Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more diverse?
San Francisco Bay Area 52 40.31%
Tri-State Area 77 59.69%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:36 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Wait, only 219,000? The Houston metro is close to that, and I know the Bay Area would have more then that.
Houston has 77,000 Indians as of 2008.

And according to this group, the most South Asians are in:
1 New York/NNJ
2 SF Bay Area
3 Chicago
4 Los Angeles
5 Washington DC

http://www.saalt.org/pages/About-the...Community.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 09:42 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Houston has 77,000 Indians as of 2008.

And according to this group, the most South Asians are in:
1 New York/NNJ
2 SF Bay Area
3 Chicago
4 Los Angeles
5 Washington DC

About the South Asian Community
That is so weird, the South Asian radio stations are displaying wrong numbers then...

I looked at the link you gave me, it seems a bit old now. http://www.saalt.org/attachments/1/D...%20in%20US.pdf That's their mapping of South Asians. I guess once again we'll have to wait until the census information comes out for an updated 2010 version.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
That is so weird, the South Asian radio stations are displaying wrong numbers then...

I looked at the link you gave me, it seems a bit old now. http://www.saalt.org/attachments/1/D...%20in%20US.pdf That's their mapping of South Asians. I guess once again we'll have to wait until the census information comes out for an updated 2010 version.
The number I gave you from 2008 is from the Census Bureau its the very latest stat available by the US govt.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
The number I gave you from 2008 is from the Census Bureau its the very latest stat available by the US govt.
I see.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I see.
But ur correct, the 2010 Census should shed greater light and Houston will undoubtedly see a rise.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Obviously NY is probably the king of ethnic groups, but you have shown us no proof-only attempts to shut down people who have in fact provided numbers that are tangible-not just pictures of indians and vids of parades(that is supposed to prove something?)

The burden of answering is really on you...we've provided several stats backing up what we say.

I guess getting to the bottom of things is a west coast thing.
shown no proof?? i actually showed plenty proof giving a example of how nyc is ethnically way more past diverse then sf.

anyone notice that this blogger speaks like a in denial loser. so far this blogger has not , and refuses to name all the major ethnic groups in the bay area. am i suprised? well off coarse not

Old 05-18-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Hmmm. Good observation. So where are YOUR sources that back up what YOU say since you're the one running your mouth here?

Why speak when you don't know what you're even talking about? I went to high school in a part of the Bay that wasn't even considered particularly diverse by our area's standards, and there were over 60 languages spoken in it. In a majority-white school of about 1,300 there were substantial groups of (aside from regular white or black Americans who don't identify by ethnicity) Chinese, Filipinos, Armenians, Mexicans, Tongans, Nicaraguans, Guatamalens, Salvadorans, Japanese, Koreans, Fijian-Indians, and Russians, and immigrants from Austria, Ireland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Israel, Iran, Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, Vietnam, Taiwan, Hong Kong, mainland China, India, Egypt, Bolivia, Palestine, Jordan, and the Ukraine.

Not to mention several ethnic Hawaiians and people of various Native American descent, or white kids who DID identify by their ethnicity such as Irish, Italian, French, Swiss, Estonian, etc. There were also kids I knew at my school who were of various other ancestry like Chamorro, Maorian, Basque, Portuguese, Trinidadian, Puerto Rican, Chilean and Samoan. There were even a couple kids from Africa, though I can't recall which countries they were from. (If it helps I'm currently in school with people who are Eritrean, Ghanaian, Nigerian and one dude from Cameroon.) I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but these were what I could remember off the top of my head.

That was just my high school in the mid-90's. I could write an essay listing all the different ethnic groups I've been exposed to at work, school, through friends, met at random, or kicked it with over the years since then. I could name you (mostly Asian) ethnic groups out here that I'd bet money you've never even heard of before.

But the Bay only has diversity in its Asian population though, right??

