Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 10:52 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
the fact is, what you said makes perfect sense. simply because most of the state is only arguably southern and it's not that hard to see why some might disagree

as stated time and time again, east texas is the only region where there's no discussion to be had
Maybe the two correlate because East Texas (east of 35) houses the bulk of Texas' African American population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 10:53 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, and Miami are the only major cities in the Southern states with a majority Hispanic population. I dont know if that makes those cities not southern, but in my opinion it does make them less Southern than a city like Atlanta, New Orleans, or Birmingham. Fort Worth, Austin, and Orlando dont really ring as truly "southern" either.

That doesnt make these places not southern.
I DEFINITELY agree with this.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I met a guy a few weeks ago from San Antonio who definitely claims the Southern label. Another guy from Charlotte was making a distinction between Charlotte/the South and San Antonio, and he made it clear that Texas, and San Antonio, were Southern--at least from his perspective. He's Black, so that may make a difference.
That is the HUGE difference. Alot of Blacks(except for me) from SA and Austin will make the claim that Austin and San Antonio are Southern. They have SOME valid points, but there is ALWAYS 2 sides to the coin. People NEVER consider the whites from San Antonio and Austin who do NOT consider themselves Southern. They only look at the black community and say "Since the blacks say there Southern, then SA and Austin must be Southern". Honestly, SA and Austin are more of a WESTERN South, I think it wouldn't be DANGEROUSLY inaccurate to include these 2 cities in the South. But the ONLY problem I have with the Southern distinction for these 2 cities is, when people from the Southeast, and from OTHER parts of the US, hear people define SA and Austin as "Southern" cities, those people are going to be MIGHTY confused as to where all the supposed Southern culture went in these 2 cities, because they're NOT going to find much of it in those 2 cities, and they themselves(and I have seen this happen 1st hand, most people I talk to out here in NC think of ATX and SA as the Southwest) are NOT going to acknowledge the fact that these 2 cities are Southern. So I just don't define SA and Austin as quote on quote "Southern". It's WAAAAAY to confusing, I just call them Texan.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:35 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
i fail to see what race has to do with it. afterall, what reason would blacks have to say certain places are southern that whites wouldn't?

anyway, i know for a fact that there are whites and even mexicans in austin and san antonio who include themselves in a broader, more vague definition of the south. but i'm certain that most residents (of all colors) are aware of the fact that they aren't as southern as say atlanta, birmingham, or even houston

Old 04-03-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
i fail to see what race has to do with it. afterall, what reason would blacks have to say certain places are southern that whites wouldn't?

anyway, i know for a fact that there are whites and even mexicans in austin and san antonio who include themselves in a broader, more vague definition of the south. but i'm certain that most residents (of all colors) are aware of the fact that they aren't as southern as say atlanta, birmingham, or even houston
Or even Southern at all. I never knew many people in Austin and San Antonio other than blacks that considered themselves to be Southern.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Im going to get flammed for saying this, but here goes:

Ive noticed that African-Americans from Texas are alot quicker to identify themselves and Texas as southern or the south. Hispanics, Asians, and (to a lesser degree whites) are more mixed. Some identify as southern, some dont.
No flamming from me, your words are true.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:44 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
okay you keep mentioning demographics. i assume you're speaking of houston's high hispanic and catholic population

aside from that, i'm interested in hearing what southern characteristics will you find in savannah that you won't find in houston
I find the pace of Savannah more similar to the majority of the South. It doesn't have the same demographic makeup as Houston. Houston not only has a high Hispanic and Catholic population. But it has a high Asian population as well (highest in the South). I never get the feel like I am maybe in another region in Savannah like I do when I'm in Houston. Sure, you'll find similarities. But the Southern culture is more stronger and more evident in Savannah than it is in Houston.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I guess I'll get flammed too because I agree!

Seriously you take someone from Georgia (outside of Atlanta) or Alabama and put them in Austin or San Antonio and to a lesser extent Dallas and Houston. They probably wouldn't consider them the southern.

I've heard blacks in Houston state Houston was southwestern.
Like I said before on this board, I've had conversations with people from Alabama, Georgia, and the Carolinas, and they all think that Texas is just simply out west. I expect people to come in here and say the opposite as well but point is, Texas will be questioned from not until the end of time. I understand TexasReb's stance on Texas being Western South and it still is. But alot has changed in the last 20 year.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:54 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
No flamming from me, your words are true.
so what exactly are we implying here? that blacks in these cities don't know any better? or the whites? i still don't see what race has to do with anything

the funny thing about san antonio is you have different regions throughout the metro. i've seen it being said several times that the east side is the most southern area. and that is true. try driving down eisenhauer or foster road into the kirby area and tell me you don't get atleast a southern vibe

Old 04-04-2010, 08:02 AM

Is that not where most of the Blacks of San Antonio reside? I believe it is and it's relative considering that San Antonio does not really have a large black population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City