Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more diverse?
San Francisco Bay Area 52 40.31%
Tri-State Area 77 59.69%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
this bay area person is mad that his area isn't more diverse hahaha

and also stop hating on caribbean people.
His former alias was LosAngelesNightMare, I think, and I don't think he was trying to hate. He probably just worded it wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 02:19 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaNightmare View Post
1. New York CSA (New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2006-2008)
54.0% White Non-Hispanic
15.7% Black Non-Hispanic
20.1% Hispanic
8.4% Asian
1.0% Two or More Races
US Census Diversity Index: .595

6. San Francisco CSA
46.2% White Non-Hispanic
6.4% Black Non-Hispanic
22.4% Hispanic
21.1% Asian
2.6% Two or more races
US Census Diversity Index: .687 (= {[.462*.462] + [.224*.224] + [.211*.211] + [.064*.064]+[.026*.026]} - 1.00)

cold hard facts... new yorkers just cant "imagine" another place could be more diverse so it must not be huh?

thats all i have read in this thread.

"but...but its NYC nothing beats NYC!" ...yea right the Bay Area owns in scenic/outdoor diversity as well...oh ya we have skyscrapers too and warmer weather in the Bay Area as a whole (do not single out SF on this one)
you are not very smart, people on this board are talking about ethnic diversity which is obviously more of a factor then just naked race.

with that being said nyc own the bay area in ethnic diversity. how diverse are your black population or hispanic population or even white population.

the bay area only has ethnic diversity in its asian communities compared to nyc which has ethnic diversity in every race so please stop

Old 05-17-2010, 02:43 PM

43 posts, read 81,850 times
oh so the government says we are more diverse..but New Yorkers will just find a way to sort down to a index that suits their argument.

Give me a break.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:46 PM

43 posts, read 81,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
you are not very smart, people on this board are talking about ethnic diversity which is obviously more of a factor then just naked race.

with that being said nyc own the bay area in ethnic diversity. how diverse are your black population or hispanic population or even white population.

the bay area only has ethnic diversity in its asian communities compared to nyc which has ethnic diversity in every race so please stop
lol...

look at the diversity index .... now deny that index..

now bring up your own scale to measure diversity... oh yea jordan wins! the governments wrong!

only your index is right!!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
lol...

look at the diversity index .... now deny that index..

now bring up your own scale to measure diversity... oh yea jordan wins! the governments wrong!

only your index is right!!
once again your diversity index is from race , not ethnicity.

are you seriously asking me to bring up my measurements of diversity?

how about this ...name every ethnic group in ever race in the bay , and ill name all the ethnic groups of every race in nyc , and we will see who wins

here is an example , the strong majority of your black population is afro american.

here in nyc the black population consist of large amounts of people from the caribbean(jamaica , haiti , guyana , trinidad , st lucia , barbados , st vincent , greneda , antigua , dominica , st kitts etc) and africans(mostly nigerian/ghanian with liberians in staten island , and little senegal in west 116th in central harlem, and also good numbers of people from serrie leone/togo)

lets be for real here ok

Old 05-17-2010, 03:45 PM

31 posts, read 28,973 times
Quote:
oh so the government says we are more diverse..but New Yorkers will just find a way to sort down to a index that suits their argument.

Give me a break.
You seem to lack comprehension skills.

Bay Area may be more racially diverse (ex. black/white/Asian/Latino) but New York City is more ethnically diverse (Kenyan/German/Japanese/Argentine) and so on.

Do you understand now?

And on a side note, New York City is more diverse (racially + ethnically) than San Francisco, but when you add in the whitewashed suburbs such as Westchester/Connecticut/Long Island, it dilutes the stats it.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:48 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR85 View Post
You seem to lack comprehension skills.

Bay Area may be more racially diverse (ex. black/white/Asian/Latino) but New York City is more ethnically diverse (Kenyan/German/Japanese/Argentine) and so on.
Even if that were true(which stats on foreign born residents don't really prove that NY is more diverse ethnically either), don't you find it impressive that the Bay Area actually beats NY as far as racial diversity?

I mean, its nearly unanymous among metros in the US to have a non-hispanic white majority, including NY. Such is not the case for SF.

I won't hold my breath for affirmation. LOL

Furthermore, as stated earlier, there is no huge gap between these 2.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:40 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Even if that were true(which stats on foreign born residents don't really prove that NY is more diverse ethnically either), don't you find it impressive that the Bay Area actually beats NY as far as racial diversity?

I mean, its nearly unanymous among metros in the US to have a non-hispanic white majority, including NY. Such is not the case for SF.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ And you guys wonder why you get clowned

Old 05-17-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:

ok as i read this thread i am noticing that the bar area posters or the defenders of the bay cant actually name their diversity but are showing ridiculous sources that don't back up anything they say.

bay area once again only has ethnical diversity in its asian population(nyc does to)

but what about all the other races??

does the bay area black population have over 20 groups of different countries representing it? does the bay area hispanic population has nearly all the hispanic countries representing it? or how about the white population??? no it does not

i challenge any of the bay area posters to name all their "ethnic" diversity not racial.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:

another thing how are you going to say stats dont show nyc is that much ethnically diverse? is this a joke?? i think we need to have a ethnic challenge instead of using dear old technology

name all the white, Hispanic , and black elasticities in san fran, and we will compare it to nyc

san fran only has asian ethnicity over nyc , while nyc has over 15 - 20 groups representing all of our races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City