Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 06:22 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,991,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
And Chicago ended last year with a 16% increase and the nationwide media was absolutely freaking out about it as some sort of "epic year". This year Dallas is almost up almost 50% and Chicago is down 40% and you hear nothing about either. It's so strange, I assume just must due to the fact Obama is from here or something.

There's a top story on CNN right now about Chicago ending the first quarter with 70 homicides and talking about treating the gangs as terrorists and living in fear. If that rate held it's the exact same rate as cities like Omaha, Boston, Fort Wayne, Phoenix and lower than places like Atlanta, DC, Houston and Dallas. Just so random to pick it out of all places.

As far as Dallas, that is pretty crazy to be up 50%. Indianapolis is also up to 41 homicides, which is up over 33% from last year.
@ percent increase.

Murders in Dallas are up by 13, youre going off a tangent for 13 murders in a big city and this is one of those times where %'s dont tell the story as well as raw #'s do. Relax guy, the city isnt going in shambles and FYI DC, Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston all have lower murder rates than Chicago from last year. Dont spin this the other way around and bring violent crime crap nonsense into this murder thread either.

BTW, Chicago's murder problems deserve to be on CNN in national spotlight, its sick how violent the gang related massacres are there. Sick. I watch reports about it on Early Start with Zoraida and then in the evening with Cooper. Your city is out of control!

Last edited by scrantiX; 04-24-2013 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 06:56 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
@ percent increase.

Murders in Dallas are up by 13, youre going off a tangent for 13 murders in a big city and this is one of those times where %'s dont tell the story as well as raw #'s do. Relax guy, the city isnt going in shambles and FYI DC, Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston all have lower murder rates than Chicago from last year. Dont spin this the other way around and bring violent crime crap nonsense into this murder thread either.

BTW, Chicago's murder problems deserve to be on CNN in national spotlight, its sick how violent the gang related massacres are there. Sick. I watch reports about it on Early Start with Zoraida and then in the evening with Cooper. Your city is out of control!
Wait a minute...so percent increase *doesn't* matter in Dallas because the city is too big (at 1.2 million) but it *does* matter in Chicago (2.7 million), so then we *can't* be happy that Chicago is recording another large percentage decrease in total homicides this year, mirroring a nearly two decade decrease in homicides in the city that have been virtually halved?! What the hell...a double standard if I've ever heard one. And yet, despite the seemingly anomalous increase last year, Chicago *still* doesn't have the highest homicide rate in the Midwest and, if I recall correctly, it still doesn't crack the top 10 rate nationwide.

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 04-24-2013 at 07:07 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,991,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Wait a minute...so percent increase *doesn't* matter in Dallas because the city is too big (at 1.2 million) but it *does* matter in Chicago (2.7 million)
Cool your jets Padawan, I never said that.

I think Chicago's off to a right track because it's murder count is numerically much less. I dont think Dallas is becoming a shambled hellhole because it gained 13 murders and only an idiot would think it is over such a small number.

#rawnumbersamigo

Old 04-24-2013, 07:29 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
Quote:

I think Chicago's off to a right track because it's murder count is numerically much less. I dont think Dallas is becoming a shambled hellhole because it gained 13 murders and only an idiot would think it is over such a small number.

#rawnumbersamigo
And the previous poster said absolutely nothing about Dallas becoming a "shambled hellhole" because of its large percentage increase in homicides, either.

Since the early 90s Chicago's homicides are down nearly 400+ homicides a year(!) and are nearly 50% less than the early 90s. A nearly halved murder rate while maintaining roughly the same population from 1990 to 2010 is pretty good, in my opinion. I think I echo many previous posters' sentiments that express happiness in the fact the Chicago's homicide rate and total homicides have, on average, decreased over two decades, and we hope that the trend continues.

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 04-24-2013 at 08:48 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 PM

90 posts, read 97,769 times
A 46% increase year over year is terrifying.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:37 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,838 times
Quote:
And Chicago ended last year with a 16% increase and the nationwide media was absolutely freaking out about it as some sort of "epic year". This year Dallas is almost up almost 50% and Chicago is down 40% and you hear nothing about either. It's so strange, I assume just must due to the fact Obama is from here or something.

