Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more diverse?
San Francisco Bay Area 52 40.31%
Tri-State Area 77 59.69%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:29 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Why do people insist on calling it San Fran......is it really that hard to type the extra 5 letters? It's like leaving the ago off Chicago.
Because they're morons. I have no other explanation to offer you. Its neither shorter, nor correct, nor does it sound cool. Its just retarded and annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
NYC without a doubt.

New York/New Jersey has a large population of South American/African/Carribean immigrants which the Bay Area lacks, in addition to a large Asian & Central American community. That being said the Bay Area has a much larger Mexican/Vietnamese/Salvadorean/Polynesian population than the Tri State Area.
This is a fair assessment. The Bay has certain ethnic groups in larger numbers than NY/NJ does, and vice versa. I don't take issue with people voting for NYC here, although I think many are greatly underestimating the Bay's diversity by a long shot. And grouping all the hundreds of Asian ethnic groups into one the way some folks seem to is just plain idiotic.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:46 AM

Why doesn't anyone look at the ethnic diversity that exists within various nationalities? Yeah there are a lot of Chinese people in both places, but does anyone know how diverse each area's Chinese population actually is? Just because someone is from China does not mean they speak the same language, have the same customs, eat the same food, etc. There are Cantonese, Fookinese, Toisan, Tibetan, etc. If someone's Filipino they can be Tagalog, Ilokano, Visayan, Pangasinan, Kapanpangan, Bicolano, etc. If someone's Indian they can be Punjabi, Bengali, Tamil, Kashmiri, etc. If someone's Burmese they can be Karen, Burman, ethnic-Chinese, Shan, Rakhine, etc.

There are a lot of massive countries with various ethnic groups that reside within their boundaries. We're counting all these diminutive little nations into ethnic diversity while grouping the largest nations into single groups. That doesn't make a lot of sense and is actually pretty short-sighted. There are even other smaller ethnic groups within Latin American nations, like the Shuar. Shouldn't these be taken into account too if they exist in either area?

Old 05-18-2010, 06:59 AM

I'd like to see the idea of total overall diversity explored more, and if I get a chance later I'll try and contribute what I can about both areas. But for now, since ethnic diversity seems to be the hot topic (and since racial diversity counts for NOTHING according to some brilliant posters in here - well really just ONE ), why don't we look at what each area has more of than the other in each category.

Without reviewing research I've done in the past (I'm short on time at the moment), I believe the Bay Area has more Chinese, Filipinos, Vietnamese, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Guatamalens, Nicaraguans, Afghans, Tongans, Samoans, Fijians, Hawaiians, Native Americans (not sure about tribal breakdown), and Japanese. Also as far as I know, the Bay has more Tibetans, Mongolians, Laotians, Cambodians, Thais, Burmese, Indonesians, Hmong, and Iu Mien.

I'm sure NYC metro has more of just about any Caribbean ethnic group (which is too many to list right now and has already been pointed out repeatedly), blacks (both American and African), probably Russians, and possibly Koreans. NYC also has more Colombians and Ecuadorians.

I'm not sure which side has the larger population/percentage of East Indians. I want to say NY, but I know CA overall has more so I'm not completely sure. Can anyone else help add to or correct this list with the reality? I'd like to see how many single groups each side actually has the advantage on. I think that would be a more interesting way to look at the differences in these two extremely diverse areas of our nation.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:48 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Why do people insist on calling it San Fran......is it really that hard to type the extra 5 letters? It's like leaving the ago off Chicago.
Thats what most outsiders call it, and i dont see whats so offensive about it

Old 05-18-2010, 08:19 AM

379 posts, read 468,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I'd like to see the idea of total overall diversity explored more, and if I get a chance later I'll try and contribute what I can about both areas. But for now, since ethnic diversity seems to be the hot topic (and since racial diversity counts for NOTHING according to some brilliant posters in here - well really just ONE ), why don't we look at what each area has more of than the other in each category.

Without reviewing research I've done in the past (I'm short on time at the moment), I believe the Bay Area has more Chinese, Filipinos, Vietnamese, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Guatamalens, Nicaraguans, Afghans, Tongans, Samoans, Fijians, Hawaiians, Native Americans (not sure about tribal breakdown), and Japanese. Also as far as I know, the Bay has more Tibetans, Mongolians, Laotians, Cambodians, Thais, Burmese, Indonesians, Hmong, and Iu Mien.

