Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 06:19 PM

4 posts, read 17,851 times

Advertisements

I used to work in the display department.
We were up on the top floor. The phone operators had a room on the other side of the "penthouse".
I remember there was a British guy named Harry Pigman (Yea for real)...
Another person named Janine...The Head of display at that time was a fellow whose first name was Pierre...I also remember a talented man named Ron Newell...I was just a young naiive college student...but they actually were all pretty nice people!
I used to do the main floor displays with another guy( can't recall his name)
I worked on the windows on Friday nights with the crew.
It was a pretty scary time, as the Hough riots were still fresh in everyone's mind. There were National Guard troops up and down Euclid Avenue. My boyfriend (now husband) used to pick me up so I wouldn't have to ride the rapid late at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,677 times
Default Westgate redux

Does anybody out there recall the names of the restaurants at the Westgate Higbees and Halles? We think that Higbees may have been called The Westwood Room (the downtown local was The Silver Grille as we all remember).

Old 05-23-2008, 09:47 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
did you know anyone in the advertising department? my mother used to draw the women's shoes for the newspaper ads..

Old 05-25-2008, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 18,706 times
OMG, thank you for mentioning "York Steak House". I loved that place with the amber-colored glass windows, steak fries, those hamburger buns were the best, and the dessert line!!! Dessert looked SO good, tasted not so good. I was so young when we went there; my parents pushed me through the line on the wheeled hi-chairs. I still remember the familiar smell...

Old 05-25-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I remember calling it "Kenny Kings" and I was always a West Sider.

Here's another one:

12) Treelawns

(I understand no one outside the Cleveland area ever uses that word for the grassy area between the sidewalk and the street curb.)
Really? That's interesting. I was searching for this word the other day. I've been out of Cleveland a few, perhaps that is why I couldn't recall it. THANKS for jogging my memory!

Old 05-25-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Nice.

How about Gold Circle? Silverman's? Fisher's Bigwheel? Stop n' Shop?
Pick N Pay? Fazio's?

Old 05-25-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
Oh Man, Don't Forget Slimans Deli On Superior, Oooowweeeee.
Slyman's... that was featured on Rachel Ray and my x-boyfriend still nags me about not taking him there when we visited "home"...

Old 05-27-2008, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 17,851 times
Sorry...didn't know anyone in advertising.
Does anyone remember a downtown ice cream/restaurant called Boukairs? (I may not be spelling it right)Not too far from Halle's and some of the movie theaters.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:41 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,851 times
How about the Thornton ice rink and sled hill at the end of the Van Aken rapid line? Then there were the best burgers in town at George Mawby's next to Fisher Fazio's there. Been in CO for 40 years now, but can remember these places like yesterday.
I hope Corky and Lenny's is still around too. Best CBS in town.
Then there was that late night T.V. character "The Ghoul". He'd rip anyone or anything he wanted to!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:45 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I remember calling it "Kenny Kings" and I was always a West Sider.

Here's another one:

12) Treelawns

(I understand no one outside the Cleveland area ever uses that word for the grassy area between the sidewalk and the street curb.)
We also called them tree lawns in Southern California....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland