Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 02:24 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times

Advertisements

Here's a good guideline for that clueless Board of Trustees:

Quote:
Let the name of JoePa be stricken from every book and tablet, stricken from all pylons and obelisks, stricken from every monument of Pedo Valley. Let the name of JoePa be unheard and unspoken, erased from the memory of men for all time.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:04 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
Or some hard, pipe-hittin' dudes who'll go to work on Sandusky with a pair of pliers and a blow torch.
"Step aside, Butch"

Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
The woman who stood up to Joe Paterno - CNN.com

Freeh Report: Joe Paterno exposed as Penn State's Cowardly Lion - NCAA Football - Sporting News

Old 07-16-2012, 11:54 AM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Here is the wiki-list of schools that got the death penalty and why.

Death penalty (NCAA) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, I'm going to retract my 3 year prediction with a 2 year death penalty given that the problem at PSU went on with the full knowledge of pretty much all the higher ups and wasn't just say....the coach in cahoots with some boosters bribing players etc.

PSU's reaction once the news finally broke should help their case along with the Freeh investigation.

However, I think this is just wayyyy too big of a public issue and unlike some players getting bribed or illegal recruiting etc....in this case there were actually victims due to PSU actions which makes the situation unique.

It's hard to say because there is just no precedent for a cover-up of this nature.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:06 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
CNN link is amazing article.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:36 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Report: Three men claim they were abused by Sandusky in '70s, '80s – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Old 07-16-2012, 02:13 PM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Yeah, after the criminal conviction I figured a lot more would come forward.

If you come forward before you had to be part of the glare, ugliness and then of course the threats from PSU fans on top of that.

Now you can come forward and take part in the civil suit and get the benefits without having to take all the heat and abuse the first guys did.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:02 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
CNN link is amazing article.
I agree, it is. It's revealing, yet hardly surprising. I have suspected that this has been the problem all along; that football became everything at Penn St. Joe Pa and PSU football became bigger than the university, if not bigger than the state of Pennsylvania itself. Some readjustment of attitude is required. I don't always see eye to eye with sports journo Stephen A. Smith, but he's right on: a five year ban on the football program. Period. No questions. That won't erase the pain of those who suffered, but it would at least remind people at PSU that football can never be bigger than human life.

And I really wish the Paterno family would just shut up and go away. I think Paterno Jr. and the rest of the Paterno family has become so used to being treated like royalty in Happy Valley that they don't get it. They're not the victims here. It's disgraceful.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:15 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
That won't erase the pain of those who suffered, but it would at least remind people at PSU that football can never be bigger than human life.
I think more importantly it would tell the rest of college football that message as well. PSU is not the only college where football rules the land.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:23 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I agree, it is. It's revealing, yet hardly surprising. I have suspected that this has been the problem all along; that football became everything at Penn St. Joe Pa and PSU football became bigger than the university, if not bigger than the state of Pennsylvania itself. Some readjustment of attitude is required. I don't always see eye to eye with sports journo Stephen A. Smith, but he's right on: a five year ban on the football program. Period. No questions. That won't erase the pain of those who suffered, but it would at least remind people at PSU that football can never be bigger than human life.

And I really wish the Paterno family would just shut up and go away. I think Paterno Jr. and the rest of the Paterno family has become so used to being treated like royalty in Happy Valley that they don't get it. They're not the victims here. It's disgraceful.
Excellent post, but a year or two would be sufficient to drain that swamp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football