U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-10-2015, 01:45 PM
 
2,401 posts, read 3,366,899 times
Reputation: 1406

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Does anyone here remember if there were discussions about possible routes for I-44 from Raleigh to Norfolk? I vaguely remember some attempt at getting 264 considered. It is a moot point now, but it seems to me that using 264 and connecting Greenville, the pamilco river, in addition to the Albemarle sound and Elizabeth city makes much more sense for the state than say... Tarboro.
The I-495 designation is already in place along 64 (future I-495). I think the key points in getting 264 designated is 1) the connection at Zebulon has to be made...right now it connects at a "future" interstate. 2) Greenville must continue to grow.

I think the Southwest bypass construction will help in the long run...it seems to make sense that I-?95 connects to I-44 at Zebulon and finishes in Greenville, the 11 bypass becomes a spur as well (think I-40 to Wilmington with the 17 bypass being I-140). Same concept...but I think Greenville will have to be at least 100K to get a congressional designation because it is the end point.

Last edited by HP91; 02-10-2015 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2015, 02:33 PM
 
1,022 posts, read 1,006,211 times
Reputation: 367
I'd like to see the entirety of 64 and most of 264 become an interstate. At the very least, the section of 264 between I-95 in Wilson and Greenville could/should have an interstate designation. They built an entirely new interstate spur between Wilson/Goldsboro. Greenville should have it as well. Just call it 695.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 02:49 PM
 
2,401 posts, read 3,366,899 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I'd like to see the entirety of 64 and most of 264 become an interstate. At the very least, the section of 264 between I-95 in Wilson and Greenville could/should have an interstate designation. They built an entirely new interstate spur between Wilson/Goldsboro. Greenville should have it as well. Just call it 695.
Some people wonder why that spur was designated so quickly...apparently if you are able to move military shipments and such, it helps you get a designation. So that interstate can end in Goldsboro and it be more meaningful than one ending in Greenville....because Goldsboro has the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2015, 01:23 AM
 
Location: Greenville
153 posts, read 187,025 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPLANNER View Post
Haha.. I know! Not many things rile me up.. But this issue does. Its just ridiculous and environmentally inconsiderate. His logic about it reducing flooding is crazy too. Ok, i'll .
So let me ask you guys a question. I've read through his stuff and I don't know enough about putting a dam in and the environmental consequences; however is the big concern the technical infeasibility of doing what he's recommending, or just don't like the idea of a lake in Greenville?

I'll be honest with you, I'd infinitely prefer a lake to a river and potential development that could be done with it as a park. Again - I can't speak to any of the technical particulars and don't want to get *beat up* over that. My question is geared toward the concept of a lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2015, 06:40 AM
 
105 posts, read 181,815 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
So let me ask you guys a question. I've read through his stuff and I don't know enough about putting a dam in and the environmental consequences; however is the big concern the technical infeasibility of doing what he's recommending, or just don't like the idea of a lake in Greenville?

I'll be honest with you, I'd infinitely prefer a lake to a river and potential development that could be done with it as a park. Again - I can't speak to any of the technical particulars and don't want to get *beat up* over that. My question is geared toward the concept of a lake.

Hi Jrecufan,

I love the idea of a lake... Dig the lake in an open field somewhere, let the rain fill it up. That would be great for the area. That being said, I do prefer rivers to lakes.. but love water of all types. In this particular case, however, the big concern for me is the environmental consequences- that is what annoys me about the project. The technical infeasibility and his lack of a true plan is what makes me happy.... It will never be done... Below, I will paste my response to this from 11/6/14 on this same forum.


It sounds horrible on many different levels. Some of my major concerns:

This isn't very plausible: Who is going to fund such an expensive project? the City of Greenville, GUC? a Private Developer? or perhaps a collaboration of them all? I don't see the City of Greenville coming anywhere close to backing this project.

Socially: If this does suggest an eminent domain case in an area where very low to moderate income families live, people would flip. Making families move because of a lake that would allow for private development around it? (*new edit 2/11/15- i don't remember if it called for the removal of any houses, i think at the time, it was a suggestion)

Environmentally: I'm not even going to get into the migration of spawning fish breeds in the Tar, or the effect on the water temperature because of a dam or deforestation, or the displacement of wildlife that live in the floodplain.... BUT If this is attached to the Tar River, who knows what kind of environmental issues this would present. Furthermore if we are talking about a dam, they present many environmental hazards alone. If its a dug lake/pond out somewhere that has nothing to do with the Tar, that would be ok, but we are talking about a Tidal River. Which presents further questions for me.

Damming a Tidal River? Can tidal rivers even be dammed? The Tar becomes tidal in Greenville

Flooding: Dams are known to cause flooding, either where the dam is, or further down stream (once the dam is released). And from what i gather above, its also suggesting filling in the wetland with a lake, further causing flooding. The floodplain is where the floodwater goes, it would create further flood issues (likely in this low income area).

Wetlands or floodplains are essentially a natural detention basin- it holds extra water for a period of time and slowly releases the water back into natural and moving systems. A lake in the (ecologically sensitive) wetlands would act as a retention pond- it would hold water year round. If the water is low in the pond, it could potentially help with a very small amount of extra water. However, the dam and the lake itself would likely cause more flooding issues on the north side of the river. The north side already has major flooding issues and houses some of the most impoverished residents in the area.

It will never happen. So its not a big deal, it's just ignorant and environmentally insensitive. Diverting any natural waterway has huge affects on the natural ecology of the area. Sorry for the long response... As you can see, this is one of the few things I really am passionate about: the Tar River.. haha.

[LEFT]
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...#ixzz3RRSLyUp6
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2015, 08:06 AM
 
294 posts, read 271,956 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The I-495 designation is already in place along 64 (future I-495). I think the key points in getting 264 designated is 1) the connection at Zebulon has to be made...right now it connects at a "future" interstate. 2) Greenville must continue to grow.

I think the Southwest bypass construction will help in the long run...it seems to make sense that I-?95 connects to I-44 at Zebulon and finishes in Greenville, the 11 bypass becomes a spur as well (think I-40 to Wilmington with the 17 bypass being I-140). Same concept...but I think Greenville will have to be at least 100K to get a congressional designation because it is the end point.
But why does it need to connect in Zebulon? 264 already connects at I-95. With regard to I-44 the difference in miles between the 64 and 264 routes would be 16 or so miles with the 264 route opening up far greater resources than 64 (Greenville and the pamlico). The cost to make the 264 route work is undoubtedly greater but if you factor in future spurs to Greenville or Washington its a wash. Honestly Greenville's best and maybe only hope is continued lobbying for 264 to be a continuation/addition to I-795 north or get to work on a spur from 1-44 in Bethel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2015, 08:11 AM
 
1,022 posts, read 1,006,211 times
Reputation: 367
I think if a lake is going to happen, it should be similar to Tucker's lake in Benson, NC.

Tuckers Lake - the #1 Place For Family Fun this SummerTuckers Lake | Lakeside Fun For All The Family

Privately owned. I'm not sure if it's completely man made. It has an admission fee, but includes has water slides, piers, picnic areas and more. Something like this would be excellent in the East. I think a town like Bethel would benefit from something like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2015, 08:45 AM
 
6 posts, read 6,941 times
Reputation: 12
Default Winterville Charter Academy

Anyone have any information on the actual site for the Academy? According to their Web site, the Academy will be "near E. Fire Tower Rd. and Evans Dr." It also states that they will be open Fall 2015. I haven't seen any new construction on Fire Tower near Evans, so wondering if they're taking over an existing facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2015, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
839 posts, read 1,040,892 times
Reputation: 176
I think a lake in Greenville would be cool, but honestly, Greenville is so close to the coast...is it worth the investment? I'd just assume make the 1.5 hour trip to Atlantic Beach & call it a day.

I'd like to see Greenville have a water park similar to Kinston's. That is the only respectable thing that city has...how Greenville can't get one is beyond me. It would do very well here in the summer.

On a different note - The Carter's Store is coming along nicely..should be opening in not too much longer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2015, 09:12 AM
 
105 posts, read 181,815 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayLate View Post
Anyone have any information on the actual site for the Academy? According to their Web site, the Academy will be "near E. Fire Tower Rd. and Evans Dr." It also states that they will be open Fall 2015. I haven't seen any new construction on Fire Tower near Evans, so wondering if they're taking over an existing facility.

790 East Fire Tower Road, Winterville, NC 28590- Interestingly though, it's actually in Greenville's jurisdiction. Using "Winterville" probably makes it a bit more marketable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top