Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:10 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Maybe post-Katrina, but even so, just because people know about a city and move there doesn't mean one city influences the other in any real way. The kind of influence I'm talking about is the cultural impact one city makes on another, usually in its region. How has Houston impacted New Orleans culturally? Maybe there are examples, but I can't think of any, would-be rappers aside.
Well if that is the case no city really has no influence over anyone. I can't think of a way how NYC or LA or CHI has influenced me.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:16 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
San Antonio/Austin area is definitely not mid size cities. Anyone who ever been there knows better. If these two cities were in GA they probably would share the dominance of the state with Atlanta and we are not even includling Fort Worth, El Paso, Houston or Dallas

Old 12-31-2008, 11:22 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well if that is the case no city really has no influence over anyone. I can't think of a way how NYC or LA or CHI has influenced me.
Well, NYC and L.A. are on another scale. They have the media, so their sphere of influence is worldwide.

When it comes to the Chicagos and the Houstons, these cities influence the smaller cities and towns nearby in their region, like DFW influences the lesser cities in the *gag* metroplex. But even using NYC as an example locally, it definitely has influence over much of New Jersey, for example, at least the northern part of the state, which serves as little more than a giant suburb of NYC. I guess that's the kind of impact and influence I'm talking about. I just don't see Houston having a "reach" as far as New Orleans that has the same effect, mainly because New Orleans is a city in its own right that influences others close to it.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:26 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
San Antonio/Austin area is definitely not mid size cities. Anyone who ever been there knows better. If these two cities were in GA they probably would share the dominance of the state with Atlanta and we are not even includling Fort Worth, El Paso, Houston or Dallas
No, they would not. Both cities combined are still much smaller than Atlanta.

From reading your posts all over the forum, it is very clear that you wish these two cities are combined. They haven't, and it will be years before they do combine - if ever.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:05 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Okay, polo89. You need to re-read my post that you quoted. S L O W L Y.

I am talking about the Southern Regional offices of all of those agencies. And yes, they are all still HQ'd in DC. Never said otherwise. However, all of those Federal Agencies that affect Florida have thier SOUTHERN REGIONAL HQ's here. Has nothing to do with the ports, DHL in Broward, CSX in Jacksonville, your families next door upscale Haitians, etc. It is about the influence of the Federal Government - nothing more, nothing less. And all of those agencies that touch all of our lives happen to be based here - FOR OUR REGION.

And yes, SunTrust is HQ'd in Downtown Atlanta.
Who said anything about haitians to you. I was quoting someone else. Anyways I see what you mean. But the way you said it made sound as if you meant that everything in ATL somehow affects what they do down here. My bad.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:12 PM

You mentioned that your Aunt lived next door to some Haitians, that is the only reason I mentioned it.

THANK YOU polo89 for reading and understanding my post. I appreciate the fact that at least one person responded that they get what I was trying to say!

Old 12-31-2008, 12:27 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Who said anything about haitians to you. I was quoting someone else. Anyways I see what you mean. But the way you said it made sound as if you meant that everything in ATL somehow affects what they do down here.
That's what I thought he meant, and I even said that ATL doesn't.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:37 PM

Then you didn't read what I wrote - you read what you wanted to read. I never said anything that wasn't totally true.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:58 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Then you didn't read what I wrote - you read what you wanted to read. I never said anything that wasn't totally true.
I did read what you wrote and you DID say that Atlanta controls Florida (or something to that effect).

Old 12-31-2008, 01:59 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
The only big city near Atlanta is Miami, and that really isn't considered the south. The only truly big cities in the south are Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston, and Dallas and Houston are halfway across the country from Atlanta. So I'd say Atlanta is at the very least the capital of the southeast.

MIAMI is the south man Im from there and its the south the only reason it looks so different fromthe rest of the USA is because its close to the islands and south america MIAMI is the South and anyone from miami will tell you it is its not north west east its south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City