There's a top story on CNN right now about Chicago ending the first quarter with 70 homicides and talking about treating the gangs as terrorists and living in fear. If that rate held it's the exact same rate as cities like Omaha, Boston, Fort Wayne, Phoenix and lower than places like Atlanta, DC, Houston and Dallas. Just so random to pick it out of all places.

As far as Dallas, that is pretty crazy to be up 50%. Indianapolis is also up to 41 homicides, which is up over 33% from last year.
Hopefully the trend will continue: Chicago is a great city and deserves more attention to its amazing architecture, parks, food, economic and cultural opportunities, etc etc.
But the rightwing has fagocized the discussion on its problems as if gun violence affects just Chicago
Come on, there are several cities - in gun-toting states - with higher murder rates: cities that also don't offer all the amazing things that Chicago does.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:

So with murders at their lowest rates right now since the 1950's, (last year was up 16% to levels seen around 2008, but still sharply lower than anything before 2003) violent crime down from around 92,000 incidents in the 1990's to around 25,000 today, sharp reductions in shootins, etc. you're saying the city is out of control?? What was it during the past 50 years when all varients of crime were much higher?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:

#rawnumbersamigo
I think everyone's jets are cooled. We're simply having a debate here. I never said a word about Dallas being some hell hole or anything like that. My point was only based on how media picks and chooses the "problems" and then goes to town on them. Last year and even this year they were obsessed with Chicago murders, which yes were terrible, but pound for pound certainly not that much worse than many many other large cities around the country. Or the fact that this all-caps headline coverage of a murder spree and insane wave of violence was a 16% jump in homicides up to levels seen 4 years previously. That's hardly earth shattering. I'm not downplaying Chicago's crime at all, just that they go crazy when it jumps 16%, then aren't interested in all when it drops 40% to levels seen when Eisenhower was president.

They jumped all over Chicago's % increase last year, but could care less that Dallas is up 46% or Indianapolis has a current rate higher than Chicago's last year during our "wave of terror". Don't join a gang and then go wander around gang infested areas and your chances of being murdered drop by 80%. Certain neighborhoods are out of control, but 75% of the city lives in areas where any murder is quite unusual and surprising.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
I think everyone's jets are cooled. We're simply having a debate here. I never said a word about Dallas being some hell hole or anything like that. My point was only based on how media picks and chooses the "problems" and then goes to town on them. Last year and even this year they were obsessed with Chicago murders, which yes were terrible, but pound for pound certainly not that much worse than many many other large cities around the country. Or the fact that this all-caps headline coverage of a murder spree and insane wave of violence was a 16% jump in homicides up to levels seen 4 years previously. That's hardly earth shattering. I'm not downplaying Chicago's crime at all, just that they go crazy when it jumps 16%, then aren't interested in all when it drops 40% to levels seen when Eisenhower was president.
It has to with people's poor math skills. They tend to look at total number of homicides, and ignore the per capita rate. Chicago often wins the dubious distinction of "most homicides" but has never, ever had the highest per capita rate. Of the top 5 cities by population, Philadelphia has always had a higher rate than Chicago. Also the fact that the President is from Chicago gives the media (especially the partisan Right media) an additional hook to focus on Chicago.

It is a little bit disconcerting that Chicago has not seen as dramatic a decrease in homicides as LA and NYC.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
It has to with people's poor math skills. They tend to look at total number of homicides, and ignore the per capita rate. Chicago often wins the dubious distinction of "most homicides" but has never, ever had the highest per capita rate. Of the top 5 cities by population, Philadelphia has always had a higher rate than Chicago. Also the fact that the President is from Chicago gives the media (especially the partisan Right media) an additional hook to focus on Chicago.

It is a little bit disconcerting that Chicago has not seen as dramatic a decrease in homicides as LA and NYC.
I think it's only happened a few times actually. 2003 and last year. Maybe 2008?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City