Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 03:38 PM

175 posts, read 227,291 times

Advertisements

Augusta GA

Old 02-04-2011, 09:49 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Savannah Georgia is NOT hillbilly. In fact most of Georgia isn't. There be rednecks, but few are the hillbillies.

I think people often forget the difference. A hillbilly isn't some whackadoo with no teeth and an obsession with purdy mouths. A hillbilly is a country fellow who lives a simple or at least modest life in the hills or mountains (that hill part is important). He may not be highly educated, but often you'll find they are the most genuine of people.

And believe me, there are educated hillbillies. I'm one of them. I don't have a diploma or anything like that, but as you can see I'm not entirely brain-addled. We often prefer the quiet rural life and we love our mountains. Most of us prefer to be referred to as "Mountain men" or the old term "Mountaineers". But hillbilly will do as long as it's used properly.

The folks who carry guns and scare you? Those aren't hillbillies. Those are criminals. They exist everywhere and come in all shapes and sizes.

Like I said in an earlier post, it's not so much scary as it is eerie to some. But it's just because it's unfamiliar territory to city folk. I'll be honest, as a rural mountain man I get a feeling of dread when I get near a big city. Probably the same feeling urban folks feel in the mountains. Just like them I have preconceived notions about what the area I'm in is really like.

This is life, everywhere is scary. It just varies depending on where a person is from.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:44 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Kansas City

Old 05-01-2011, 11:47 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Kansas City
Uh-huh, yeah.......right.......

Old 05-02-2011, 06:19 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
redneck is a more appropriate term.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
redneck is a more appropriate term.
There is a difference between a redneck and a hillbilly. Anybody can be a redneck, only some folks can be a hillbilly.

And it's not always a negative thing either. There are varying degrees of each.

Rednecks tend to be much more modern with technology than hillbillies, and frankly they tend to be dumber as well. However, hillbillies do tend to be less friendly to strangers, but that's not always the case.

Then you have the hardcore definition wherein both are strictly negative and exaggerated. Some people only use the terms in this context, intending them as insults. Oddly enough this was the origin of each. People like myself have been, I think the term is "re-appropriating" the words. Turning them into less negative and more prideful titles.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:18 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
There is a difference between a redneck and a hillbilly. Anybody can be a redneck, only some folks can be a hillbilly.

And it's not always a negative thing either. There are varying degrees of each.

Rednecks tend to be much more modern with technology than hillbillies, and frankly they tend to be dumber as well. However, hillbillies do tend to be less friendly to strangers, but that's not always the case.

Then you have the hardcore definition wherein both are strictly negative and exaggerated. Some people only use the terms in this context, intending them as insults. Oddly enough this was the origin of each. People like myself have been, I think the term is "re-appropriating" the words. Turning them into less negative and more prideful titles.

I would be offended if i were called either word, so i dont see them as prideful. I see a lot of places mentioned on here that i wouldnt define as "hillbilly" they are more redneck areas. Most southern cities and towns i would describe the people as rednecks, usually you have to be in the middle of nowhere to find hillbillies, but then again there are exceptions.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:40 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,117 times
I don't take offense to be called a HICK, my wife calls me that a lot. My mother in law calls me a Tennessee Hillbilly and that's just fine with me!

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I would be offended if i were called either word, so i dont see them as prideful. I see a lot of places mentioned on here that i wouldnt define as "hillbilly" they are more redneck areas. Most southern cities and towns i would describe the people as rednecks, usually you have to be in the middle of nowhere to find hillbillies, but then again there are exceptions.

That is your opinion and I will defend to the death your right to have it!

But when people call me a hillbilly I say, "damn right!"

I don't like redneck though. And I REALLY hate being called a yankee. Northerner will do.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyogelvie View Post
I don't take offense to be called a HICK, my wife calls me that a lot. My mother in law calls me a Tennessee Hillbilly and that's just fine with me!

I wouldn't have it any other way.
I feel the same way. Some of my friends call me a hillbilly. Wouldn't change it.

Mountain man works for me as well. Even though I'm from the hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City