Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 04:59 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times

Advertisements

The new power poles on NC 43 are parts of 2 different jobs. NC 43 will be expanded to 4 lanes in the not too distant future. That's why the poles are moving back from 43 to the extent that property lines will allow.

I wrote about this back on 8-5 http://www.city-data.com/forum/49090041-post8304.html

Quote:
I've mentioned the expansion of Charles Blvd/NC 43 South from Firetower to Worthington Rd. This project is described as a multi-lane up grade. It is designated STIP U-5991. Planning and design are scheduled to begin in 2021.
In addition to this Greenville Utilities finished up installing a high power transmission line from Greenville to Kinston a couple of years ago. Where the line crosses Mills Rd. at the intersection with Hudsons Crossroads Rd, GUC has built a large substation. That power will be fed up Mills Rd to NC 43 and then into south Greenville.

Greenville is growing and the utilities have to grow with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 07:04 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
Take away the gangs incentive for making money by eliminating their black market income activities via legalizing drugs. The drug war has failed. Modern prohibition is putting money into large pharmaceutical companies and violent gangs. Having a degree does not make prescribing or selling drugs any less dangerous. If it did we wouldn't have an opiod epidemic. MDs should be helping people get healthier and get them OFF of drugs not on. Trying to enforce this "moral" prohibition isn't making things better. Open the market so that we don't give gangs an incentive to use violence to control the black market. If there is no black market the crime and violence with greatly reduce.
I 100% percent agree with legalization, and in-fact, I’m a huge proponent for it. The problem? At the municipal level, Greenville doesn’t have the power to legalize, let alone decriminalize drugs and therefore we’re left in a dilemma:

•Greenville can adopt the agenda I’ve set by implementing a wellness platform for the community (which also will deal with rehabilitation of those affected by the opioid crisis), building and reinforcing more organizations to tackle the issue of our youth having nothing to do, and working to provide better employment opportunities for the most marginalized of our community

Or

•Follow the route we’ve been on and increase our police presence, be reactive to gang violence, and continue attempting to lure in more Wal-Marts for employment opportunities

You tell me which vision for our community, for our people, is better. The agenda I’ve set is about changing a generational mindset — make our community well, give our youth a positive place to put their energy, and invest in those youth to be productive members of society. What everyone else seems to want? Giving Vidant more business via overdoses, allow gangs to flourish and giving the police departments more reason to lock them up, and not building a business friendly community because we’re content with the families that run the place now.

Again, I support, wholeheartedly, the legalization of marijuana and a select few drugs, but for the simple fact that Greenville has to wait for the State to catch up from its regressive views on drugs, I must continue to make our community progress in other ways. I guarantee you, if I have the privilege of ever serving in the chambers of our Great State, I will be not only a major advocate for decriminlization and legalization but I will spread the platform I’ve set in Greenville, to the state as a whole.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:45 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I 100% percent agree with legalization, and in-fact, I’m a huge proponent for it. The problem? At the municipal level, Greenville doesn’t have the power to legalize, let alone decriminalize drugs and therefore we’re left in a dilemma:

•Greenville can adopt the agenda I’ve set by implementing a wellness platform for the community (which also will deal with rehabilitation of those affected by the opioid crisis), building and reinforcing more organizations to tackle the issue of our youth having nothing to do, and working to provide better employment opportunities for the most marginalized of our community

Or

•Follow the route we’ve been on and increase our police presence, be reactive to gang violence, and continue attempting to lure in more Wal-Marts for employment opportunities

You tell me which vision for our community, for our people, is better. The agenda I’ve set is about changing a generational mindset — make our community well, give our youth a positive place to put their energy, and invest in those youth to be productive members of society. What everyone else seems to want? Giving Vidant more business via overdoses, allow gangs to flourish and giving the police departments more reason to lock them up, and not building a business friendly community because we’re content with the families that run the place now.

Again, I support, wholeheartedly, the legalization of marijuana and a select few drugs, but for the simple fact that Greenville has to wait for the State to catch up from its regressive views on drugs, I must continue to make our community progress in other ways. I guarantee you, if I have the privilege of ever serving in the chambers of our Great State, I will be not only a major advocate for decriminlization and legalization but I will spread the platform I’ve set in Greenville, to the state as a whole.
I'm all for your ambition, but at this point you either need to start a separate thread for your agenda; or at least post it all on the blog feature.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:41 PM

378 posts, read 418,403 times
I would love to see Greenville get an interstate from Norfolk all the way to Myrtle Beach.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:54 PM

144 posts, read 189,798 times
Default Proximity at Tenth Street

Is Proximity at Tenth Street the new name for the new student housing development across the street from the new ECU student center? The development also looks much different than the image released when it was first announced: https://www.taftfamilyventures.com/under-construction/ (the third project down)

I don't understand why the developers of these projects don't take advantage of free marketing by doing press releases for final renderings. They could also get good publicity by providing a public webcam at the site during construction.

Last edited by GoingLocal; 09-11-2017 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: f aulty hyperlink

Old 09-12-2017, 01:07 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
What I find interesting is that none of the other local media outlets have made any mention of this. Normally, accusations like this would've gotten legs by now...
Looks like the legs are starting to grow...

Exotic animal regulation moves ahead - Daily Reflector

Quote:
During the meeting’s public comment period, the wife of a veteran firefighter asked council members to investigate working conditions within Greenville Fire-Rescue. Amy McMahon told council members that experienced people like her husband were leaving the department at an alarming rate because of poor leadership.

“Our area departments are rejoicing because they’re hiring these people,†McMahon said. “Make no mistake, these reputable places are scooping up these resources.â€

She said her husband will be leaving the department in January after 20 years of service, allowing her to speak freely about the situation.

“That's actually the only reason that I can stand here, because the risk of retaliation is very strong,†said McMahon.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:32 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Wow. This is really interesting stuff. Good on The East Carolinian for doing some investigative work. They don't exactly have the best reputation, but it's good to see them breaking a serious potential story way ahead of anyone else.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:17 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Bradford Creek discussion changes course - Daily Reflector

Old 09-13-2017, 09:11 AM

192 posts, read 280,905 times
Sell it. Tax dollars are not to be used for marketing, what ends up being a publicly funded business. If it fails the people paying the bill pay the price and the people making the decisions have little accountability. As far as Connelly wanting a local place to do the marketing... I get that it's nice to keep the money in the city but if it continues to fail it's just a money pit with our tax dollars. Other concerns include the potential for "favors" being offered between the local marketing firm and council members. The only way to avoid these issue is to get the local government out of the golf club business. If the people in the area want and can afford this amenity than a private investor can supply it when there is a demand. Otherwise, this is an inappropriate investment of tax dollars.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:42 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
County seeks federal funds to build gym-shelter - Daily Reflector
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina