Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:02 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
C'mon, where else are you gonna find this?

U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice

http://antzinpantz.com/kns/images/feb12/SusanRice.jpg

My boys!!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-68a-zgChe6...d%2BHolder.jpg

Gwennie Gwen!

http://www.moonbattery.com/gwen_ifill.jpg

Van Jones

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...9090601464.jpg

Ronald Machen (United States Attorney for the District of Columbia)
Are you suggesting that there are not similar types of black people in high places in Atlanta (aside from the President of the United States and the Attorney General for obvious reasons)? Likewise, are you suggesting that those people are there because DC is the black capital of the United States instead of the real reason (because it's the capital of the united states)?

Susan Rice is another odd example since her job means that she spends most of her time in NYC because that is where the UN is...and also because the first black UN Ambassdor was Andrew Young, the former Mayor of Atlanta.

I know you are smarter than this to play this whole Atlanta is full of ghetto country folks and DC is full of educated black folks game Bajan. Debating which city has had more prominent black folks is a wash. The answer is both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Are you suggesting that there are not similar types of black people in high places in Atlanta (aside from the President of the United States and the Attorney General for obvious reasons)? Likewise, are you suggesting that those people are there because DC is the black capital of the United States instead of the real reason (because it's the capital of the united states)?

Susan Rice is another odd example since her job means that she spends most of her time in NYC because that is where the UN is...and also because the first black UN Ambassdor was Andrew Young, the former Mayor of Atlanta.

I know you are smarter than this to play this whole Atlanta is full of ghetto country folks and DC is full of educated black folks game Bajan. Debating which city has had more prominent black folks is a wash. The answer is both.
Post of the year!

Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 AM

886 posts, read 1,563,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I can definitely tell you are not from NYC. Most NYers look down on other burroughs, so why would it be hard to look down on Philly & Chicago. Ever heard of the "Bridge and Tunnel" crowd? Look it up. People in the Bronx call Staten Island "the stix." Everytime, we go to Chicago, my brother comments on their accent as being "striaght outta Arkansas or Mississippi." You can't tell me sh*t about NYC. NYC Hop on!
It must be hard to live in D.C., poor thing. The demographics of the district look like the deep south a place like Alabama. D.C. is Oreo with predominantly whites and blacks with sprinkles of Latinos and Asians thrown in. D.C. or Atlanta there really is little distinguishing one from the other

Old 04-05-2012, 11:36 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that there are not similar types of black people in high places in Atlanta (aside from the President of the United States and the Attorney General for obvious reasons)?
There are similar types of black people in Atlanta. Just not nearly as many.

Quote:
Likewise, are you suggesting that those people are there because DC is the black capital of the United States instead of the real reason (because it's the capital of the united states)?
It's both. DC attracts the most educated and talented blacks because DC in general attracts some of the world's brightest and most talented minds.

Quote:
Susan Rice is a permanent Washington fixture. She's a native and was a fellow at Brookings prior to her current post (her father was actually a governor of the Federal Reserve Board). The same goes for Holder, Ifill, and Machen.

Yep...Andrew Young preceded Susan Rice. And he's known more for his work in diplomacy (conducted in Washington and New York) and less for being mayor of Atlanta.

Quote:
I didn't say Atlanta was full of ghetto country folks. But Atlanta doesn't attract the same talent as DC.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Yep...Andrew Young preceded Susan Rice. And he's known more for his work in diplomacy (conducted in Washington and New York) and less for being mayor of Atlanta.
At this point you are presenting opinion as fact. You have absolutely no idea how Andrew Young is remembered.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:37 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
I think the only thing Atlanta really beats DC on is "entertainment." In terms of their impact on media, music and popular culture, Atlanta beats DC by a country mile. DC's just not that type of town.

But as far as being a center of power and intellectual life for black Americans? I think DC beats Atlanta pretty decisively on that front. There's no other city in the world where you will find such a large concentration of ambitious, well-educated and accomplished black people. It's not uncommon to meet a black girl in her early 30s at a house party and then see her anchoring on MSNBC the next week, or run into someone at happy hour who just finished up his second year at Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship, or have a friend who spends most of the month in the Balkans and Eastern Europe negotiating contracts for the construction of natural gas pipelines (and speaks four languages). You meet all kinds of interesting black people in DC. It's not your typical, "I make six figures and drive a big car" type of black people.

Then DC has the diplomatic crowd and they are all very well-educated (and typically very affluent). You can go to an event at the South African embassy and meet all types of fascinating black people from as far as London and Yaounde. You're not going to find that in Atlanta. And even if you have events like that in Atlanta, they don't occur with the same frequency as they do in DC.

One of my most unforgettable memories of living in DC was when I was an intern way back when. We were scheduled to meet with a delegation from Germany and our translator was late. So my boss (who was black) just kicks off the conversation in fluent German. She was like the black female version of Hans Landa (spoke German, French and Italian fluently). She had also served as editor for the Yale Law Journal and finished Yale College with honors.

That's when I knew that DC was an "it" place for black people.
Good Post! I think I mentioned this before but I was at a bar in DC in 08 having a conversation with one of Condeleeza Rice's speech writers (black chick) and an off duty metro bus driver. Both of them are from completely different educational backgrounds but make 6 figures.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,676,262 times
Atlanta is no black capital.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Atlanta is no black capital.
Says you. The poll and the general population correctly think otherwise.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:43 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
It must be hard to live in D.C., poor thing. The demographics of the district look like the deep south a place like Alabama. D.C. is Oreo with predominantly whites and blacks with sprinkles of Latinos and Asians thrown in. D.C. or Atlanta there really is little distinguishing one from the other
Do you know what demographics mean? I am not trying to insult you either. Look up DC's per capita income, education attainment, careers in force, racial breakdown, etc... and get back at me. Your hatred for DC is comparable to a fat kids love of cake and ice cream. It's too transparent. DC doesn't think its north or south because it isn't. It's not like Atlanta or Philly.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:53 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Do you know what demographics mean? I am not trying to insult you either. Look up DC's per capita income, education attainment, careers in force, racial breakdown, etc... and get back at me. Your hatred for DC is comparable to a fat kids love of cake and ice cream. It's too transparent. DC doesn't think its north or south because it isn't. It's not like Atlanta or Philly.
Better question would be if you know what demographics means?

Hmmm interesting that to you it means income. LOL silly boy, I would suggest educating yourself before arguing with D.C.s demographics which is 51% black and 38% white. LOL so D.C. is almost 90% black and white!!

Beggars make for lousy debaters, you can thank me later for your paycheck. D.C. is a huge welfare state, it leeches off $350 BILLION from California alone..

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City