Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 08:35 PM

110 posts, read 455,598 times

Advertisements

I was on Lake Erie at Vermillion during the 4th of July storm. It was so quiet and black and then blew and blew. I remember being a a building on the lake watching it come closer and closer....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 03:40 PM

8 posts, read 60,927 times
This thread makes me homesick too!! I grew up on the eastside of Cleveland (Eastlake/Willoughby area) and I also lived in Lakewood for a while and spent plenty of time on the westside. I now live in Indianapolis and I HATE it here. I've lived out of Ohio since 2003 though-just different parts of Indiana-that's where my husband is from. I actually just got home from Cleveland today-I was visiting for the weekend. Every time I come back from there I get upset for DAYS. My whole family is there and I miss it so much, but I think I'm probably stuck here forever. My husband is trying to become an Indiana State Tropper...and he's very close. Obviously that means I'm not leaving Indiana anytime soon.

I guess the best I can do is visit Cleveland as much as possible. When I read all the stuff about Cleveland, it makes me realize that people from other parts of the country don't talk about where they are from the way Clevelanders do. We all have so much pride in that city and tell everyone that's where we are from...and everyone who leaves there misses it.

And PS-something I REALLY miss about Cleveland...THE FOOD! For one, grocery shopping at places like Giant Eagle that have a large selection. There is no Giant Eagle in Indiana. In fact, most Indiana grocery stores SUCK because they have very basic food. Why is that? Because there is NO diversity in Indiana. I'm Italian...I grew up with GOOD FOOD. There are people with lots of different ethnic backgrounds in the Cleveland area...NOT HERE. Everyone here is American-period. Nothing else. Before I got married, I got the strangest looks from people when I told them my last name which was VERY Italian. The only people you run into here are Smiths/Anderson's/Jones'/etc.

Last edited by lyndsaynicole; 02-25-2008 at 03:48 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 06:45 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,769 times
it is so funny because I hardly recognize anything you all speak of! I have been here a few years now, and enjoy the city a lot. Yet when/ if I leave I would have some amazing memories.
West Side Market
good Micro Brew scene
all the great ethnic food of nearly all types
the new- to- me cultures ie Irish and Eastern European
all the great neighorhood joints full of character from the hot stands to the corner bars
interesting architecture
city living at its most affordable
river, lakes, bridges
Metroparks

We still have Dick Goddard and love him.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:56 PM

42 posts, read 179,551 times
*Sigh* I miss Marc's

Just wanted to cosign on:

Dead Mans Curve
the Marginal
"the lake"
Higbees
May Company
Cedar Center
Mama Mia's
when Severance was a real mall
going to Nela (sp) Park/Noble to see xmas lights
the old Richmond Mall
Big Chuck and Little John
Wooly Bears
Dick Goddard
Bi Rite
North Chagrin Reservation
Squires Castle
Euclid Creek park
Golden Gate
Gold circle
Value city
3, 5, 8, 19, and 43
sledding at Cain park
sidewalks and treelawns and sidestreets
walking to school
Hunans
Mentor headlands w/ the rocky sand
Dover Lake
Pioneer water land

Old 02-28-2008, 05:30 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,374,288 times
I don't miss anything. Especially the snow.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:50 AM

20 posts, read 81,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artcgal View Post
YES!! I remember those! I remember in the 80s when Zayre's would stay open all night around Christmastime. One year they were getting a shipment of Pound Puppies in...and, I was shopping in the middle of the night. There was a long line of people waiting to get one of these "toys"...and, I had NO idea why they were such a big deal! I wish I had grabbed one while I was there! LOL! Maybe it would be worth some $$ today.

Yes!!

...and, don't forget Giant Tiger, Pick-n-Pay, Kresge's or Woolworths!

WOW Giant Tiger used to have a store almost right next to the West Side Market and I still remember going there Christmas Eve's back in the 50's to buy last minute gifts. Seeing those old store names really brings back GOOD Memories. Thanks for the up lift of the day God Bless and be with you all

Old 03-13-2008, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,782 times
Default TEEN FAIR! Erieview Ice Skating

Let's not forget the Teen Fairs at the Convention Center
The Circus when it was at the Convention Center and you went down the winding tunnels to see the elephants afterwards
ice skating at Erieview commons
high school hockey games at the arena on Euclid
the numerous church festivals (every summer!)
slovenian sausage!
The Slovenian Home on St. Clair Avenue (so many wedding receptions!)

Oh my - soooo much fun!

Old 03-13-2008, 06:44 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,523 times
hmm I am from Alliance, OH and most of these are very familiar to me...

and damnit.. now I have the Garfield 1 2323 jingle in my head... GGGRR

Old 03-13-2008, 06:46 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,523 times
I remember Christmas and Halloween at the Cleveland Zoo

Do they still do that? I am moving back to Ohio in about 4 weeks and would love to take my son to Cleveland Zoo for Christmas and Halloween

Old 03-13-2008, 09:45 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalet51 View Post
I'll never forget the July 4th storm. One second the sky was sunny and the next it was BLACK! We were at Lake Plada(remember that place?) and the picnic was over.
Can anybody tell me what year the 4th of July storm was? I think I remember it but Im not sure what storm you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland