Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 10:35 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I cannot believe this is still going strong

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uu3kCEEc98

Old 09-04-2015, 11:50 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
You didn't get my point, either. Lambeau IS much more iconic than the Astrodome. I let it fly for a while, but you kind of don't understand everything, yourself. I really, honestly, don't care to argue about that, but I really get tired of someone thinking that nothing can be better than that which exists in their city. Houston is fine, I'm sure, but I have as much desire to visit, as you do to visit Wisconsin. I like my cities dense and by water. Houston is spread out too far, and is only as big as it is, due to annexation for tax revenue. That's unappealing. I like suburbs, oddly enough, but not when they are used to serve a city by raising population. Houston just isn't dense enough, at least for me.
You didn't really make much of a point to begin with. While you just say it is so when claiming the Lambeau is more iconic than the Astrodome, my statement of the Astrodome being iconic and revolutionary in a way other stadiums weren't is backed by hard, historical fact:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/41082995-post543.html

Honestly, I don't like how large Houston's city limits are either, and do indeed believe the city would be more manageable with smaller city limits, at least limited to inside the 610 Loop. Such huge city limits spread the myth about the city not being able to support high-density walkable development; even though the city limits are huge, there is still a distinct central core, inside 610, that was designed to sustain high density, and the mathematically sound street-grid shows that. The area is pretty dense for a sunbelt area. That area can easily be changed to create a decent urban environment.

As far as being by water, Houston does front a waterways; it sits on the confluence of multiple waterways, the largest being Buffalo Bayou. Of course, a quick 30-45 min drive from the city takes you to the great ocean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Two morals perfectly sum up this thread:

1.) You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink, and
2.) Beating a dead horse with a stick is a waste of time

Therefore, I bid farewell.
Good riddance.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:01 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Lambeau is iconic, but please remember this stadium has been revamped over the years. This is not the same stadium as when the Packers won back to back championships in the late 60's. However, points for being in the same location and keeping the general feeling alive.

The Astrodome is also iconic, because it was the first major multi-purpose domed stadium. It also provided some needed help during Hurricane Katrina. I visited Houston last week and I almost cried as this stadium sits there in the middle of nowhere with no purpose. Such a great history, yet serves nobody. Perhaps it is time to tear it down, and make sure that something important goes up in its place.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:01 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times
Lambeau is obviously 1000x more iconic than the Astrodome, and even Lambeau is a nonentity when it comes to global/widespread tourist appeal.

Green Bay isn't even on the tourist radar. Sports stadia aren't exactly major tourist draws.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:23 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Lambeau is obviously 1000x more iconic than the Astrodome, and even Lambeau is a nonentity when it comes to global/widespread tourist appeal.

Green Bay isn't even on the tourist radar. Sports stadia aren't exactly major tourist draws.
With perhaps the exception of Wrigley Field in Chicago, and Fenway in Boston. And even Lambeau to some extent. But off topic...back to Houston, any comments on Minute Maid? How about the Texan's stadium?

Old 09-05-2015, 12:48 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
A 600 foot mechanical bull would bring in the crowds.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Lambeau is iconic, but please remember this stadium has been revamped over the years. This is not the same stadium as when the Packers won back to back championships in the late 60's. However, points for being in the same location and keeping the general feeling alive.

The Astrodome is also iconic, because it was the first major multi-purpose domed stadium. It also provided some needed help during Hurricane Katrina. I visited Houston last week and I almost cried as this stadium sits there in the middle of nowhere with no purpose. Such a great history, yet serves nobody. Perhaps it is time to tear it down, and make sure that something important goes up in its place.
Exactly, you have an iconic structure, standing quite boldly, yet everybody just wants to tear it down. How uncreative.

Quote:
You are just saying this just to say it; I have actually backed my claim (that the Astrodome is a marvel, and was innovative in a way no other stadium in the US was) with hard, solid facts, and articles. Said article even has examples showing the dome's influence extending even as far as Osaka in Japan. So, having established that the Astrodome has, at least, a degree of global impact, while Lambeau is a nonentity(as you say) in global appeal, it is solidly clear that the Astrodome is more iconic worldwide than the Lambeau.

Quote:
And yet the tourism for the Colosseum in Rome proves that they can...

Old 09-05-2015, 02:01 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I've read a few pages of this thread and the foolishness is coming from one delusional Houston booster. I haven't seen this type of boosting since Metro Matt and it's making me wonder if they're one in the same people.

Houston is a fine city but there is absolutely nothing iconic about it.
Says an Atlanta poster.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:16 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Exactly, you have an iconic structure, standing quite boldly, yet everybody just wants to tear it down. How uncreative.

You are just saying this just to say it; I have actually backed my claim (that the Astrodome is a marvel, and was innovative in a way no other stadium in the US was) with hard, solid facts, and articles. Said article even has examples showing the dome's influence extending even as far as Osaka in Japan. So, having established that the Astrodome has, at least, a degree of global impact, while Lambeau is a nonentity(as you say) in global appeal, it is solidly clear that the Astrodome is more iconic worldwide than the Lambeau.

And yet the tourism for the Colosseum in Rome proves that they can...
The Colosseum in Rome hasn't regularly hosted "sports" in how long? I don't see how you can call others out on faulty logic, yet you continue to use double standards in your grading criteria. Just face it: the Astrodome hasn't been relevant for a long time, unlike the Colosseum, and is NOT globally renowned in 2015 like it was in 1970-something.

Yes, Houston is very overlooked nationally/globally for a city/metro of its size. Deal with it. NASA isn't front page news these days, the Astrodome is dead and almost buried, and even your recently competitive sports teams aren't HUGE like the Cowboys or Lakers. They're not even winners usually. The '94/95 Rockets aren't respected like the similar, earlier Pistons Bad Boys because they're viewed as Jordan era placeholders when he was out, the '05 Astros got swept, and the current Texans are a JJ Watt hyped, underachieving mediocre squad. Houston literally has just Beyonce at this point for national/global recognition on a level besides just energy/nerdy business cred. Sorry, Joel Osteen doesn't cut it quite enough on a global level. And wake us up when The Beard/Watt actually wins something. Signed, the rest of vapid America/The World.

P.S. Houston is a great city. My ex was from Katy, so I'm intimately familiar with it. Why the homers want to argue that it isn't overlooked is beyond me, though. Being overlooked is more of a GOOD thing in my book. And lol at the Astrodome reverence. If that ***t was the Colosseum or Empire State Building of Houston it wouldn't be empty and they certainly wouldn't be trying to tear it down!

Last edited by qworldorder; 09-05-2015 at 02:37 AM..

Old 09-05-2015, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
The Colosseum in Rome hasn't regularly hosted "sports" in how long? I don't see how you can call others out on faulty logic, yet you continue to use double standards in your grading criteria. Just face it: the Astrodome hasn't been relevant for a long time, unlike the Colosseum, and is NOT globally renowned in 2015 like it was in 1970-something.
The fact still remains that the Colosseum is an ancient Roman construct built for the purposes of watching events like gladitorial matches; essentially, a sports stadium. However, with due time, and reverence, without the meddling of pessimistic fools who wanted to tear it down, the Colosseum stood the test of time, and eventually started being seen as the icon it is now.

The Astrodome is also a construct built for the purposes of hosting sports matches. Like the Colosseum, it was seen as a engineering marvel for its time, and was a trendsetter in many aspects. Really, the only key difference boils down to the fact that the Colosseum was founded in the Ancient Roman period, while the Dome was founded in the mid-20th Century.

Although the Dome does not have near the amount of historical depth and implication as the Colosseum, it still has enough depth to leave a legacy in the minds of many across the country, and has indeed served as a symbol of modern ingenuity in its prime. It may not have near the amount of praise in 2015, but the legacy it has, as well as the solid historical facts outlining its prominence, still exist. The Colosseum was able to stand the test of time, not being hindered by all the pessimistic fools who wanted to take it down, or by vandals who raided it, and was able to be seen as something more than just another sports stadium. As the Dome resists its detractors, the same will happen for it as well.

Quote:
Yes, Houston is very overlooked nationally/globally for a city/metro of its size. Deal with it. NASA isn't front page news these days, the Astrodome is dead and almost buried, and even your recently competitive sports teams aren't HUGE like the Cowboys or Lakers. They're not even winners usually. The '94/95 Rockets aren't respected like the similar, earlier Pistons Bad Boys because they're viewed as Jordan era placeholders when he was out, the '05 Astros got swept, and the current Texans are a JJ Watt hyped, underachieving mediocre squad. Houston literally has just Beyonce at this point for national/global recognition on a level besides just energy/nerdy business cred. Sorry, Joel Osteen doesn't cut it quite enough on a global level. And wake us up when The Beard/Watt actually wins something. Signed, the rest of vapid America.
Are you serious?

Quote:
P.S. Houston is a great city. My ex was from Katy, so I'm intimately familiar with it. Why the homers want to argue that it isn't overlooked is beyond me, though. Being overlooked is more of a GOOD thing in my book. And lol at the Astrodome reverence. If that ***t was the Colosseum or Empire State Building of Houston it wouldn't be empty and they certainly wouldn't be trying to tear it down!
Houston is overlooked; I simply don't agree with the reasons people have been giving about the circumstance on this thread, and none of the alleged boosters talked of it not being overlooked.

Can you expound on why you think Houston being overlooked is a good thing?

The real Houstonians, those who are truly and deeply attached to the heart and soul of the city, love the Astrodome, and do indeed see it as their Colosseum; they don't want it gone. Its the fake Houstonians, those who have no attachment to the city, that want it to come down; many of them live in "Houston" (read: suburban area outside of Houston), or are transplants who came to the city solely for work, and nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City