Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 05:49 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times

Advertisements

Houston is the best overall city in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 05:59 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I think you are incorrect.Socially,Industry and economically Atlanta LEADS in most of those areas.And where it does not lead,its just a step or two behind.Atlanta is the most progressive out of all Southern cities with the exception of maybe Miami.I mean if you say "capital",it does not mean you have to be NUMBER ONE in EVERY category.It can be a multiple of things.However some of those things like relevance in history of the region and the nation+ relevance in the the region TODAY(meaning economics,popular culture in music,the arts,and foods= the answer ,which city represents all of that the most.In my opinion that is why Atlanta is the Capital of the South.The Capital does not mean the biggest or best,but which most encompassing of ALL things that also make it a CENTER of that are expressive of that region.Has little to do with geography.NYC is bigger than D.C. in every way.Why is NYC not the capital?
Culturally, Atlanta represents the South more so than any city in Texas or Southern Florida. Houston is southern, but very international, DFW is a cross of midwestern, western, and southern. Atlanta is nothing but southern.

Industry, it depends on the industry youre talking about.

Popular culture in music and the arts, I agree that Atlanta is at the top.

Cuisine, Southern food is alot more prevelant and better in Atlanta. Each place has a type of food they are best at. Youll find better Mexican food in Texas for the same reason.

Economically, Atlanta is behind both Dallas and Houston. Both Texas cities have a larger economy and a better economy. Dallas and Houston are both expected to recover by 2010, Atlanta is supposed to recover in 2011.

Houston has 27 fortune 500 companies
DFW has 17 fortune 500 companies
Atlanta has 11 fortune 500 companies

Houston has a GDP of $403 billion
DFW has a GDP of $380 Billion
Atlanta has a GDP of $276 billion

DFW has an unemployment rate of 8.3%
Houston has an unemployment rate of 8.4%
Atlanta has an unemployment rate of 10.4%

So without question, Atlanta contributes the least economically. Atlanta is the capital of the south, but its for cultural reasons.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 10-07-2009 at 06:10 PM..

Old 10-07-2009, 06:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Culturally, Atlanta represents the South more so than any city in Texas or Southern Florida. Houston is southern, but very international, DFW is a cross of midwestern, western, and southern. Atlanta is nothing but southern.

Cuisine, Southern food is alot more prevelant and better in Atlanta. Each place has a type of food they are best at. Youll find better Mexican food in Texas for the same reason.

Economically, Atlanta is behind both Dallas and Houston. Both Texas cities have a larger economy and a better economy. Dallas and Houston are both expected to recover by 2010, Atlanta is supposed to recover in 2011.

So without question, Atlanta contributes the least economically. Atlanta is the capital of the south, but its for cultural reasons.
On the soul food comment; The soul food joints in Houston are TOP NOTCH. I think they could definitely compete with Atlanta's soul food places. I'd think Dallas had some amazing soul food places too. I know in Waco we did.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:16 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
We should remember how central Atlanta is, geographically. For instance, here are some of the center-to-center road distances between Atlanta/Dallas and other southern cities:

Charlotte - 244 miles / 1,023 miles

Columbia - 213 miles / 992 miles

Savannah - 245 miles / 1,024 miles

Greenville - 145 miles / 923 miles

Greensboro - 330 miles / 1,107 miles

Richmond - 531 miles / 1,275 miles

Virginia Beach - 580 miles / 1,379 miles

Birmingham - 145 miles / 635 miles

Mobile - 327 miles / 639 miles

Jacksonville - 345 miles / 1,041 miles

New Orleans - 468 miles / 516 miles

Jackson - 379 miles / 400 miles

Little Rock - 518 miles / 316 miles

Memphis - 378 miles / 451 miles

Nashville - 249 miles / 664 miles

Knoxville - 214 miles / 840 miles

Chattanooga - 115 miles / 785 miles

Old 10-07-2009, 10:58 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:

Some of your data is incorrect.

Metro Atlanta has 24 Fortune 500 companies. 11 of them are based in the City of Atlanta proper, the other 13 are on the outskirts. Fortune 500 2009: States: Georgia Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

You also leave out is the over importance of Atlanta based companies to the domestic and international economy.

-Delta Airlines - The largest commercial airline on planet Earth. Period. It's the only U.S. based carrier to have flights to every continent, minus Antarctica...but we're working on that

-CNN - I don't have to go into much detail for you get how influential CNN is on opinion not just in America but the world over.

-Coca-Cola - Yes, it's just sugar water, but sugar water that happens to be consumed by every nation on the planet. They also employ millions world wide with it's packaging and distribution network.

-UPS - The world really does run on UPS. It's the largest package and freight shipping company in the world and the only game in town in most places. If UPS were to stop operations tomorrow, world business would literally stop dead in it's tracks.

-The Southern Company aka The company that runs the electricity in Georgia, Alabama, Florida, and Mississippi

-The Atlanta Airport - By far the busiest Air transportation facility on the planet. Hundreds of thousands of people pass through it every single day. Most are not on leisure trips.

Those are just the big boys. Yeah, Atlanta sooooo doesn't contribute much economically

Old 10-08-2009, 01:44 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Thumbs down Enough Already with the "Falsehoods"

Quote:

I suppose because Boston and San Fransisco both rank 8th and 9th in GDP and have higher unemployment rates I guess you repeat: "Both Texas cities have a larger economy and a better economy"in those cases too.You said further about Atlanta's current unemployment rate being higher.I wonder if that means because Baltimore,Minneapolis, and New Orleans rates are much lower,they must have better economies Houston and Dallas,and Atlanta?.We discussed these very numbers on this thread and others and its no secret who has a higher GDP and lower Unemployment rate.

If thats your conclusion fine.Just know that many major an economic publications in this country and world wide have ranked Atlanta higher as a more "global city".(As usual no response regarding those links from you or anyone else).I mean really,As if more people from Latin America and Vietnam make it a city more international.Obviously,you want to continue to paint Atlanta as if its Mobile,AL.

Quote:
The Southeast, traditionally an area that immigrants avoided, has become the fastest-growing destination for the foreign-born, with metro areas such as Raleigh, NC; Nashville, TN; Atlanta, GA; and Orlando, FL ranking among those with the highest recent growth rates.
Brookings

Quote:
Meanwhile, in metro areas that have attracted large influxes of immigrants, such as Houston, TX; Greenville, NC; and most of California’s Central Valley, more than 20 percent of adults lack a high school diploma. And some Sun Belt metro areas, such as Las Vegas, NV, and Riverside, CA, have fast-growing populations at both ends of the attainment spectrum.
Brookings

Yet from the way you talk,you know LITTLE about Atlanta and all about Dallas and Houston.You look at numbers so at best you can only spout off basic facts an conclude these cities are better in your opinion.

You then try to assert that Atlanta is "nothing but Southern".
Food?Anyone who really knows Atlanta will tell you that it sucks compared to many other cities in Soul -Food establishments,but yet has more Mobile 5 Star and 4 diamond facilities(dining ,hotels,and Spa's) than Dallas or Houston.

KYMA(Atlanta)http://images.forbestraveler.com/media/photos/inspirations/2007/04/Rest-08-g.jpg (broken link)

Atlanta has a faster growing international population(Non-Latino,i.e Mexico),more visitors both domestically and international.(and no thats not the airport as I proved earlier)

Once and for all I will put this ARGUMENT that DAL/Houston are SO International because of its 20 something percent foreign born pop.like some of you keep insisting.
According to this list by the Census http://www.brookings.edu/reports/200...hic_trends.pdf,Houston has a higher Foreign Born Pop. than Washington D.C.,Boston.San Diego,Philly,Seattle and last but not least Sacremento,California!! A city that was featured HERE:Welcome to America's Most Diverse City - TIME
This is the racial backdrop of Sacremento:
Quote:
The racial makeup of the city is 48.29% White, 15.47% African American, 1.30% Native American, 16.62% Asian, 0.95% Pacific Islander, 10.96% from other races, and 6.41% from two or more races. 21.61% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race
.If most people agree this is pretty diverse (racially),then by that standard according to the numbers posted for DAL/HOU/MIA posted in here:

Europe / Asia / Africa / Latin Amer. / Oceania
Atlanta 10.6% - 25.5% - 9.3% - 52.4% - 0.4%
Houston 4.8% - 20.5 - 3.4 - 69.9 - 0.2
Dallas 4.6 - 20.8 - 4.7 - 68.4 - 0.2
Miami 6.9 - 5.0 - 1.0 - 85.1 - 0.1

Then Atlanta would be the most "diverse".So is Houston/Dallas more international/diverse than Washington D.C.,Boston.San Diego,Philly,Seattle and last but not least Sacremento,California?
Before you answer just yet,please read pages 11-13.Notice the charts.
http://www.brookings.edu/reports/200...hic_trends.pdf
Atlanta had the Greatest Hispanic,Black,Asian,and White Growth rates from 2000-2007!(more than the HOU/DAL).So your little remarks about Atlanta JUST being SOUTHERN(not a bad thing,just FALSE).EVERY stat I have showed proves it.

There are 7 countries with a higher GDP per capita than the United States.Many of those same countries have better healthcare,better educated,with less poverty.GDP is relative to other factors.DYou cannot say "well this country or city has a higher GDP so its less important.Sustanability is more impoprtant.You really think that a 2 point Unemployment rate is a MAJOR difference?If we were talking about Charlotte at 12.5% ok yeh its that bad.

What's telling is you think that those two things are MOST important,yet its interesting to note that in every area , the "individuality of each citizen" of factors likeer capita incomes,high school graduation rates,and percentage of population with a Bachelors or higher,Atlanta leads by a very wide margin according to the numbers I posted a few pages back.Brings me to another point:
I posted those education,poverty rates and per capita income figures in several different threads including this one over the last few months.Do you know that you nor anyone else promoting or associated with the DAL/HOU said NOTHING about how Atlanta was so far ahead?Nothing when it was posted that the Census said Atlanta had the fastest growing millionaire population?those figures.I guess to say it meant nothing.

Yet in another list Atlanta ranks higher than DAL/HOU:
In Depth: Best Cities For Singles 2009 - No. 6: Atlanta, Ga. - Forbes.com

Another Comparison:

This about Atlanta:
No. 6: Atlanta, Ga.
Atlanta's got a lot going for it, from the low cost of living--the average one-bedroom apartment costs between $500 and $700--to cultural events in Piedmont Park as well as a vibrant music scene.

Best City for Business and Careers:
#24 Atlanta
Cost of Doing Business 114
Educational Attainment2 34
Income Growth* 121
Job Growth Projected7 49
Net Migration 24

#28 Houston TX
Metro Area Population: 5,748,000
Rank
Cost of Doing Business 121
Educational Attainment2 69
Income Growth* 40
Job Growth Projected7 10
Net Migration 40

#32 Dallas TX
Metro Area Population: 4,196,000
Rank
Cost of Doing Business 165
Educational Attainment2 31
Income Growth* 80
Job Growth Projected7 12
Net Migration 39

Brookings Findings in response to the Global cities Report:
Quote:
While New York, Chicago, and
Los Angeles are the U.S. leaders in
global connectivity, San Francisco,
Miami, Atlanta, and Washington are
also important nodes in the world
city network

Quote:
Strata III includes Miami, which
gives the city an elevated position
compared to how it is perceived within
a U.S. domestic urban hierarchy.
However, as “capital of Latin
America,” it fully warrants its relatively
high status in the world city network.29
The other cities in the strata are less
surprising but no less interesting: San
Francisco, Atlanta, and Washington
round out this third tier, due by and
large to their roles as western
gateway/financial center, media center
and unchallenged “capital” of the large
and fast growing South, and nation’s
capital, respectively.30

Quote:
This pattern is consistent
throughout the table: Barcelona and
Houston ranked 10th locally, but 32nd
and 62nd respectively globally;

One thing I am good at is analyzing data/ numbers and drawing conclusions. Brookings,Pew Research,MasterCard Global Cities, the Globalization and the World Cities Study Group and Network (GaWC) all seem to agree with my statements.Yet all most people on the forums rely on what they THINK they know versus what they really DON"T know.

Last edited by afonega1; 10-08-2009 at 02:03 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 02:04 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Table 2. Global Network Connectivity Rankings:
U.S., EU, and Pacific Asian Cities
U.S. cities -EU cities -Pacific Asian cities
New York – 2 London – 1 Hong Kong – 3
Chicago – 7 Paris – 4 Tokyo – 5
Los Angeles – 9 Milan – 8 Singapore – 6
San Francisco – 17 Madrid – 11 Taipei – 20
Miami – 25 Amsterdam – 12 Jakarta – 22
Atlanta – 33 Frankfurt – 14 Kuala Lumpur – 26
Washington, D.C. – 37 Brussels – 15 Bangkok – 28
Boston – 60 Stockholm – 27 Shanghai – 31
Dallas – 61 Dublin – 30 Beijing – 36
Houston – 62 Barcelona – 32 Seoul – 41
Seattle – 68 Vienna – 39 Manila – 46
Denver – 73 Lisbon – 42 Ho Chi Minh – 88
Philadelphia – 76 Copenhagen – 44 Guangzhou - 109
Minneapolis –77 Hamburg – 48
St. Louis – 81 Munich – 49
Detroit – 85 Düsseldorf – 50
San Diego – 98 Berlin – 51
Portland – 105 Rome – 53
Charlotte – 108 Athens – 56
Cleveland – 112 Luxembourg – 63
Indianapolis – 114 Helsinki – 70
Kansas City – 119 Stuttgart – 74
Pittsburgh – 120 Rotterdam – 75
-Cologne – 92
-Lyon – 93
-Antwerp – 96
-Manchester – 101
-Birmingham – 106

Old 10-08-2009, 05:20 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times
Atlanta has gone hysterical on me, Dallas,Houston, San Antonio and Austin are considered more Southwestern cities. Houston is a cross between Louisiana and Texas

Old 10-08-2009, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 36,941 times
Quote:

Since I am a honest soul these are the only numbers that matter when judging a region and its success. The rest of those rankings are garbage simple as that. From this data I see the Atlanta metro area economy is a lot weaker than the Houston and DFW economy. This is a silly argument at best because its no way to justify that Atlanta is grander. If anything it is behind both Dallas & Houston by good margin. Houston and DFW economically are superior to Atlanta. I really don't see that changing anytime in the future.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:12 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Soul View Post
Since I am a honest soul these are the only numbers that matter when judging a region and its success. The rest of those rankings are garbage simple as that. From this data I see the Atlanta metro area economy is a lot weaker than the Houston and DFW economy. This is a silly argument at best because its no way to justify that Atlanta is grander. If anything it is behind both Dallas & Houston by good margin. Houston and DFW economically are superior to Atlanta. I really don't see that changing anytime in the future.
I feel like there is alot of data manipulation going on with this arguement. Im not saying Atlanta is an inferior city. Not at all. But I feel like there is this mad rush to say that one city is superior in every possible way and whatever we have to say to make people feel that way, we will say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City