Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 08:09 PM

9 posts, read 17,033 times

Advertisements

I'm coming down with my buddy on 5/15 & 5/16 to check out the plantation since he is interested but has not seen it. Arriving Thursday late afternoon, taking the tour on Friday morning and golfing Friday afternoon. I'm debating whether we should take a spin to Ocean Ridge on Saturday morning as a final comparison with SJP.

I am starting to explore properties online within SJP to get a feel for pricing and selection. For those who have experience in SJP, do you find that marsh or pond view properties have mosquito issues? How would they compare to wooded or golf view properties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 05:34 AM

19 posts, read 39,242 times
I'd like to know about the mosquitos also. We hade a lovely pond behind us when we were in Wake Forest and the geese were the problem there. They were fascinating and lovely to watch, but they did leave a mess behind... Not very healthy...is that a problem in SJP with all the water features?

Old 04-28-2014, 07:09 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
Since I am younger than most of the people at SJP and Ocean Ridge Plantation, my perspective and time horizons may be a little different. For medical care, outside of checkups, I am going to Wilmington. Top notch care there. In the past few years, the building that has taken place in the Southport/Shallotte area has been consistent. With the building boom at SJP, the building of more infrastructure will continue. We probably won't recognize the area in 5-10 years.
Flying in my case is not an issue. If I want to go super cheap, it is Spirit direct to Myrtle Beach, although I have to tolerate the "worst" customer service ever. If I want to pay a little more, I can fly US Air into Wilmington, which is preferable. In Southport there are a lot of local establishments and I have never encountered any negative treatment (being from the North), even when wearing a Mets shirt. The only time I ever got negative feedback about SJP was from a cashier at Wal-Mart.
Things I don't like about SJP -
1) Get rid of the billboards outside the plantation.
2) Traffic police in the plantation can be aggressive, although many of them are very nice.
3) At times, big homes appear to dwarf smaller homes next door. It is great that there are so many different house styles, but you have 5,000 sq foot homes next to 2,500 sq foot homes. Looks weird sometimes.
4) We need a Dunkin Donuts somewhere closer than Wilmington.
5) Beach club needs more parking
6) Concern that the amenities can handle the growing population.

Bottom line for me is that the good well outweighs the few negatives. I love SJP, but it is really a personal decision.

Pony
A "Mets" shirt. Shame on you.....

go Yankees!!!

Ha!!!

Old 04-28-2014, 07:12 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
OK, so just as an FYI.... in the form of an informational type of bulletin..... a new restaurant just opened last Thursday in Southport... The Smoke House, on Howe Street next to the BP station. It has been several different restaurants that did not make it over the past few years, now the owners of the property who had the original BBQ restaurant there years ago, have opened up again. Apparently they were an "award winning" BBQ family from way back.... serving ribs, pork shoulder, brisket, smoked hot dogs and sausage and all the sides ....

so in outline form:

Un-freakin-believable bodacious food

Best ribs this side of rib-ville

sold out everything the 1st day in 2 hours by 1PM

sold out everything ( double batches ) 2nd day in 2 hours by 1PM

lines out the door and working the humungous smoker double shifts overnight to keep up with the demand.

Another great stop for excellent chow in the area !!!!

https://www.facebook.com/SouthportSmokeHouse
Excellent, love barbecue...
Thanks Stoney...

Old 05-01-2014, 03:51 AM

140 posts, read 317,524 times
Plans for a large 2500 unit senior development at the corner of Midway Road and Route 211 have just been approved by Brunswick County officials. This 2,150 acre site is located between St. James Plantation and Oak Island. Over time some 2,000 jobs will be created according to the article. Certainly good news for the weak job employment market. It should also be a good fit for the large over 60 population in the area.

Besides the mixed housing units there will be a large medical plaza and shopping center.

Hmmm, we might now see an actual start of the proposed Lowes Food at that intersection, that has been in the works for years.

Ron W.

Last edited by rjsurfer; 05-01-2014 at 04:25 AM..

Old 05-01-2014, 05:50 AM

Senior-oriented community planned for Brunswick County | WWAY NewsChannel 3 | Wilmington NC News
Video about the Charles

Old 05-01-2014, 08:10 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
I have mixed feelings about The Charles. The developers want to make a profit from the assisted living and memory care business, and the independent living seem almost like an after thought because there is so much land. There was no information about prices in the article.

This development will not be competition for St James or Brunswick Forest because its focus is so different. For example, the plans do not show any recreational amenities except a hiking and biking trail: no pool, no golf. There's not even a clubhouse shown.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:52 PM

383 posts, read 892,222 times
I am not so sure this will mot be competition for St.James. It will depend on the size of the homes. It certainly will not have the amenities but the lure of a self contained facility with medical and nice home will appeal to many. You will probably have residents from St. James transitioning to the assisted living as they age.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:19 PM

That was my thought as well. I'm not ready for assisted living, but I watched my mom go from complete self reliance in her own home to hospice in 10 years. Retirement is exciting and scary all at the same time! Relocating is a big decision...so grateful for all the advice here!

Old 05-02-2014, 08:28 AM

Does anyone have info on Winding River. Not the same level of amenities but available homes run considerably less than SJP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina