Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Indy or Louisville?
Indianapolis 23 67.65%
Louisvile 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:57 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times

Advertisements

Between these two cities, I'd pick Indianapolis. However, this is by default for me only.

Indianapolis does have Broad Ripple, Market Square, and, for a Midwestern city, a fairly nice balance of professional-collegiate in local sports affiliations. People love their Pacers and Colts there as much as they do their Hoosiers (sorry Boilermakers fans, the Hoosiers seem to really have more fans in Indiana). Indy is a very clean city in many areas and because of the Midwestern street grid system, it feels more "orderly." It also has much closer proximity to Chicago and Lake Michigan for just day trips.

Louisville has the Highlands, Crescent Hill, and the architectural gem known as Old Louisville. They are more aggressive about urban redevelopment and developing its own brand than Indy is. In my opinion, Louisville also has a more lively, inviting downtown, albeit a little smaller than Indy's. The waterfront is more inviting and has more festivals, and the culinary scene and park system are great for a city its size. As for sports, you pick UofL or UK; they don't need no stinkin' pro teams, and that college basketball worship 24/7/365 gets old quickly.

Now, having grown up in Kentucky, I always found Hoosiers to be a little...I dunno, weird. A little too reserved for my taste. After having lived also-reserved Louisville and Cincinnati, I already figure that I would not want to live in Indy; I mean, how dissimilar can the culture there really be compared to Louisville and Cincinnati? All three cities are close (I know this isn't an Cincy-comparative thread, but I'm using the city to boost my argument). I actually found some Louisvillians to be outright rude and condescending toward anybody who either were not from their "precious" city or had anything remotely negative to say about their city--a very sensitive bunch. Indy is just kind of "there," whereas Louisville has a surprisingly big superiority/inferiority complex about itself; for example, people in Louisville will always boast "oh, we have this and Indy doesn't" or "we laugh at boring ol' Lexington," and then oooooh and aaaaaah over some cool new restaurant in Lexington or act jealous that Cincinnati has better pizza. I'm just throwing out examples, but I think you get what I mean.

What I know is this: I'm glad I moved to California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 06:13 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
If you are so happy in California, why do you spend so much time obsessing over places you don't like on an online forum?

(I also used to live in KY, and I am glad I left, but I never really think about KY and spend a small fraction of the time on their forum that you do.)

Old 04-21-2014, 07:09 AM

918 posts, read 1,696,933 times
Quote:
Between these two cities, I'd pick Indianapolis. However, this is by default for me only.

Indianapolis does have Broad Ripple, Market Square, and, for a Midwestern city, a fairly nice balance of professional-collegiate in local sports affiliations. People love their Pacers and Colts there as much as they do their Hoosiers (sorry Boilermakers fans, the Hoosiers seem to really have more fans in Indiana). Indy is a very clean city in many areas and because of the Midwestern street grid system, it feels more "orderly." It also has much closer proximity to Chicago and Lake Michigan for just day trips.

Louisville has the Highlands, Crescent Hill, and the architectural gem known as Old Louisville. They are more aggressive about urban redevelopment and developing its own brand than Indy is. In my opinion, Louisville also has a more lively, inviting downtown, albeit a little smaller than Indy's. The waterfront is more inviting and has more festivals, and the culinary scene and park system are great for a city its size. As for sports, you pick UofL or UK; they don't need no stinkin' pro teams, and that college basketball worship 24/7/365 gets old quickly.

Now, having grown up in Kentucky, I always found Hoosiers to be a little...I dunno, weird. A little too reserved for my taste. After having lived also-reserved Louisville and Cincinnati, I already figure that I would not want to live in Indy; I mean, how dissimilar can the culture there really be compared to Louisville and Cincinnati? All three cities are close (I know this isn't an Cincy-comparative thread, but I'm using the city to boost my argument). I actually found some Louisvillians to be outright rude and condescending toward anybody who either were not from their "precious" city or had anything remotely negative to say about their city--a very sensitive bunch. Indy is just kind of "there," whereas Louisville has a surprisingly big superiority/inferiority complex about itself; for example, people in Louisville will always boast "oh, we have this and Indy doesn't" or "we laugh at boring ol' Lexington," and then oooooh and aaaaaah over some cool new restaurant in Lexington or act jealous that Cincinnati has better pizza. I'm just throwing out examples, but I think you get what I mean.