(Just fyi, I'm neither BS-ing nor exaggerating. I literally listed the ethnicities of folks I knew in high school that I could recall. And I'm not exaggerating when I say that my high school is not even considered diverse for this area, or that what I listed was just the tip of the iceberg.)

Representing it in force? No. Representing it at all? Yeah, of course it does! There may not be too many Afro-Caribbean blacks here, but they do exist. Although they are very likely outnumbered by Africans. I've come across way more Nigerians, Ghanaians, Ethiopians, Eritreans and other African ethnicities than I have Caribbeans out here. But they all exist here to some degree. Hell, my homegirl's mom is Jamaican and my buddy's brother-in-law is Nigerian!

Now you're just talking out your a$$. What do you know about the Bay's ethnic makeup? Obviously not a whole lot. I've already addressed this above, but just to clarify, I knew Guatamalens and Nicaraguans before I knew a lot of Mexicans. I've run into Puerto Ricans out here throughout my life. I currently have more Salvadoran friends than I do Mexicans. A program I'm using right now on this same computer I got from my buddy from Venezuela. I've known more Brazilians out here than I can count, and I've known quite a few Argentinians as well. There are still cultural centers in my local area for Irish, Italians, Portuguese, Basque, and other European ethnic groups. One of my buddies has to speak Italian to his parents and translate for us b/c don't even speak English. I could go on but I think I've made my point.

Seriously man, check your facts before running your mouth.

Challenge accepted. See above.
ok so basically you did not say much , you think san fran is all that diverse because you saw 1 or 2 of each ethnic group huh??

any one with a clear mind knows that their are barely any jamaicans , or trinidadians in the bay area. so you fail for that one.

we are talking about ethnicites that have a name in your city. and Caribbean immigrants dont have a name in the bay, and as for hispanics the huge majority is Mexican, most of those hispanics have no type of name in the bay.

people fail at everything when up against nyc

and also that was not a challenge , naming one ethnicity you met or saw so? half a lot of these ethnicites have no name in the bay

YOU FAIL.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Why are some of these NY posters so immensely thick-headed??? You guys want so much credit that you think having a bunch of tiny nations with total populations of barely over 25 people counts for more than the various ethnic groups that come out of the largest and most populous continent in the world?

DUUUUUUUHHHHHH.

Hey guess what. NOT ALL ASIANS OR PACIFIC ISLANDERS ARE ALIKE EITHER!!!!!

those comments were aimed at 18montclair who seems to think race is more diverse then ethnicity , and no im sorry you bay areas are thick headed , after all people like you seem to think the bay area is that diverse cause you met 1 person from 1 country their

o and actually nyc posters dont think having 25 people means diversity since we have a city of 8 million

but it seems as if your the one actually doing it , after all you met 1 or 2 caribbean/eastern european immigrants , and now think the bay is the most diverse area in the galaxy. horrible double standards

Old 05-18-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
those comments were aimed at 18montclair who seems to think race is more diverse then ethnicity , and no im sorry you bay areas are thick headed , after all people like you seem to think the bay area is that diverse cause you met 1 person from 1 country their
Actually we know the Bay Area has a higher proportion of foreign language speakers than NY, we know that the Bay Area has a higher proportion of foreign born residents than NY, we know that the Bay Area has greater racial diversity than NY and we know that the Bay Area's diversity is also more spread out throughout the entire region than NY.

That's a lot to digest, I know.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Actually we know the Bay Area has a higher proportion of foreign language speakers than NY, we know that the Bay Area has a higher proportion of foreign born residents than NY, we know that the Bay Area has greater racial diversity than NY and we know that the Bay Area's diversity is also more spread out throughout the entire region than NY.

That's a lot to digest, I know.
thats a funny joke

nyc has more white ethnic groups
nyc has more hispanic groups
nyc has more black ethnic groups
all though nyc asian groups arent as diverse as the bay , but its still diverse.

so really?? just like fab said ...their isn't no competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City