Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 01:45 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
At least for this weekend, Birmingham is the Capital
Nothing is larger than Homecoming at Howard in DC. I think that is a consensus across the nation when it comes to HBCUs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 02:35 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Nothing is larger than Homecoming at Howard in DC. I think that is a consensus across the nation when it comes to HBCUs.
Now I wouldn't go THAT far. FAMU, NC A&T, and SpelHouse homecomings are just as big as Howard's or maybe even bigger some years. Howard's is in the top tier no doubt but there's hardly a consensus that it's *the* largest. And although it's not a homecoming, you can't discount Magic City Classic which draws pretty big crowds.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:00 PM

377 posts, read 340,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't know about that, when it comes to homecomings Howard and Spel-House are the elite no question and you have to give respect to NC A&T and Tuskegee as well, but as far as being the largest HBCU event you can't overlook the biggest dogs in the room(I see you Southernboy205 !). The top HBCU classic games by far (Magic City in Birmingham and the Bayou in New Orleans) from what I've seen are larger events and bring in more people than the HBCU homecoming games. I give the edge to Birmingham in the battle of the classics due to the week long and massive tailgate party outside of Legion Field, the Superdome can't have a tailgate anywhere near that level. The classics also have a more down home southern fried feel to them and thus appeal to a wider audience.

Last edited by cherokee48; 10-28-2018 at 03:09 PM..

Old 10-28-2018, 03:05 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Now I wouldn't go THAT far. FAMU, NC A&T, and SpelHouse homecomings are just as big as Howard's or maybe even bigger some years. Howard's is in the top tier no doubt but there's hardly a consensus that it's *the* largest. And although it's not a homecoming, you can't discount Magic City Classic which draws pretty big crowds.
Bayou Classic as well for non homecoming Fall HBCU events.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes, very true.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:35 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
a few perceptions:
i know what howard homecoming is (dont know much about the others). i have no idea what magic city classic is. did i just lose my black card ?
i know spellman and morehouse. but ive never seen the portmanteau spelhouse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
bayou classic as well.

am i alone, or are these events not as universally black as you guys infer (especially to us non-african-american northerners) ?

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 10-28-2018 at 05:44 PM..

Old 10-28-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
a few perceptions:
i know what howard homecoming is (dont know much about the others). i have no idea what magic city classic is. did i just lose my black card ?

bayou classic as well.

am i alone, or are these events not as universally black as you guys infer (especially to us non-african-american northerners)
?
If you have to ask you probably have LOL, In all seriousness you are way behind the curve for large black college events. As for the portmanteau Spel-House it's a thing. google AUC(Atlanta University Center) The Magic City Classic is the largest HBCU classic in America as well as the largest FCS game in America and the Bayou Classic is not far behind, both games average 65k and in some nice weather years Magic City is north of 70k. Both Magic City and Bayou Classics feature prominent HBCU's and enjoy a dearth of black culture (food, clothing, school spirit, HBCU pride, social awareness, political awareness, etc) and all its fun. When it comes to HBCU football games in urban areas it gets no bigger than Birmingham and New Orleans. Being up North is part of the reason you might not be aware of the impact, size and scope of these games but I assure you most people from Alabama or Louisiana or anyone with ties to an HBCU does.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
a few perceptions:

bayou classic as well.

am i alone, or are these events not as universally black as you guys infer (especially to us non-african-american northerners) ?
Lol, nah you haven't lost your Black card. Honestly football classics aren't quite as well known as homecomings overall as they tend to be more local/regional events and played on neutral ground, but Magic City Classic and Bayou Classic are exceptions, especially when it comes to attendance at the actual games themselves--which is the actual highlight. For homecomings, the football game is just one of several events and is played on campus.

Morehouse and Spelman, as sibling institutions, always hold their homecomings on the same weekend which makes sense when you think about the sporting and social events homecomings are known for.

As for Black Northerners, I guess y'all have Lincoln and Cheney in PA and Wilberforce in OH but I don't have a clue how well-attended their homecomings are. Howard's is gonna be as close and good as it gets for the Northeast and Morgan's homecoming in Baltimore is pretty solid. Delaware State is up that way but I don't know much about them. I don't know what to say to the Black Midwesterners lol.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Lol, nah you haven't lost your Black card. Honestly football classics aren't quite as well known as homecomings overall as they tend to be more local/regional events and played on neutral ground, but Magic City Classic and Bayou Classic are exceptions, especially when it comes to attendance at the actual games themselves--which is the actual highlight. For homecomings, the football game is just one of several events and is played on campus.

Morehouse and Spelman, as sibling institutions, always hold their homecomings on the same weekend which makes sense when you think about the sporting and social events homecomings are known for.

As for Black Northerners, I guess y'all have Lincoln and Cheney in PA and Wilberforce in OH but I don't have a clue how well-attended their homecomings are. Howard's is gonna be as close and good as it gets for the Northeast and Morgan's homecoming in Baltimore is pretty solid. Delaware State is up that way but I don't know much about them. I don't know what to say to the Black Midwesterners lol.
I'm mostly in agreement but when considering the Magic City the game itself is not the actual highlight, perhaps the catalyst (a huge one) but not the highlight that would be the entertainment (4 day tailgate party, concerts, parties, comedy shows, parade etc.) that turns the city into a 2-3 day party. They even close city schools in Birmingham on classic Friday because there is so much (partying) going on that it no longer made sense to have school that day anymore. The attendance to the game is a major deal since the game is a big time HBCU rivalry game (in this case Alabama State and Alabama A&M) with a lot on the line between the alumni of both schools with the top hat trophy up for grabs. That being said as important as the game and all the bragging rights, reputation, money, in some cases conference position riding on it, it as at best as much of a draw as the entertainment that it brings to the city and in most cases secondary to it.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:36 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
I picked “none.”

IMO, every city I’ve been to is very segregated. So it’s hard for me to say one is a black capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City