I agree with much of what you said except for the bolded part about downtown. In my experience having lived in both towns, it's the opposite of what you stated. Indy's downtown seems more lively and happening. Lousiville's downtown boasts impressive urban architecture but very little in terms of pedestrian traffic and nightlife. At least that's what I found when I lived there 12 years ago

Old 04-21-2014, 01:54 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If you are so happy in California, why do you spend so much time obsessing over places you don't like on an online forum?

(I also used to live in KY, and I am glad I left, but I never really think about KY and spend a small fraction of the time on their forum that you do.)
I'm a multi-generational KY native and still have some interest in what goes on in the state and region.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:05 PM

261 posts, read 418,046 times
Indy and Louisville always seemed like "sister" cities to me. Nearly the same size and they are all fairly close to one another, and only in the last 30 years or so, did both start getting nationwide respect as real cities, instead of sleepy backwards country towns out in the middle of no where. It looks like Indy and Louisville could work closer together in bringing more employment opportunities to the region between Indy and Louisville. The areas are bound to grow closer and closer to one another in the coming decades. A high speed rail between the cities would be nice. I see lots of potential opportunities for that region.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:36 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,348 times
Quote:

I would rather live in NYC because it's much bigger and better than any city in Cali. Actually, Louisville and Indy have other interests like the arts, music etc. other than just sports.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:49 PM

918 posts, read 1,696,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I would rather live in NYC because it's much bigger and better than any city in Cali. Actually, Louisville and Indy have other interests like the arts, music etc. other than just sports.
Hear hear

Old 04-25-2014, 08:48 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,971,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Indy is the epitome of s***. Louisville is a little bit better, but not much.

Anyone planning a move to either place should think again.
Seriously? Can you watch your language here?

Old 05-01-2014, 03:31 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,213,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasdf View Post
Indy and Louisville always seemed like "sister" cities to me. Nearly the same size and they are all fairly close to one another, and only in the last 30 years or so, did both start getting nationwide respect as real cities, instead of sleepy backwards country towns out in the middle of no where. It looks like Indy and Louisville could work closer together in bringing more employment opportunities to the region between Indy and Louisville. The areas are bound to grow closer and closer to one another in the coming decades. A high speed rail between the cities would be nice. I see lots of potential opportunities for that region.
What?!?! Sister Cities??? I would say that Indianapolis and Columbus are more like sister cities than Louisville and Indianapolis are or ever will be. Columbus is Midwestern, Louisville is SOUTHERN, Both Indianapolis and Columbus have more in Common with one another than Louisville has with Indianapolis. Think About It. You cannot compare apples and oranges, and therefore you cannot compare a southern city with a midwestern city, Sorry to burst your bubble, but It would be far more logical and reasonable for Louisville and Cincinnati to work together as "sister cities". By the way, I would rather live in Louisville, especially after seeing Indianapolis undergoing an apparent death spiral of crime and decay for the last several years in a row now.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:53 AM

143 posts, read 237,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
What?!?! Sister Cities??? I would say that Indianapolis and Columbus are more like sister cities than Louisville and Indianapolis are or ever will be. Columbus is Midwestern, Louisville is SOUTHERN, Both Indianapolis and Columbus have more in Common with one another than Louisville has with Indianapolis. Think About It. You cannot compare apples and oranges, and therefore you cannot compare a southern city with a midwestern city, Sorry to burst your bubble, but It would be far more logical and reasonable for Louisville and Cincinnati to work together as "sister cities". By the way, I would rather live in Louisville, especially after seeing Indianapolis undergoing an apparent death spiral of crime and decay for the last several years in a row now.
You know, you can contribute to the thread without the condescending attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City