Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 10:13 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times

Advertisements

Big D is the 'ish'!!! Shouts out to Forth Worth too!!! We see y'all down here in Charlotte!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 10:21 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,297 times
I agree with you. Dallas, like all other big cities, certainly is seeking more energy efficient ways and is marketing this life style to the general public. This trend is inevitable and is good as well. And, as the city grows and becomes denser, this is a natural thing to follow. However, Dallas works fine right now in its current status. It doesn't need to magically become as dense as the northeast because we (or should I say they, because I am not in Dallas), people are choosing the life styles. The energy efficient thing will have to get through to people over time. And let's be honest, the densest regions around the country all have their historic and geographic reasons. It is not like their city planners were smarter than other cities'. Dallas is building denser neighborhoods as well as the public transportation to suit the growing population, not to try to gain respect from anybody. It is not a crime to own big houses and to drive. It is just a lifestyle most people enjoy, and sometimes have to compromise because of the growing population density.

Dallas is a city that has all the amenities that I need, and I know I can get them if I live there (either by driving or taking the public transportation, it doesn't matter to me). That is most important to me. Dallas's traffic is fine from my visit. I know there will be hard times, but it is not always like that. I do know in Boston travelling 6.4 miles (if by driving) from the Logan Airport to the Museum of Fine Arts (both famous destinations) takes more than 40 minutes by first taking the silver line (which has to circle the whole airport and stop at every terminal, for very reasonable reasons, and stop to put on the electric power lines once outside the airport), then the red line for a seemingly useless direction to the northwest (this is public transportation, it will always be like that) and then the green line, and that is pretty constantly like that, and Boston has one of the best public transportations in US. And it is dark and humid in the subway stations. Without sunshine people look tired and sleepy, not pleasant at all. In that sense I don't think public transportation is always better. It is certainly not something to differentiate whether a city is good or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
I'm not so sure about the density thing. If you look at several new developments out in the Dallas burbs, such as Legacy in Plano or Addison Circle, you will see density and notice that many communities are favoring mixed-use developments. Inside the city itself you will see numerous walkable neighborhoods such as Knox-Henderson, Deep Ellum, and Uptown. Uptown, in fact, is a fairly large district that's very walkable, has a streetcar that operates on its main artery (McKinney Ave), and has a density that isn't too intense, but at a pleasant level that encourages walkablility. In fact, Uptown has a density that would rival many neighborhoods in more established northern cities.

In regards to public transport, more and more Metroplex suburbs are welcoming rail transit into their communities and joining DART, the metro public transport authority. Several of the new rail lines are proposed to reach further out to the suburbs, even new rail systems proposed in Fort Worth and suburban Denton are going to connect the suburbs better with the two urban centers via rail.

As far as low cost housing, well that is all-American , but I think you will see more and more people wanting smaller or more energy efficient homes when the market recovers given rising energy prices. You will also see people willing to live in smaller homes--sacrificing space for better proximity to major employment and activity centers. This isn't only a Dallas thing, but rather something that will be experienced nationwide.

Last edited by fashionguy; 06-23-2009 at 10:47 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 10:45 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Big D is the 'ish'!!! Shouts out to Forth Worth too!!! We see y'all down here in Charlotte!!!
*Urban Charlotte wakes up* : aw dang, I had to be at work at Sonic nearly an hour ago dag gum it.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:11 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
DART is putting more rail in Downtown Dallas (2013):

[/quote]

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/062409dnmetdart.3e2d7c4.html (broken link)

Old 06-24-2009, 02:17 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
^^ That looks pretty good! It'd be nice to see them add another line which would connect all those parallel tracks.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:23 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Also plans are in the works for new street car lines:

http://dallascityhall.com/committee_...ing_060809.pdf

Old 06-28-2009, 10:11 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Since when is Dallas part of "the south?"
Texas is the south. Texas was one of the Confederate states of America like the rest of the southeast. Texas is a red state like the rest of the southeast.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:14 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I have notice a trend on city-data that Dallas is not respected on city-data. I do understand that Dallas natives tend not to post on the national forum, but very well represented on the Texas forums. I am not sure exactly how a city that added more residents than any United States city in 2007 could be disrespected.

Dallas-Fort Worth metro area has a population of over 6.5 million. It sits on the banks of the trinity river. It is the largest metro area in Texas, the south, and 4th largest in the country. There are over 600,000 more residents in DFW than Houston. Some estimates show the the metro upwards to closer to 7 million. So it is false that some kind of way Houston metro area is larger than Dallas.

Furthermore, what really bothers me is Americans don't know the importance of Dallas and its dominance in the region. Dallas is 8th in the world with 24 billionaires. Dallas also has more billionaires than any Texas city. Dallas has a very diverse economy primarily based on telecommunication, banking, commerce, energy, computer technology, and transportation.

These characteristics are why Dallas is known as Big D.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/19/95...011ef110da.jpg

Dallas skyline image by sec8agent on Photobucket

This is a list of all the fortune 500 companies in the Dallas Region.

Exxon Mobil Corp. 2 Irving AMR Corp./American Airlines 109 Fort Worth Electronic Data Systems Corp.* 115 Plano J.C. Penney Company Inc. 126 Plano Kimberly-Clark Corp. 136 Irving Fluor Corp. 148 Irving Burlington Northern Santa Fe 160 Fort Worth Centex Corp. 177 Dallas Texas Instruments 185 Dallas Dean Foods Company 224 Dallas D.R. Horton 235 Fort Worth Southwest Airlines 267 Dallas Tenet Healthcare Corp. 280 Dallas Commercial Metals Co. 303 Irving Energy Future Holdings 317 Dallas GameStop 348 Grapevine Energy Transfer Equity 361 Dallas Celanese 367 Dallas Atmos Energy 416 Dallas Affiliated Computer Services 423 Dallas Blockbuster Inc. 434 Dallas XTO Energy 436 Fort Worth Holly 484 Dallas
Cool pictures! Well Dallas might not get a lot of respect on city-data but if it's one of the fastest growing cities in America obviously a lot of people around the country like it. People usually don't move to bad places. If someone moves somewhere it's because they have a good reason for moving there so it must be a good place. There isn't much difference between Dallas and Houston, right? My impression is they're both huge cities with a lot of jobs compared to most other cities.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:55 PM

53 posts, read 176,002 times
Big D is cool, however, Fort Worth is the diamond in the rough. Fort Worth gives Dallas a MAJOR run for the money as far as visual arts is concerned. And Dallas get rid of the damn neon lights lining the skyscrapers...very dated disco-era look and IMO makes the downtown look a bit cheesy.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:59 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRocks View Post
Big D is cool, however, Fort Worth is the diamond in the rough. Fort Worth gives Dallas a MAJOR run for the money as far as visual arts is concerned. And Dallas get rid of the damn neon lights lining the skyscrapers...very dated disco-era look and IMO makes the downtown look a bit cheesy.
Dallas and Fort Worth are aiight, but Mesquite is top-shelf.

I like the different lighting schemes on the Dallas skyline and on other cities' skylines. The neon doesn't bother me - if anything it gives a unique retroish flavor and adds variety....but the one I don't like is the lighting on Renaissance Tower. It's kinda tacky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City