Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to live in the most?
North Carolina 164 48.24%
New York 176 51.76%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:32 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
Beautiful, of course. But rural America still has that creep factor. When I went camping as a kid in the Pacific Northwest, and then when I moved to the East coast and explored some very beautiful countryside, I always felt a subtle, ominous vibe---like I was going to stumble upon a dead body or come across some crazed axe murderer. I get no such vibe exploring rural Europe.
I guess Paris Hilton's The Simple Life go's camping really wasn't that far off. These ludicrous judgements are nothing more than silly or paranoid boogieman falacies and truely lack any substance on what's real in rural America. Sounds more like an opinion based on horror movies and reality TV.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-22-2011 at 01:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 05:53 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What's the difference?
The difference between LI's and OBX's beaches is laughable. I also enjoy the Smokies over the Adirondacks. Warmer weather = more hiking.

There are lots of great places in NY, I just prefer NC.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:18 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
honestly i feel like virginia is better than nc in every way. i don't see a real point in even going to nc when va is right above it and georgia is right below it.

thats just my personal opinion tho and i know it'll probably offend nc natives but thats not what i'm trying to do. i just feel like nc doesn't offer anything that va doesn't and that va offers far more.
Sounds like you know next to nothing about NC if you think that it doesn't offer anything that VA doesn't. For starters, you've got major league pro sports, one of the best college basketball scenes in the nation, the Outer Banks, Asheville, etc. Surely VA has its own unique offerings as well, but I don't know where "far more" is coming from.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:33 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Sounds like you know next to nothing about NC if you think that it doesn't offer anything that VA doesn't. For starters, you've got major league pro sports, one of the best college basketball scenes in the nation, the Outer Banks, Asheville, etc. Surely VA has its own unique offerings as well, but I don't know where "far more" is coming from.
Yeah NC>VA, in so many ways.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:27 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
Quote:
i know a lot about nc, thank you.

i just know what i prefer and why. one could live in va and be in the dmv area and it trumps anything in nc IMO. and you have your sports teams (redskins, wizards, nationals).

for me personally, professional sports > college sports. i understand that in nc its completely different.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 AM

13 posts, read 29,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Despite being a native of NY I've got to say NC here. It's my favorite southern state. Great mountains, great beaches, a few interesting places in between, too.

NY has better mountains than NC. NY is more scenic than NC. NY has better beaches than NC. NYC is more interesting than those Podunk "interesting" NC places.

Stupid thread. NY is the better state.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:48 AM
eek

pretty much.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:48 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,256,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I guess Paris Hilton's The Simple Life go's camping really wasn't that far off. These ludicrous judgements are nothing more than silly or paranoid boogieman falacies and truely lack any substance on what's real in rural America. Sounds more like an opinion based on horror movies and reality TV.

I do not watch reality TV, nor have I ever watched a show called Simple Lives. I do not see how your strange, shrill obsession with reality TV stars and Paris Hilton has any relevance to the topic at hand.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:51 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i know a lot about nc, thank you.

i just know what i prefer and why. one could live in va and be in the dmv area and it trumps anything in nc IMO. and you have your sports teams (redskins, wizards, nationals).

for me personally, professional sports > college sports. i understand that in nc its completely different.
None of those teams are actually in Virginia though. Of course if you include DMV, we're actually talking about two states and a federal district vs just one state. But within NC itself, you have three major league pro teams and and an awesome college basketball scene, whereas in VA itself you have neither (although VA offers other things to its credit).

You probably should have just said that VA suits you better personally (which seems like it's only because of NoVA) instead of saying that the state overall offers "far more" when that's obviously not true on a statewide level.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:59 AM
eek

Quote:
None of those teams are actually in Virginia though. Of course if you include DMV, we're actually talking about two states and a federal district vs just one state. But within NC itself, you have three major league pro teams and and an awesome college basketball scene, whereas in VA itself you have neither (although VA offers other things to its credit).

You probably should have just said that VA suits you better personally (which seems like it's only because of NoVA) instead of saying that the state overall offers "far more" when that's obviously not true on a statewide level.
i meant the VA side of the dmv. i'd rather live there than any part of nc. thats just me, tho.

what is the third major league team in nc? panthers, bobcats and...? oh, you mean hockey. well...yeah...i don't follow hockey a lot, lol. dc has the capitals, which if you live in nova you'd have access to. again, the college scene is good as well.

i feel like nova alone offers more than nc. again, my opinion. just like i feel like nyc alone carries the state in this topic, although obviously ny has more going for it than just nyc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City