Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2006, 09:41 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Thanks, Tfox. I have been going back and forth on the fence about the Springs for quite awhile now, since I am more of an Independent.

I'm not ready to move for another year and a half or so, but it is still one of my main considerations. My others are: Ft. Collins, Boulder (but it's gotten expensive since I last lived there), and Longmont. I don't really like Denver -- way too polluted for me, and it was actually kind of boring compared to other cities I've lived in.

It's really a hard choice. I like the location of the Springs, I like the climate, I like the cost of living, and although small, it does have a university. But that conservative edge is a bit daunting.

Good to hear those stats. Another thing to put into my bag of choices. Thanks!
As you said there is UCCS and there is CC as well. Don't forget about CC -- it is small but in some ways more important to the town than UCCS.

If you want my take on it, I think that Colorado Springs biggest negative in the past has nothing to do with religion or the military or even party affiliation. I think it has to do with a long history of planning mistakes -- lack of design standards or any accountability on pro-developer, pro-growth policies.

That being said, I think El Paso county voters are finally waking up to some rudimentary smart growth principles, conservation, and other concepts that the rest of the state picked up on ages ago. Downtown is actually becoming a real destination outside of 9-5, seemingly despite the best efforts of government to keep it down. Old Colorado City and the entire West Side is really changing and becoming a great place to live, joining with Manitou as becoming neighborhoods the city should be proud of. And the Broadmoor and Cheyenne areas have always been great neighborhoods (although too silver-spoon to really be funky).

I guess my point is that the Springs and the County has so much potential that good things are bound to happen in a place like that despite bad public policy. But on the other hand imagine how the Springs could blossom with good public policy: one that promotes smart growth, high design standards, conscientious planning, historic preservation, nurturing cultural amenities, etc.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:05 PM

20 posts, read 68,797 times
Default How is the single life?

All of this info has been very helpful, but I get the feeling that most of you are happily married or in a serious relationship. I currently live in Albuquerque, NM and will be graduating in May 2007. I am a very active outdoorsman and love to snowboard and hunt etc.. But I am also single and was wondering how the night life was. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 12-19-2006, 03:44 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcartmel View Post
....I get the feeling that most of you are happily married or in a serious relationship.... I am a very active outdoorsman and love to snowboard and hunt etc.. But I am also single and was wondering how the night life was. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks
Mostly true, but there's a ton of out door stuff here and some nightlife, see:
- California Central Coast to CS Colorado?
- I'm Coming!!

Nightlife is a lot better in Denver, but home prices are usually higher. Then there is the high country, aka ski country, where there is all sorts of outdoor stuff and lots of nightlife, but home prices in the ritzy areas can be a killer.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:16 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,755 times
Default On the other hand

http://web.uccs.edu/tburkey/student/colospgs.htm (broken link)

Colorado Springs, Colorado, is a town nestled at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. Its landscape varies from mountain foothills to rolling prairie, and all manner of natural hazards exist, albeit quietly. Floods pose the most severe hazard for the city in terms of loss of property and loss of life potential. The main axis of the city runs along a usually placid Monument Creek. Because of the dry nature of the climate in this part of Colorado, the creek normally has only a small quantity of water flowing within its banks. At times, however, severe and intense thunderstorm activity or heavy and prolonged rain causes the creek, along with Sand and Fountain creeks, to flood severely. Recent floods have occurred in 1935, 1965, and 1999. Millions of dollars in damage and many lives were lost during these floods. (source: Environmental Hazards: Colorado Springs, CO by Eve Gruntfest and Tom Huber, 1985)

Unfortunately, as the city rapidly grows, many more homes are being built in floodplains. And floods are by no means the only hazard the city must deal with. Examine now an interactive map of natural hazards in the region. Identify the major hazards and their locations. Go to the El Paso County Natural Hazards Clearinghouse. (Note: you will arrive at the map's home page. Follow the instructions given to operate the map).

Old 12-20-2006, 09:36 AM

20 posts, read 68,797 times
Thanks Mike,

I will be graduating with a degree in Civil Engineering and am quite interested in relocating to Coloarado Springs. If anyone happens to know anyone or works for a local Civil Firm, can you please let me know so I can find a possible job opportunity up there. Thanks before hand. Merry Xmas!!!

Old 12-28-2006, 01:35 PM

104 posts, read 521,722 times
Wow! CS is just my kind of place, being that I'm a conservative Catholic military brat!

Mike~ You've totally sold me on the place! We're trying to decide between Canyon Lake, TX (San Antonio) and CS. I want CS more than anything, but affordable housing is going to be the selling point. If we can find a nice home for $275ish, we'll be there in a heartbeat! We're in Newport News, Virginia right now. Can't wait to get out of here (unaffordable housing after the market boom) and on to beautiful Colorado!

Other than the Academy District, what other areas offer superior schools? I have 3 children and 1 on the way, so this is very important to us!

Old 12-28-2006, 04:34 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,917,397 times
tiffani - the other best school district in the city is District 12. Cheyenne Mountain School District.

I went to school there but hated it. Long story and that was long ago.

Anyhow, I think that with around $275K you should be able to find a nice comfortable home in the Academy School district area. Seriously, District 12 is kind of pricey to live in for the most part.

Having lived in the area that is in the District 20 area for almost 9 years, it's a great place to live. If I even could afford to live in District 12 area, I wouldn't. I don't live in the most desirable of neighborhoods in Briargate, to be honest, but it's certainly a nice place to live. I have wonderful neighbors (for the most part) and such.

When I have to move in the next year, I am going to bumming hard. I will end up in Cañon City (hopefully) so that's a good thing but I love it up here.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:25 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,938 times
Mcartmel-

Have you looked at Dice.com or Monster? You can post your resume on there and they will call you. Or maybe even the local paper, www.gazette.com. Hope that helps! Best of luck to ya! bashep

Last edited by bashep; 12-28-2006 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-29-2006, 12:05 PM

7 posts, read 22,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky View Post
Mike you are so helpful! We visited COS in March to see some friends, and loved it! We're from small town Indiana, so it was big to us, but very enticing. We've been pondering off and on again the idea of moving. I've been looking online at various sites about neighborhoods and such. What do you know about the West side of town, like around the Cragmor ,Holland Park, Kissing Camels, Pleaant Valley area? I also know that the SE side isn't the greatest, but realistically we can't afford very expensive housing - the midwest is known for its low housing prices, and honestly our housing budget would be under 130K.
Icky, What websites are you using to do your research? Please send to me in a PM. I'm also looking to move to the area and have a similar budget.

Thanks, KB

Old 12-31-2006, 08:45 AM

49 posts, read 202,818 times
wow there is so much info here. How nice it is to get ideas. We have lived in NJ our entire lives and would like to move out to that area in about 5 years. We are looking for a beauiful mountain home that is affordable, maybe about 300K, not sky high taxes, views, trees, peace! and friendly people. we will both have to work still. my hubby has to find warehouse work and I have to find medical/clerifcal/ certified home health aide work. We don't know where to start looking but I have read about Woodland Park. I dont mind traveling 1/2 hour to get to work, but it would be nice to be able to get to a food store in 20 min. any suggestions????? thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs