Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 09:28 PM

48 posts, read 163,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Originally Posted by Dollybumps
Another person that lived in Waite Hill was that creepy Art Modell....nobody liked him. Very arrogant!

Hee hee. Now there's an understatement!
I remember The Basement in The Flats buying Modell's commode from his loge at Municipal Stadium...

The put a life like wax figure of Modell sitting on the commode, with a briefcase next to him, and money strewn all over the floor...

It was enclosed in plexiglass, in case anyone started throwing beer bottles...

Last edited by MsVFAB; 08-03-2008 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: spelling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydudeallover View Post
Dan Dee potato chips in the metal container
Wow, I had totally forgotten about those...

I was so young at the time!

The container was tan, and the letters were dark brown...

Old 08-03-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat9 View Post
There was a man who came around with a pushcart singing "Paaaaper", "Raaags","Paaaper", "Raaags" and he also sharpened knives.
I only know about that through my deceased father... He used to say "Paaaper Raaaags." He grew up on the lower West Side during the Depression.

Actually, there is a book about Cleveland during those times called, "What Ever Happened to the Paper Rags Man?" I got it for my father's sister (my only aunt still living on that side) for Christmas a few years ago. It really brought back memories for my aunt. She told me she was busy looking for people she knew in the pictures...

Old 08-03-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
Does anyone remember a resturant called Happy Charlie's resturant?
How about Hank's Place in Ohio City? Would go there with a friend, and then go disco dancing at Traxx...

Remember when Peabody's and Fagan's were the only bars in the Flats?

Old 08-03-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVFAB View Post
In my opinion (respect your right to believe differently), we don't pay our representatives to spew air...

I have no fondness for a man who voted down military veteran's benefits, and within a month or so, voted to spend taxpayer dollars on the effects of genetically engineered corn on the migration of monarch butterflies...

Mind you, I am a wildlife lover, and have volunteered in the Metroparks...

But I don't think monarch butterflies should be a priority in his mind over our veterans...
genetically modified corn...

Wouldn't let me edit, and I simply have to edit my mistakes...

Old 08-04-2008, 06:20 PM

14 posts, read 67,402 times
How about Uncle Vic's show on WGCL? Remember "Look for the Union Label?" And his trademark "OOOOOHHHHH....." Or when the Buzzard Morning Zoo would "blow stuff up?"

I remember riding the rapid to the Terminal Tower before it was Tower City and going to the Twigbee shop for Christmas. And in the summer time watching the bridges go up and down on the river while sitting outside at Fagans. Or watching Indians games with the 300 other people that were in attendance at the old stadium. And freezing in the bleachers in the true Dog Pound...when the Browns were losing every game but the games sold out because Cleveland fans are the only REAL fans.

I remember as a young kid riding my bike to Tillies to get a strawberry dip cone for a quarter...and eating it while sitting on top of the huge wooden cable reel that they used as tables. Speaking of the cable reels; my dad drove his Ohio Bell truck home every night and it had a bumper sticker that said "NY may be the big apple...but Cleveland is a plum."

Since I'm driving down memory lane here...what about driving over "the end of the world?" That hill on Hines Hill that,if you got going fast enough, it looked like you were driving over a cliff. Then after that we would have to sneek onto Brandywine Falls and try not to get caught being in the river. Does anyone else remember being able to swim at Chagrin Falls? Or what about Euclid Beach when it actually was a beach? Remember getting a vanilla Coke at the Benjamin Franklin? Or the french onion chip dip from Lawsons (I would crawl over burning coals to get some of that!!!)? Parma Perogies?

Wow...bring back a lot of good old memories of the City. People may talk trash about the town...but, I have lived in several different different cities in several different states and I keep coming back to Cleveland. Clevelanders are a different breed. And It's funny how no matter where you are in the world if you run into a Clevelander, they are immediately your friend. "You are from Cleveland? Me too!!! Ever been to...." Ha.Ha.Ha!

Old 08-04-2008, 08:20 PM

256 posts, read 736,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve44147 View Post
How about Uncle Vic's show on WGCL? Remember "Look for the Union Label?" And his trademark "OOOOOHHHHH....." Or when the Buzzard Morning Zoo would "blow stuff up?"

I remember riding the rapid to the Terminal Tower before it was Tower City and going to the Twigbee shop for Christmas. And in the summer time watching the bridges go up and down on the river while sitting outside at Fagans. Or watching Indians games with the 300 other people that were in attendance at the old stadium. And freezing in the bleachers in the true Dog Pound...when the Browns were losing every game but the games sold out because Cleveland fans are the only REAL fans.

I remember as a young kid riding my bike to Tillies to get a strawberry dip cone for a quarter...and eating it while sitting on top of the huge wooden cable reel that they used as tables. Speaking of the cable reels; my dad drove his Ohio Bell truck home every night and it had a bumper sticker that said "NY may be the big apple...but Cleveland is a plum."

Since I'm driving down memory lane here...what about driving over "the end of the world?" That hill on Hines Hill that,if you got going fast enough, it looked like you were driving over a cliff. Then after that we would have to sneek onto Brandywine Falls and try not to get caught being in the river. Does anyone else remember being able to swim at Chagrin Falls? Or what about Euclid Beach when it actually was a beach? Remember getting a vanilla Coke at the Benjamin Franklin? Or the french onion chip dip from Lawsons (I would crawl over burning coals to get some of that!!!)? Parma Perogies?

Wow...bring back a lot of good old memories of the City. People may talk trash about the town...but, I have lived in several different different cities in several different states and I keep coming back to Cleveland. Clevelanders are a different breed. And It's funny how no matter where you are in the world if you run into a Clevelander, they are immediately your friend. "You are from Cleveland? Me too!!! Ever been to...." Ha.Ha.Ha!
I am living in San Diego now. I have seen a man across the street in a wheel chair. I have walked my dogs and he turned his head away many times. A month ago a women was walking with him. We stopped and talked. They are from Parma. I am from Independence. We know the same crowd. Joe and Carol are now my friends.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:04 PM

42 posts, read 134,812 times
Quote:
That head shop at the corner of SOM and Mayfield Rd. which despite all odds as been there forever. It's right next to a Mr. Hero, now that I think about it.
Puff-N-Stuff!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:29 PM

31 posts, read 191,322 times
A Woolworths Menu from the 1950s!
http://us.mg2.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f54022%5fAEMmvs4AAO%2faSJjDHwnIbF5 xHAU&pid=2.2.3&fid=Inbox&inline=1 (broken link)

Old 08-06-2008, 02:54 PM

9 posts, read 57,123 times
Please repost that, I'd love to see it!

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland