Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 11:49 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Those must be those "New Black" people like Pharrell.

On the other hand, it's mostly like a snide way to shade at cities that are clearly offer superior amenities to Black folks.
lol. I met my first "New Black" person over 10 years ago. She was ahead of the times. I was mad at her then, not so much today. Seems to be par for the course with millennials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 12:18 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
But you don't necessarily have to be in a city with a lot of black professionals to enjoy living there as a black person. When I lived in Seattle I enjoyed my life there. I still went to black film festivals, festivals, concerts, parties, black Baptist churches. Ate soul food or southern cuisine on occasion. That along with the well known Seattle amenities made it an enjoyable city to live in.
Nobody said a Black person can't enjoy living in a city without a large Black population. That's not really the point of the thread.

I don't see Atlanta or DC being any different from a Jewish person who wants to live in NYC because of its strong Jewish character. How is that any different?

Old 03-20-2015, 12:27 PM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Now if you're in a city like, Madison, Wisconsin, then I can see where you're coming from. But even then cities like Milwaukee and Chicago are within driving distance. Or maybe Austin, or Albuquerque.
Even in Madison, you could find like minded folks: 100 Black Men of Madison, Inc.

Welcome to Our Home Page

Q&A: Nia Trammell says Madison has many growth opportunities for young professionals : Ct

Old 03-20-2015, 12:30 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
No one is avoiding Black professionals. If anything they're avoiding us.
What does that even mean?

Old 03-20-2015, 01:37 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Lol at the (conscious or unconscious) backhand to Atlanta with this diversity talk, as if Atlanta isn't diverse. Yeah, Houston may be more diverse than Atlanta, but it's not a light years difference. Essentially, Black people are to Atlanta as Latinos are to Houston. That doesn't mean there aren't lots of Latinos or Asians or Europeans or anyone else in Atlanta. In either city, one can choose to live in a "diverse" area or not. The only real big difference is that Houston doesn't have near the same amount of large middle class and higher majority black neighborhoods as Atlanta does.
Not essentially. Only by percentage. Latinos do not have the history and cultural footprint in Houston that Blacks have in Atlanta. Not even close. Blacks have been the largest minority group in Houston up until only a few short decades ago. The numbers of affluent and educated Blacks could easily makeup their own neighborhoods, but they're simply too integrated for that to be the case.

On another note, I seem to remember seeing some stats awhile back which showed that black men in Houston had a higher median wage than black men in Atlanta. I also believe that the rate of black poverty may be lower in Texas. Bajan?

Old 03-20-2015, 02:24 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What does that even mean?
Exactly what I said. Professional Black people aren't interested in fraternizing with common Blacks. That isn't necessarily a Black thing though. It isn't like we just aren't interested in hanging out with professional people. The average person, if they're not college educated, artistic, or self educated; they don't really know where to begin with the conversation.

Like I was getting at earlier, my experiences are different. Some college education. Private school. Parochial school, etc. I get around okay, considering. But most working class, etc. Maybe not so much. Everyone is different.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:26 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Not essentially. Only by percentage. Latinos do not have the history and cultural footprint in Houston that Blacks have in Atlanta. Not even close. Blacks have been the largest minority group in Houston up until only a few short decades ago. The numbers of affluent and educated Blacks could easily makeup their own neighborhoods, but they're simply too integrated for that to be the case.

On another note, I seem to remember seeing some stats awhile back which showed that black men in Houston had a higher median wage than black men in Atlanta. I also believe that the rate of black poverty may be lower in Texas. Bajan?
Yeah I don't agree with that part as well for the reasons you stated. Blacks in Houston have a much longer history than Latinos do. Prior to 1970, Houston was pretty much a Black and White city.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:43 PM

183 posts, read 249,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
From the most recent stats I could find (2011), black men in Atlanta have a higher median income. The black poverty rates are higher in Houston.

BlackDemographics.com | Houston

BlackDemographics.com | Atlanta

Old 03-20-2015, 05:21 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
From the most recent stats I could find (2011), black men in Atlanta have a higher median income. The black poverty rates are higher in Houston.

BlackDemographics.com | Houston

BlackDemographics.com | Atlanta
Well I do know that I remember seeing it much more recent than 2011, but we'll go with yours for now since that's all we have available. I can never find the stats I'm looking for.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:39 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
That's a very specific concern. I guess I'm just confused because I meet Black professionals all the time and I'm never looking for them. I meet them at the library, at church, everywhere. Plus with the Internet, its easy to meet Black people who are "like minded". It isn't the eighties where you had to be an insider.
It's a matter of degree. Almost everything that Atlanta, DC, and NYC (as well as the "secondary" cities, to a smaller extent) excel in when it comes to all things Black can be found in most sizable cities in the country, but there are just way more options across the board in those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City