Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:51 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,000,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBloodAxe View Post
Cities losing populaiton the fastest

New Orleans
Hialeah
St. Louis
Beaumont
Detroit
Cleveland
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Toledo
Salinas
Provo
Flint
Boston
Dayton
Lansing
Concord
Fayetteville
Baltimore
Providence
Rochester
Norfolk
Clearwater
Syracuse
Norwalk
Bridgeport
I don't think this list is completely accurate....however....

Corruption? That is not the word. Its a hundred layers of government in cities of less than 300,000 people. Its villages of less than 5 square miles with their own local government. Multiple fire districts all in one city. Its the mayors, city councils, local interest groups, investors, environment groups, unions, county executives and Albany all involved to put up one stupid building. Its the overpaid teachers union who want pay raises over jobs cuts during a recession. Its about leaders in Albany who can't pick a political party. Its the nurses union who can go door to door to keep their overpaid political leaders in place.

NYC needs this kind of government system. It is a city of 9 million+, Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse do not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 05:52 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,581,272 times
The situation is this:

While New York City contributes more tax revenue to support Upstate... Upstate wouldn't NEED this support if policies influenced by Downstate (regarding unions, taxes and so forth) weren't slapped on Upstate.

So this argument is silly. Downstate politicians have all the power and money and they can have things the way they like. It's like they've ripped Upstate's dress off, called Upstate naked and then congratulated themselves for coming to Upstate's rescue with a towel.

If Upstate and Downstate separated, both would get on fine. Upstate would have a rougher go at first but freedom to choose its own policies would eventually overcome the decrease in financial aid.

(predicting a long, long and vicious thread)

Old 07-28-2009, 06:13 PM

226 posts, read 646,485 times
Things aren't much different with Chicago and the rest of the state of Illinois. Except Chicago ruined us and then refuses to come to the rescue saying, "oh it's not our fault" . .

. . better yet "We have a downstate Illinois?" pretending we don't exist clears their conscience I guess.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,774,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBloodAxe View Post
There are people in western NY who think that they should become a separate state so that they wouldnt have to contribute any tax money to NYC. They feel than everything from Albany south should be its own state.

What do you think would happen if they had their way?

What would happen in most or many of the businesses in NYC decided not to consume Xerox copiers, Kodak products or other good produced in western NY?
LOL..

New York is by far the wealthiest city in the United States and the 2nd wealthiest in the world (right behind Tokyo 1.6 trillion vs 1.56 trillion GDP) and Upstate New York is poor and in dire need of help.

If it weren't for NYC the entire state would crumble. The only reason the rest of the state is still operating is from the welfare it receives from NYC.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:16 PM

57 posts, read 199,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russianoligarch View Post
LOL..

New York is by far the wealthiest city in the United States and the 2nd wealthiest in the world (right behind Tokyo 1.6 trillion vs 1.56 trillion GDP) and Upstate New York is one of the poorest hillbilly areas known to man.

If it weren't for NYC the entire state would crumble. The only reason the rest of the state is still operating is from the welfare it receives from NYC.
Uhh I live in upstate and it resembles nothing close to what is bolded.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB27 View Post
Uhh I live in upstate and it resembles nothing close to what is bolded.
I edited that out.

But anyway my point is that there is more money on a prime block of the Upper East Side than that sad barren Upstate New York will ever see in its lifetime (as someone has already pointed out)

Old 07-28-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I edited that out.

But anyway my point is that there is more money on a prime block of the Upper East Side than that sad barren Upstate New York will ever see in its lifetime (as someone has already pointed out)
What you replaced it with is only true on certain areas.

Most areas in upstate, especially where the population is concentrated, is not "sad" and "barren".

Old 07-28-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB27 View Post
What you replaced it with is only true on certain areas.

Most areas in upstate, especially where the population is concentrated, is not "sad" and "barren".
Well they're certainly not successful and flourishing...or have been flourishing and successful in decades.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Well they're certainly not successful and flourishing...or have been flourishing and successful in decades.
Flourishing? Probably not. But most people where I live are quite successful, and live very comfortably.

Well, as I think about it, I guess flourishing and success go hand in hand. Still, many people in this area do quite well for themselves.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:49 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,581,272 times
New York City is not going to reign much longer as THE world financial capital. This recession/depression/whatever it is is going to finish those glory days off. It will go the way of Amsterdam and London - both cities that were once "THE FINANCIAL CAPITAL" of the Western world but now are just "important cities." It's essentially over. Wall Street will never be what it was.

So keep laughing into your beer... time is gaining on you.

For that reason alone, Upstate needs to find its own feet and break away. Pretty soon, New York City won't even be able to take care of itself. Time for "RATS ON THE WESTSIDE, BEDBUGS UPTOWN" again! (which, by the way, Upstate bailed YOU out of in the '70s)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City