I'm sure NYC metro has more of just about any Caribbean ethnic group (which is too many to list right now and has already been pointed out repeatedly), blacks (both American and African), probably Russians, and possibly Koreans. NYC also has more Colombians and Ecuadorians.

I'm not sure which side has the larger population/percentage of East Indians. I want to say NY, but I know CA overall has more so I'm not completely sure. Can anyone else help add to or correct this list with the reality? I'd like to see how many single groups each side actually has the advantage on. I think that would be a more interesting way to look at the differences in these two extremely diverse areas of our nation.
According to recent Census Estimates for total South Asian (Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi) populations:

NYC: 662,967
SF: 219,960
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 05-18-2010, 08:54 AM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
racially means nothing , how many ethnic groups do you have backing up your races?
Obviously NY is probably the king of ethnic groups, but you have shown us no proof-only attempts to shut down people who have in fact provided numbers that are tangible-not just pictures of indians and vids of parades(that is supposed to prove something?)

Quote:
answer that...o yea you cant

NEXT
The burden of answering is really on you...we've provided several stats backing up what we say.

I guess getting to the bottom of things is a west coast thing.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
According to recent Census Estimates for total South Asian (Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi) populations:

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
That advantage dissappears when you look at percentages.

South Asians as a Percentage of total population
New York...3.0%
San Francisco...2.9%

Old 05-18-2010, 09:26 AM

As far as people speaking foreign languages, there is no huge difference overall.

*These are the only language(and language groups) listed in the Census American Factfinder website, I guess cause they are the most widely spoken foreign languages in the country.

People over age 5+ who speak a language other than english
New York CSA(7,251,102) 34.9%
San Francisco(2,709,942) CSA 39.4%

New York CSA
Breakdown of Foreign Languages Spoken
Spanish 50.0%
Other Indo-European 15.3%
Chinese 7.5%
Slavic 6.9%
Other or Unspecificed 6.3%
French 4.9%
Other Asian and Pacific Islander 2.7%
Korean 2.2%
Tagalog 1.9%
German 1.2%
Vietnamese 0.3%

San Francisco CSA
Breakdown of Foreign Languages Spoken
Spanish 43.4%
Chinese 15.8%
Other Indo-Eurpoean 9.7%
Tagalog 8.9%
Other Asian and Pacific Islander 6.0%
Vietnamese 5.7%
Slavic 2.6%
Other and Unspecified 2.3%
Korean 2.0%
French 1.5%
German 1.4%

Spanish
New York CSA 3,630,997...50.0% of all foreign language speakers
San francisco CSA 1,176,838...43.4% of all foreign language speakers

French
New York CSA 360,495...4.9% of all foreign language speakers
San Francisco CSA 43,376...1.5% of all foreign language speakers

German
New York CSA 91,773...1.2% of all foreign languages spoken
San Francisco CSA 39,773...1.4% of all foreign languages spoken

Slavic Languages
New York CSA 506,763...6.9% of all foreign languages spoken
San Francisco CSA 72,547...2.6% of all foreign languages spoken

Other IndoEuropean languages
New York CSA 1,114,901...15.3% of all foreign languages spoken
San Francisco CSA 264,608...9.7% of all foreign languages spoken

Korean
New York CSA 161,203...2.2% of all foreign languages spoken
San Francisco CSA 56,220...2.0% of all foreign languages spoken

Chinese
New York CSA 551,500...7.5% of all foreign languages spoken
San Francisco 429,499...15.8% of all foreign languages spoken

Vietnamese
New York CSA 26,772...0.3% of all languages spoken
San Francisco CSA 157,157...5.7% of all languages spoken

Tagalog
New York CSA 143,536...1.9% of all foreign languages spoken
San Francisco CSA 242,226...8.9% of all languages spoken

Other Asian and Pacific Island languages Spoken
New York CSA 199,643...2.7% of all languages spoken
San Francisco CSA 163,206...6.0% of all languages spoken

Other and Unspecificed languages
New York CSA 463,519...6.3% of all languages spoken
San Francisco CSA 64,492...2.3% of all languages spoken

Old 05-18-2010, 09:29 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Wait, only 219,000? The Houston metro is close to that, and I know the Bay Area would have more then that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City