Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 15,265 times

Advertisements

By far the best Mexican food I have had is at the following:

La Unica Authentico, W. Colorado Ave. **Unbeatable service and tasty-ass food! Best Chile Rellanos made with POBLANO peppers NOT Anaheim... super yummy..prices are a bit high..but well worth it...

The Loop, Manitou Springs. **Awesome Margaritas, Some menu options should be avoided, such as Combos, I mean thers nothing wrong with them but they are not worth writing about..the best things on the menu are the Fajitas and the Surf and Turf..stick with these and a side of there mind-boggling delicious Queso and chips and you will leave satisfied. Wash it all down with one of their 10 margarita choices...and take note, some of the hottest waitresses in town work there...

Arceo's Mexican Food, S. Nevada, Colorado Spgs.... Super cheap and Super yummy authentic Mexican food...lunch specials staart at $4.25 and the portions are huge..specializing in Seafood dishes, their Ceviche is the best I have ever had....shrimp dishes, carnitas, and cheap margaritas!!

I have lived in both Texas and Southern California, I KNOW mexican food! Try these places out..you wont be dissapointed!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 07:51 AM

553 posts, read 1,636,070 times
Also try the Mission Inn on North Academy, near Woodman. Great Margaritas, great green chile.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:34 AM

38 posts, read 326,424 times
Wow.... so many of the places you guys have mentioned I've tried and I absolutely hated it.

Having practically lived on authentic Mexican for several years, I'm very picky. I haven't found but maybe one or 2 places that I like. What can I say. I got spoiled.

Most the places here are pathetic. The meat is canned and tasteless, the vegetables less than fresh. The spices severely lacking.

I can't think of any place to recommend, I've tried about 2 dozen Mexican places since I moved here and I won't go back to any of them.

Seems most of them though like to cater to the 'white bread' crowd who can't handle anything with actual flavor.

I ate last week at a place called Jorge Henri's out in old-colorado city next to the chocolate factory and honey shoppe. I asked for a recommendation and told them how I felt about the local places, and they gave me a special plate of some of the best grub I've had in months. If only they had that kind of stuff on the menu....

Sorry, thats just my take on it. Don't flame me unless you have a restaurant to suggest And YES I'm going to try some of the places ya'll mentioned I haven't heard of or tried yet

Old 09-04-2007, 01:26 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Different strokes and all.

I was just out in the San Fernando valley and I asked someone where I could find some "good" Carnitas. He directed me to a spot near Reseda and Parthenia. I found two places. One was a fancy looking franchise place and the other was a dive in a strip mall. I chose the latter and wasn't dissapointed.

We've decided that to find good Carnitas, you have to find a roach coach or a good dive place. We have such places here in Pueblo that aren't necessarily dives, but they know how to make Carnitas and they know how to make good Green Chile (without onions, of course! Please see my prior posts where I http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/mcgowdog/deadhorse.gif (broken link) rant about the use of onions in Green Chile. If you put onions in good green chile, it winds up tasting like snot).

Try Mi Ranchitos out in Pueblo on the Mesa.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:26 AM

10 posts, read 102,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
You should try Albertacos on the corner of Academy & Woodmen. It's greasy Mexican food SoCal style. We used to eat at these in San Diego and it's exactly the same.
Thanks for the heads up. My brother lives around the corner from there.
We are always looking for some good Mexican Food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrygoldsmith View Post
Wow.... so many of the places you guys have mentioned I've tried and I absolutely hated it.

Having practically lived on authentic Mexican for several years, I'm very picky. I haven't found but maybe one or 2 places that I like. What can I say. I got spoiled.

Most the places here are pathetic. The meat is canned and tasteless, the vegetables less than fresh. The spices severely lacking.

I can't think of any place to recommend, I've tried about 2 dozen Mexican places since I moved here and I won't go back to any of them.

Seems most of them though like to cater to the 'white bread' crowd who can't handle anything with actual flavor.

I ate last week at a place called Jorge Henri's out in old-colorado city next to the chocolate factory and honey shoppe. I asked for a recommendation and told them how I felt about the local places, and they gave me a special plate of some of the best grub I've had in months. If only they had that kind of stuff on the menu....

Sorry, thats just my take on it. Don't flame me unless you have a restaurant to suggest And YES I'm going to try some of the places ya'll mentioned I haven't heard of or tried yet
Have you tried Adolpho's? Might be Adolfo's. Not sure about spelling. You will find some good old mexico style food there. There is one on east 4th street about a block from I-25 it's open till mid night and there is one on the North side across from Star Bucks and it's 24 hours. This is in Pueblo by the way.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-02-2007 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Combining two posts into one.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:11 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
Arceo's Family Mexican Restaurant at 1605 S Nevada has some of the best mexican food in town. Give it a try.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:08 PM

7 posts, read 76,228 times
El Taco Rey on Colorado Ave. between Weber and Wahsatch. Family-owned place with very tasty filling food.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:10 PM

553 posts, read 1,636,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmauro View Post
Thanks for the heads up. My brother lives around the corner from there.
We are always looking for some good Mexican Food.
Then, he's not at all far from the Mission Inn (see my post above). The Mission Inn is sit-down-and-order-from-the-menu rather than a Taqueria, but I've been happy with the place since it opened back in the mid-70s. Family-owned, not a chain. Get the Mission Burrito Grande smothered in green chili (but only if you're hungry).

Old 12-16-2007, 03:51 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
We stopped in at Henri's this afternoon after the kids visited Santa.

YUCK! I am not one for really spicy food, though my husband is. This stuff was so bland, even I was upset.

And the prices... $2.25 for a side of sour cream and $1.50 for some cheese sprinkled on my son's burrito... never again!

My 5 year old enjoyed her grilled cheese though.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:46 AM

6 posts, read 7,601 times
the best mexicano food is La Casita La Casita in colorado springs, by the garden of the gods and woodmen or nevada

they make the best chile del-rio and nachos grande
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs