Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Yea they being very harsh on Arlington...Chiatldal use to live in Arlington and he is giving an accurate view of the area. I guess some people forget there is a large Genearl Motors Plant in Arlington. There are plenty of corporation along I20 off Collins St. Besides Arlington population and density speaks for itself... It’s also more diverse than Dallas or Fort Worth…but everyone feels they are general expert of an area based on 1 or 2 visits. Besides as you mention earlier Arlington is home to the original Six Flags, Hurricane harbor, Ball Park and Arlington, and Cowboy Stadium. Pretty impressive I think for a suburb.
Do list the corporations near Collins on I-20. It's very small, and comparable to the HEB area (much smaller in population). Arlington has nothing on Plano, Irving, or Richardson as far as corporations go. Arlington also doesn't have public transportation like those cities do. Arlington is definitely behind. People talk about icons like Cowboys Stadium, Six Flags, and the Rangers, but that's all they are...icons. They don't provide much for the city residents at all. In fact, most hate even going near that area, due to the traffic. There is nothing special about Arlington, tbh... Another average, blue-collar suburb. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:13 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Do list the corporations. Arlington has nothing on Plano, Irving, or Richardson as far as corporations go. Arlington also doesn't have public transportation like those cities do. Arlington is definitely behind. People talk about icons like Cowboys Stadium, Six Flags, and the Rangers, but that's all they are all icons. Arlington is still behind the other suburbs.
I wasn't suggesting that Arlington is necessarily better than those places, but I've always looked at it as the third city of DFW.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I wasn't suggesting that Arlington is necessarily better than those places, but I've always looked at it as the third city of DFW.
I'm sure people do that because of the population of Arlington, but economic wise, I think those other suburbs are more important.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Do list the corporations near Collins on I-20. It's very small, and comparable to the HEB area (much smaller in population). Arlington has nothing on Plano, Irving, or Richardson as far as corporations go. Arlington also doesn't have public transportation like those cities do. Arlington is definitely behind. People talk about icons like Cowboys Stadium, Six Flags, and the Rangers, but that's all they are...icons. They don't provide much for the city residents at all. In fact, most hate even going near that area, due to the traffic. There is nothing special about Arlington, tbh... Another average, blue-collar suburb. Nothing wrong with that.
You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mines and just generalizing Arlington as a blue collar town is also not accurate. A lot of white collar workers around the Lake Arlington Area. The residents of Arlington continue to vote public transporation down (nothing the mayor or council members can do about that).

Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mines and just generalizing Arlington as a blue collar town is also not accurate. A lot of white collar workers around the Lake Arlington Area. The residents of Arlington continue to vote public transporation down (nothing the mayor or council members can do about that).
You're telling me about where I live. The vast majority of Arlington is blue collar. Even over by Lake Arlington. There are always going to be nice pockets in a city of Arlington's size, but for the most part, it's an average, blue-collar suburb. Yeah, people do bash on Arlington more than they need to, but this "city" wants to pretend it's a big city, yet doesn't have simple things like public transportation, and the Super Bowl fiasco was enough. It's not really generalizing when it's true. Even most of Irving is blue collar, but Irving has a huge white collar base, unlike Arlington. The Fort Worth side in general really lacks on the corporations department. They are mostly in Dallas or Collin County.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
You're telling me about where I live. The vast majority of Arlington is blue collar. Even over by Lake Arlington. There are always going to be nice pockets in a city of Arlington's size, but for the most part, it's an average, blue-collar suburb. Yeah, people do bash on Arlington more than they need to, but this "city" wants to pretend it's a big city, yet doesn't have simple things like public transportation, and the Super Bowl fiasco was enough. It's not really generalizing when it's true. Even most of Irving is blue collar, but Irving has a huge white collar base, unlike Arlington. The Fort Worth side in general really lacks on the corporations department. They are mostly in Dallas or Collin County.
So what I was born and raised in East Fort Worth...You think I dont have clue about Arlington LMAO.When did Arlington claim it wanted to be a big city? I have never heard that come out of anyone mouth in Arlington...They pretty much know they are a suburb of Fort Worth...I haven't even seen one Arlington homer on city-data as a matter of fact...Arlington has done nothing that warrants to be bashed...but anyway just agree to disagree...

Old 04-21-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
So what I was born and raised in East Fort Worth...You think I dont have clue about Arlington LMAO.When did Arlington claim it wanted to be a big city? I have never heard that come out of anyone mouth in Arlington...They pretty much know they are a suburb of Fort Worth...I haven't even seen one Arlington homer on city-data as a matter of fact...Arlington has done nothing that warrants to be bashed...but anyway just agree to disagree...
You obviously didn't go to school in Arlington like I did. People there think it's a big city and not just a Fort Worth suburb. In reality, Arlington is just an overgrown suburb. Nothing to special about it, save for the "entertainment" area.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
You obviously didn't go to school in Arlington like I did. People there think it's a big city and not just a Fort Worth suburb. In reality, Arlington is just an overgrown suburb. Nothing to special about it, save for the "entertainment" area.

I have never heard a Arlington resident make such claims...This site has it at 60% white collar...researching your zip code it’s even higher. 32% of Arlington population has a degree... Arlington is a mature suburb with a diverse population...People of all income level call the city home. You generalize too much for me...it’s no different than stereotyping... So saying Arlington is overwhelmingly blue collar town isn't accurate.

Arlington, Texas Demographics, Population, and Employment :: ZoomProspector.com

Arlington South Demographics and Schools in Arlington South, Texas

Old 04-22-2011, 05:21 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
) Oh lets be real Irving and etc are edge cities of Dallas, Irving has strong corporate base… well edge city usually do. There identity itself is blurred with Dallas it self, hell many folks DFW thinks the Telecom Corridor, and Las Colinas is in the city of Dallas. I know I read in one thread where some posters actually boast those places up to FT Worth nuts. I agree with Algreen, I tell you posters out there who don’t know much about DFW and who want to learn Don’t be mislead. People in Arlington don’t view there city as a big city but they do view the place as having a identity so does people generally in DFW, hate or love the place. It’s the 3rd brand. I guess face doesn’t like that or feel Arlington doesn’t deserve it. I don’t know.

When al said “Arlington is so much larger and is considered the halfway point…….. quintessential suburb……. It's also home to icons of the Metroplex It's essentially the third city of DFW” is right on the money he is not tripping.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
I have never heard a Arlington resident make such claims...This site has it at 60% white collar...researching your zip code it’s even higher. 32% of Arlington population has a degree... Arlington is a mature suburb with a diverse population...People of all income level call the city home. You generalize too much for me...it’s no different than stereotyping... So saying Arlington is overwhelmingly blue collar town isn't accurate.

Arlington, Texas Demographics, Population, and Employment :: ZoomProspector.com

Arlington South Demographics and Schools in Arlington South, Texas
Did you see what they included for white collar workers? It's why Arlington's media income is much lower than say, Plano, which has about the same percentage of white collar workers (as defined by that site). It only takes a stroll around Arlington to know it's mostly a blue-collar/working class suburb. Of course there are rich enclaves sprinkled around, but you'll get that for a suburb of its size. Arlington does not give off a white-collar feel like Plano, Frisco, or McKinney do. Not sure why you're defending Arlington so much on this. Nothing wrong with being a blue-collar/working class suburb. Not every suburb is going to be white collar.

And I've heard Arlington residents make such claims. My Spanish teacher in high school especially one day. Especially when the new Cowboys Stadium was nearing completion. I even heard from someone that Arlington could pass up Fort Worth one day, but Dallas was too big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City