Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:39 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,790,429 times

Advertisements

Sorry folks - this thread is null & void...
Albany is upstate.
There's da best & there's da rest.
Case closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 06:54 AM

259 posts, read 455,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
My point is simply Tax breaks aren't going to dramatically alter the condition of upstate NY. Taxes are not the cause of the decline of Upstate NY, snow is. People are just moving away from snow and they aren't coming back. And they are taking their businesses with them. Upstate was nationally relevant during the Erie/Barge Canal era as the center of the country, but it's just not anymore. My opin is just that a mere tax break is not going to attract Bloomberg to move his financial network to Albany to save 5%. He and others like him feel is is well worth the extra money to live their lives in the thriving culture of NYC. NYC is worth the money, Upsate is not worth the savings. If they want to save 5% they can do that in Dallas or Atlanta where at least they don't have to shovel.

Many people in western NY blame their high taxes on welfare for the poor. The 1 cent out of every dollar in tax paid for welfare is killing the western NY economy in their warped minds. They also think that because NYC has a lot of brown people that ALL their tax money is going to support their welfare recipients. This is a distorted picture sold to them by drug addicted talk radio icons that many of these fools parrot.

They also view Albany as part of the problem since its the state capitol and they feel its controlled by NYC interests.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. Most people aren't moving because of snow. They move because of jobs. People go where jobs are. If snow were the case, then places like Boston, Toronto or Minneapolis wouldn't be flourishing. The businesses move because of taxes and cost of doing business. This has been pretty well documented. Look at Tom Golisano. He is moving out of upstate because of taxes, not the snow.

I know of quite a lot of people that left because of the job situation as a result of the rampant racism and excessive nepotism that is ingrained in the Monroe county/Rochester area culture.

The fall of Rochester was brought on by its own cultural inferiority.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:03 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBloodAxe View Post
I know of quite a lot of people that left because of the job situation as a result of the rampant racism and excessive nepotism that is ingrained in the Monroe county/Rochester area culture.

The fall of Rochester was brought on by its own cultural inferiority.
Funny, I know more that returned because it was more of a tolerant place than the treatment they were getting in places in the south or in places such as Boston in regards to race. The stagnation of the area is brought forth by our leaders in making it a horrible place to do business.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:04 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
Quote:
Many people in western NY blame their high taxes on welfare for the poor. The 1 cent out of every dollar in tax paid for welfare is killing the western NY economy in their warped minds. They also think that because NYC has a lot of brown people that ALL their tax money is going to support their welfare recipients. This is a distorted picture sold to them by drug addicted talk radio icons that many of these fools parrot.

They also view Albany as part of the problem since its the state capitol and they feel its controlled by NYC interests.
Your only valid point is the point about Albany being part of the problem. The issues for upstate are put forth by state policies for the most part, not local ones. The rest of your post was just gibberish and generalizations.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Funny, I know more that returned because it was more of a tolerant place than the treatment they were getting in places in the south or in places such as Boston in regards to race. The stagnation of the area is brought forth by our leaders in making it a horrible place to do business.

More are returning but the population is stagnent and all the upstate cities have lost major population in the past decade.

Many who return to Rochester return because they cant make it elsewhere when they no longer have access to the good ole boy network their mom dad and neighbors provided back home.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:42 AM

1,293 posts, read 5,000,405 times
Quote:
More are returning but the population is stagnent and all the upstate cities have lost major population in the past decade.

Many who return to Rochester return because they cant make it elsewhere when they no longer have access to the good ole boy network their mom dad and neighbors provided back home.
Well, for my wife and I, this is sort of true. Gold ole' boy to us means laid back and take your time......Albany perhaps? I lived in Raleigh and although I like NC as a whole, Raleigh didn't provide the culture, family and activities that I found back in NY. I am still glad I moved back, we earn more and have a lower cost of living.

However, I still stand by what I said, I do not agree with the policies of NY, at least when it comes to the upstate cities. Rochester is just lucky because of the unique industry it has. Only losing 0.3% of its population in ten years is not that bad. However I would really like to see a slow increase, and have the city better capitalize on the industry that it has. With the taxes, policies and political leaders we have now, that is difficult to accomplish.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Well, for my wife and I, this is sort of true. Gold ole' boy to us means laid back and take your time......Albany perhaps? I lived in Raleigh and although I like NC as a whole, Raleigh didn't provide the culture, family and activities that I found back in NY. I am still glad I moved back, we earn more and have a lower cost of living.

However, I still stand by what I said, I do not agree with the policies of NY, at least when it comes to the upstate cities. Rochester is just lucky because of the unique industry it has. Only losing 0.3% of its population in ten years is not that bad. However I would really like to see a slow increase, and have the city better capitalize on the industry that it has. With the taxes, policies and political leaders we have now, that is difficult to accomplish.
The city of Rochester has lost much more than .03% of its population.

Rochester NY population change
1950 332,488
1960 318,611
1970 296,233
1990 230,356
2009 206,000

Coincidentally this shrinkage started when Blacks started moving to Rochester from the south in relatively large number seeking industrial jobs.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 AM

37,160 posts, read 39,441,390 times
He did say .03% in ten years, so we should post the population change from maybe 2000 to 2009.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:05 AM

1,293 posts, read 5,000,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
He did say .03% in ten years, so we should post the population change from maybe 2000 to 2009.
Lol, it was 0.3% in ten years. And I am not saying its a good thing. I'm saying that the optical/imaging industry kept Rochester going a little bit longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City