Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 AM

332 posts, read 449,017 times

Advertisements

I'm 17 years old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 11:29 AM

554 posts, read 2,501,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
First off if Chicago has something that stands out anyone in America would know about it, I wasn't judging the city of Chicago by saying "Oh my god I bet it's boring there" "I bet Chicago has no nightlife!"...I was saying Chicago has nothing that stands out like NYC and L.A. does.

I bet if you ask someone to name something that NYC has, they would tell you alot of things, same with NYC.

With Chicago, they will struggle with thinking of something because their is nothing really there that stands out.
In a sense, I agree. Being from Chicago, I know what's here. Although I haven't been to NYC, I know about Broadway, Times Square, 5th Avenue, etc. I haven't been to LA either, but I know about Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and the illegal immigration problem.

With Chicago, you have plenty to do.. the Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier, etc.. They're just not as well known. Which is why Chicago is one of America's hidden secrets. Few cities in North America have public transportation as extensive as we do. We have the largest food festival each year. One of the best skylines in the world. You have to come here to realize how great the city is, instead of just going by what you know is there.

I'm not saying Chicago is paradise.. everyone has their own opinion of paradise. But what I am saying, is if you come to visit Chicago, you might find yourself suprised.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:31 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Id argue that the Magnificent Mile isnt well known. Its usually rated in the top 5 shopping areas of the world, not just the states.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
In a sense, I agree. Being from Chicago, I know what's here. Although I haven't been to NYC, I know about Broadway, Times Square, 5th Avenue, etc. I haven't been to LA either, but I know about Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and the illegal immigration problem.

With Chicago, you have plenty to do.. the Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier, etc.. They're just not as well known. Which is why Chicago is one of America's hidden secrets. Few cities in North America have public transportation as extensive as we do. We have the largest food festival each year. One of the best skylines in the world. You have to come here to realize how great the city is, instead of just going by what you know is there.

I'm not saying Chicago is paradise.. everyone has their own opinion of paradise. But what I am saying, is if you come to visit Chicago, you might find yourself suprised.
Thank you Chicagoland! I don't have anything agianst Chicago and I understand you Chicagoians have pride in your city, but all I was saying is that alot of the attractions aren't well known as the attractions in NYC or L.A. I bet if I did visit Chicago I'd love the city and have a great time there! I've always wanted to visit Chicago because I've heard nothing but great things about it on this forum.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:04 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I try to like LA, I do. But it's hard to do so when Angelenos are out dogging NYC and Chicago. A good example is the post about the Dodgers commentator who said "living in Chicago is punishment enough." That did it right there for me. I'm not going to sit there and take punches. Angelenos want to start ****, but they don't want to fight back.
No, we don't want to fight back. Don't have the time or patience. Are too busy having a life. Most of the arguments are so ridculous and silly, there's no point.

Also, get your stories straight. First you claim LA is your "second home" and then you claim you've only been there once for a wedding. I mean if you want to be a storyteller, be good at it.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
I don't have to visit a city to know exactly what is it main attractions! Your just calling me ignorant because you know I'm right, I wasn't trying to bash Chicago and I'm sure it's better than many other cities in American but imo it still dosen't match up with L.A or NYC.
I call you ignorant because you don't even know what its attractions are except for the Sears Tower. And then you claim that since it has no other attractions, it's no different than any other city in America. Buy a clue. Financing is available at your local clue dealer.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:15 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Chicago should not be judged in the same way as NYC , and ..Shakeytown.
First and foremost , it, IS MIDWESTERN , thru and thru. If you are from the Midwest you would understand. Yes , the days of the Stockyards are gone, and , so are some of the grain ports , but it still is the Capital City of Mid America. That is enough ,.........for me. My kinda town , Chicago is.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:22 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times
Chicago is the New York of the Midwest,or the L.A. of the Midwest.Its our big city.Here is what I think are he most influencial cities of each region.
Midwest-Chicago
Northeast-New York City
West or West Coast-Los Angeles
Great Plains-Houston unless you want to group Texas with the South
South-Atlanta
Southwest-Phoenix unless you group this region with West

Old 08-06-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I call you ignorant because you don't even know what its attractions are except for the Sears Tower. And then you claim that since it has no other attractions, it's no different than any other city in America. Buy a clue. Financing is available at your local clue dealer.
How about you read more carefully next time because what I said was Chicago's attractions aren't as "WELL!" known as NYC,and L.A. attractions. Quiting reading only what you want to read than reply back with insults when your doing nothing but making yourself look more stupid.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
The following are your words, not mine (emphasis added):
Quote:
The reason I say this is because basically Chicago is like any other American city with a great skyline and more density! It's nothing their that really stands out, sure it has the Sears Tower but that can be seen from pictures.

When I think NYC I think excitement, "Massive City", Time Square,Central Park etc.

When I think L.A. I think fun,Hollywood,Stars,Nightlife,and of course Hollywood Hills.

When I think Chicago I think............................................. Sears Tower?...
You are responsible for your own statements and implications therein. Your inability to think of any other attraction besides the Sears Tower is your problem, not ours -- or anyone else's who knows anything about the city even if they've never been here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City