absolutely loves the fact that so many deny his existence and hell's existence. I don't understand how people pick and choose which parts they like and don't like. Hell doesn't make them "feel good" so it couldn't possibly be true. This verse comes to mind "And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book" Rev 22:19

Old 05-10-2010, 10:11 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,113,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

The saviour of all mankind, however, in this verse and context there are two sets of people, all mankind, and those who believe. Yes indeed He has offered (keyword SIN OFFERING) everyone the chance at salvation because they have been redeemed, their sins atoned for, yet Paul hammers in, but it is only EFFECTIVE FOR THOSE THAT BELIEVE.
Paul didn't believe and was on his way to kill Christians when God showed mercy and came into his life, against any will of his own, confession, faith or anything. He was "shown mercy BECAUSE OF his ignorance and unbelief."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity