Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:52 AM

259 posts, read 455,368 times

Advertisements

There are people in western NY who think that they should become a separate state so that they wouldnt have to contribute any tax money to NYC. They feel than everything from Albany south should be its own state.

What do you think would happen if they had their way?

What would happen in most or many of the businesses in NYC decided not to consume Xerox copiers, Kodak products or other good produced in western NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 07:58 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,704,119 times
I do not know but NYC would survive on its own.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I do not know but NYC would survive on its own.
No doubt.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:30 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,668,771 times
Didn't Kodak shut down the Rochester plant years ago?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Didn't Kodak shut down the Rochester plant years ago?
No, Kodak still has a thousands of employees in Rochester, just not 50,000 like they did a few decades ago. It just not Rochesters largest employer.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:58 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
Who are all of these people that think this?
I've heard of people who wanted westchester and below as a separate state.
If this happened, upstate would not have the policies put forth by downstaters that creates a bad business/tax environment. We could get some tax relief to attract more business and help with property taxes. The policies that create high taxes work in the NYC area but not up here.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,481,105 times
That's silly. Upstate is the poor part of NY, not NYC. There's probably more money on 5th Ave alone than all of upstate put together.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:18 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,481,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
We could get some tax relief to attract more business and help with property taxes. The policies that create high taxes work in the NYC area but not up here.
Wishful thinking.

NYC is the most visited, most desirable, richest and most powerful city in the USA if not the world. The world's largest corporations are all represented in NY because it is the world's stage and if for no other reasons, if you can afford to live in NYC, why wouldn't you?

You couldn't PAY most people to live in the upstate snow belt and backwoods, let alone attract them with a pitiful tax break. That's like trying to get Paris Hilton to come shop at your garage sale in Buffalo by having a half price sale. It's not gonna happen. Paris will shop on 5th Ave, big business will stay on Wall St, and tourists will visit Times Sq.

NYC is the center of the universe, upstate is not on the map. My suggestion is do what I did - don't wait for the world to come to upstate, it's not gonna happen. Instead, leave upstate, and go see the world.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:24 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Wishful thinking.

NYC is the most visited, most desirable, richest and most powerful city in the USA if not the world. The world's largest corporations are all represented in NY because it is the world's stage and if for no other reasons, if you can afford to live in NYC, why wouldn't you?

You couldn't PAY most people to live in the upstate snow belt and backwoods, let alone attract them with a pitiful tax break. That's like trying to get Paris Hilton to come shop at your garage sale in Buffalo by having a half price sale. It's not gonna happen. Paris will shop on 5th Ave, big business will stay on Wall St, and tourists will visit Times Sq.

NYC is the center of the universe, upstate is not on the map. My suggestion is do what I did - don't wait for the world to come to upstate, it's not gonna happen. Instead, leave upstate, and go see the world.
What in the world are you talking about? Who said anything about not wanting to go or live in NYC?
And plenty of people love living in upstate. Some people like living in rural areas. Some people like living in mid sized cities. Some people like living in mountains, etc. Some people don't like paying super high real estate prices. You are not the spokesperson for most peole.
And what do your ramblings have anything to do with my post about the business/tax climate?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:44 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Doesn't NYC contribute far more in state and federal taxes than it receives in state and federal funding? I remember reading this in the times not too long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City