Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 10:28 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times

Advertisements

I would say it's more Midwestern than Southwestern, actually. Though the Ft. Worth half of DFW feels somewhat southwestern in character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 10:39 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
I wouldnt know what to classify Dallas as, its not Southwestern like Albuquerque,Phoenix or El Paso but I dont see it as being Southern like Atlanta, Birmingham or Memphis and I have been to them all. I would say more Southern though.

Dallas is a giant Amarillo and I dont know what to classify Amarillo as either even though I lived 1 1/2 hours from there. Maybe its Plains/Western cause it sure dont have anything in common with the true Southwest.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:39 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I would say it's more Midwestern than Southwestern, actually. Though the Ft. Worth half of DFW feels somewhat southwestern in character.
I agree with you on this. TX is pretty closely aligned with a lot of midwestern states in terms of culture, landscape, political ideology. I lived in MI for 3 years (the upper midwest). I've been all over the midwest and TX is very similar to a lot of the midwest. IL, IN, OH, a lot of midwestern states are very similar to TX. TX is a lot closer to these midwestern states than it is to states like AZ or NM. I think the south and the midwest are the best matches for TX. The northeast, the west coast and most of the west are pretty far off.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:44 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I wouldnt know what to classify Dallas as, its not Southwestern like Albuquerque,Phoenix or El Paso but I dont see it as being Southern like Atlanta, Birmingham or Memphis and I have been to them all. I would say more Southern though.

Dallas is a giant Amarillo and I dont know what to classify Amarillo as either even though I lived 1 1/2 hours from there. Maybe its Plains/Western cause it sure dont have anything in common with the true Southwest.
So you also agree that Dallas definitely isn't southwestern? I agree Lubbock and Amarillo are in the transition zone. It's hard to classify them. They're on the great plains so plains would be very accurate.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:56 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
OK! I was up thinking really hard of what region Dallas is in, and even though it took me a long time. I finally got it! The perfect name of the region Dallas belong in is.........

TEXAS!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:03 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I still can't see Dallas as being part of the South. Yes, I've visited several times. The "capital" of the South, to the extent we have one, is Atlanta. Even if you maintain that Dallas has strong southern influences, it is too far on the fringe of the region to qualify as a true southern city.
First of all, Atlanta is not the capital of the South. It's the capital of the Southeast.

And that's your opinion that Dallas isn't truly southern, but that doesn't make it fact.

Quote:
Really, now. Ask someone in Birmingham or Columbia if he considers Dallas to be an integral part of the South.
Most people from these places who know the city consider it part of the south.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:12 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
The first time I visited Houston, I was amazed at how Southern (ala Southeastern) it seemed. The first time I visited Dallas, I was amazed at how different it was from Houston, especially in its lack of "Southerness". Dallas reminded me more of OKC and KC; Houston reminded me more of New Orleans and Jacksonville.

These observations are just based on short visits, first impressions from a non-Texan.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:25 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
First of all, Atlanta is not the capital of the South. It's the capital of the Southeast.
I dunno, I've heard Atlanta referred to as the "Capital of the South" moreso than I have "Capital of the Southeast".
It's really irrelevant to this, since it's not something official by any means.

Quote:
And that's your opinion that Dallas isn't truly southern, but that doesn't make it fact.
Same goes with other parts that are in question, like Virginia.

Quote:
Most people from these places who know the city consider it part of the south.
Most people? Really? Most of the 1.1 million in B'ham? There was a poll asking about this? Well, I guess you can start by asking Rickey Smiley, since he's from Birmingham and his radio show is based out of Dallas. I keed, I keed of course. Somewhat.

But seriously, I've always thought Dallas straddled the Western South, Southwest and the Western Midwest/Plains regions. Like Washington, DC, Louisville, KY or St. Louis, MO; I consider it a "border" town so to speak, as many regions collide in the area. There is a big difference in culture, terrain, geography, etc to the west of Dallas vs to the east of Dallas. Abilene and Tyler may as well be in two different states.

The African-American communities that dominate the southern portion of the metro area seem to be the most tied to southern culture in look, feel and personality.

The northern suburbs may as well be suburban Kansas City in look and feel. Like I said in another thread, if someone kidnapped me from Plano, blindfolded me and dropped me off in Overland Park, it would take me more than a minute to tell the difference.

Not saying that Dallas isn't southern, but nothing will convince me it's as southern as Atlanta, Birmingham, or Jacksonville or even Houston for that matter.

Last edited by grindin; 10-06-2009 at 12:12 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 11:44 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
There is nothing about Dallas that resembles the southwest simply put. No one can come up with a legit statement that makes Dallas southwestern. The southern influence is greatest in Dallas. I am tired of talking about it but I will let you guys debate amongst yourself. The majority of DFW residents consider themselves Southern and majority of Texans consider themselves southern.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 10-06-2009 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-06-2009, 11:45 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
There is a big difference in culture, terrain, geography, etc to the west of Dallas vs to the east of Dallas. Abilene and Tyler may as well be in two different states.

The African-American communities that dominate the southern portion of the metro area seem to be the most tied to southern culture in look, feel and personality.

The northern suburbs may as well be suburban Kansas City in look and feel. Like I said in another thread, if someone kidnapped me from Plano, blindfolded me and dropped me off in Overland Park, it would take more than a minute to tell the difference.

Not saying that Dallas isn't southern, but nothing will convince me it's as southern as Atlanta, Birmingham, or Jacksonville or even Houston for that matter.
I think this is a pretty dead on analysis.

In my opinion, DFW is at a crossroads of culture. Its Southern, Midwestern, and Southwestern all in one. I agree that if you travel Northward from DFW, it feels midwestern/great plains almost instantly.

I dont think that Dallas is as southern as Houston Atlanta or anywhere between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City