Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 08:49 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
This is driven by the gun industry and profits. Reading an interesting book called 'The Last Gun', by Tim Diaz.

Would like to see more coordination related to research on guns and gun violence related to the ATF bureau, the CDC, etc.
So, please explain to us how the "gun industry and profits" caused more freedom loving residents of the district to sign the recall petition than those that actually voted for him on election day?

What are you alluding to?

Old 07-20-2013, 08:53 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,456 times
Quote:
The legislation supported by Morse and Huron is aimed at high capacity magazines and expanding background checks. Reasonable laws that most Americans support. I hope the recalls are unsuccessful but regardless, I value their efforts to prevent further slaughter in our state.
And please enlighten us to how you think this is going to reduce, or prevent future occurrences? There are literally 100's of millions of magazines out there.

Not sure if you know, but you can make your own on a 3D printer now, so exactly, what are these laws' intentions other than disarming the law abiding gun owner?

Old 07-20-2013, 09:09 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
According to the Pueblo Chieftain the ballots will be mailed on August 19 and counted on Sept 20.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:45 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

But let's say Angela Giron and John Morse win again? What if they win by a landside? Then will the losers of this recall stfd and st*u? What if we are outnumbered? Are you gonna pull an Alec Baldwin and move to France?
If one or both win their recall efforts, you have to respect the process. Will the losers stand down? Probably not. They'll turn their focus on ousting them in the next election cycle, and that's perfectly acceptable. But they can't start another recall effort for the same "offense."

Old 07-20-2013, 10:44 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
The problem is limits on magazine capacity do nothing to prevent slaughter. Measures designed to reduce gun violence should be directed toward the root of the problem and not merely a symptom. The limits on magazine capacity is a solution in search of a problem.

http://www.utdallas.edu/~tvk071000/B...ce%20Crime.pdf
Whether or not you agree that making items more difficult to obtain makes them less likely to be used in crimes/massacres, do you agree that public servants who pass laws aimed to reducing massacres should not be recalled? Or you think that their good intentions should be punished?

Old 07-20-2013, 10:59 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,059 times
I am curious how this works. I assume the recall election is a straight yes or no with no other candidate on the ballot. So if the recall wins/Morse loses, his district is not represented until the next election.
Would this be the next general election in 2014? Or is there another $special$ election? And is there a $special$ primary election to determine who runs in the special election? So is it possible we are going to have 3 special elections? Are the people that signed the recall petition paying for this or do they want the taxpayers to subsudize their discontent?

Old 07-20-2013, 11:04 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I am curious how this works. I assume the recall election is a straight yes or no with no other candidate on the ballot. So if the recall wins/Morse loses, his district is not represented until the next election.
Would this be the next general election in 2014? Or is there another $special$ election? And is there a $special$ primary election to determine who runs in the special election? So is it possible we are going to have 3 special elections? Are the people that signed the recall petition paying for this or do they want the taxpayers to subsudize their discontent?
IIRC, the recall includes one or more opposing candidates, all done at the same time.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:32 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Whether or not you agree that making items more difficult to obtain makes them less likely to be used in crimes/massacres, do you agree that public servants who pass laws aimed to reducing massacres should not be recalled? Or you think that their good intentions should be punished?
That's just the point. I am not naive enough to believe these officials passed the laws with the public safety in mind. Chicago's failed gun policies demonstrate the futility of strict gun laws. Same for the nation's capital. I believe these laws were passed with the intent to infringe upon the rights of the citizen, but dressed up as matters of public safety. A lot of people buy into that "public safety" argument. Many do not. Asking me if their good intentions should be punished is a non-sequitor. I do not believe these laws were passed under good intentions.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:27 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
I think in Pueblo it's going to be hard to have a successful recall election. The reason is Pueblo is heavily democratic and the person running against her is republican. In fact I can't remember the last time a republican won that seat.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:46 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
One of my big issues with lefties and statists is their "good intentions" as though all their unintended consequences which typically end up being mind boggling rules and laws and driving costs through the roof while bankrupting the taxpayer, somehow the "good intentions" make up for that. It's like someone burning my house down while saying they had "good intentions". Gee how nice.

It's all feel goody emotional stuff that doesn't have anything to do with reality or actually fixing something. Instead of kneejerking and passing stupid laws that criminalize ordinary people and that don't fix or change anything, let's look at those that actually commit violent crime and examine the societal decay that has created a lot of these issues.

With all this legislation they passed, it simply targets ordinary people minding their own business, not criminals.

I really don't believe background checks do anything. They imposed all this background check legislation and when prohibited people try to buy firearms, they almost never file charges against that person, so it's just about pointless to me. There are 25000 firearms laws in the USA, often poorly and unequally enforced, senseless, pointless and a waste of time. If criminals want a gun they just find some rube to make a straw purchase for them. That is illegal of course, but you are talking about people that do illegal things already so what is one more charge?

Gun technology is 700 years old. Anyone with some skills can make a firearm or magazine. The statists are trying to stuff something back in the barrel that will not fit back in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado