Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 01:34 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, besides Houston and NYC, what other areas offer that balance of both worlds? This is just a general question anyone can answer.
Many other cities. I know SF doesn't have a large Black population but they have enough and it's pretty integrated throughout the metro IIRC. Chicago is very diverse though segregated. Same with DC to a lesser extent. In Miami, you have Blacks, Cubans, and other South American nationalities living side by side in many areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 01:48 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,101,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaitianYankee View Post
i tend to be interested in cities where the black population is doing good as a whole. Even if they're 5 percent of the population.
AMEN to that!!!!!

Old 03-19-2015, 02:13 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, besides Houston and NYC, what other areas offer that balance of both worlds? This is just a general question anyone can answer.
Atlanta and Memphis.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:14 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I suppose Atlanta has a serious advantage if your entire existence revolves around your Blackness. Most Houstonians are far too used to diversity to entertain such ideals.
Not entirely, but mostly--which is generally true. We all know that social circles in the U.S. are largely defined by race, even in the most diverse of cities. Atlanta certainly has enough diversity for one to get his/her multicultural fix while also enjoying the immensity of the Black cultural infrastructure which exists there.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:58 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Yes! I agree. Most blacks here will bring up how diverse Houston is, while saying it's a great place for blacks. IMO, Houston is the best of both worlds: black world and diverse world.
My feelings exactly.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:06 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not entirely, but mostly--which is generally true. We all know that social circles in the U.S. are largely defined by race, even in the most diverse of cities. Atlanta certainly has enough diversity for one to get his/her multicultural fix while also enjoying the immensity of the Black cultural infrastructure which exists there.
If and when that happens, but my experience in Atlanta is that the races were noticeably less likely to be socially integrated than in Houston. That's the point Southernboy was making when he said it had the best of both worlds.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
If and when that happens, but my experience in Atlanta is that the races were noticeably less likely to be socially integrated than in Houston. That's the point Southernboy was making when he said it had the best of both worlds.
I wasn't responding to his point, but your's. Overall, social circles are mainly stratified by race in America regardless of diversity within cities and truthfully, many of the people who like to brag about diversity in general are quite unlikely to truly have several friends of different races. I'm not saying it's true of you or Southern boy, but just in general. But in most major metros, exposure to other races is something that can happen pretty easily.

I think it's also important to note that there's diversity within races as well.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:29 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I wasn't responding to his point, but your's. Overall, social circles are mainly stratified by race in America regardless of diversity within cities and truthfully, many of the people who like to brag about diversity in general are quite unlikely to truly have several friends of different races. I'm not saying it's true of you or Southern boy, but just in general. But in most major metros, exposure to other races is something that can happen pretty easily.

I think it's also important to note that there's diversity within races as well.
I don't know man... In my own experience from living in ATL and LA is that I had many more friends who were not my shade in LA than ATL. All my friends in ATL were/are black. I wish I could combine what I love about LA and ATL but that is just not possible.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I don't know man... In my own experience from living in ATL and LA is that I had many more friends who were not my shade in LA than ATL. All my friends in ATL were/are black. I wish I could combine what I love about LA and ATL but that is just not possible.
I'm speaking generally...I know that doesn't apply to each and every person.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:42 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
There are no cities. There are neighborhoods, regardless of which city you live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City