Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:09 AM

342 posts, read 798,296 times

Advertisements

I am hoping that someone on this forum can help. I need to know what areas of Colorado offer the best year round weather. I am a golfer whose family enjoys the outside lifestyle. We are not enormous snow people but will be moving from northeast PA where the snow can get bad and the temps routinely drop to the singel digits during winter. Any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 08:05 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
I would check Montrose on the western slope.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:48 AM

486 posts, read 1,496,513 times
You can't go wrong with the weather in the Canon City area... some of the nicest, most temperate you will get in the entire state of Colorado.

Often called "the Cancun of Colorado", Canon City's mild climate is legendary for those seeking a gentler Colorado experience.

We still get winter and snow and cold temps, but they never seem as bad as the rest of Colorado due to the elevation and very specific topographical pocket where the town is located.

Also, there are three golf courses around Canon City (Shadow Hills, Four Mile, and... I forget the third one) and within 45 min drive you can find the Broadmoor golf course, Patty Jewett, etc.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-07-2011 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 12-07-2011, 09:05 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Ditto on the Canon City suggestion.

Golf courses here in COLO SPGS usually play year-round, though will be briefly closed when a snow storm leaves them covered, which usually melts out in a few days. With our dry air in the whole region, winter days of 40F with bright sun and little wind can feel downright comfortable.

If one can afford it, the Broadmoor has three courses, including the ones you've seen on TV a few times in recent years -- perhaps you recall the image of a black bear loping across the fairway the other year...

If you google this: golf courses in colorado springs you will find at least a dozen courses.

Weather in COLO SPGS is not too different than Canon City, which seems to benefit from the moderating effects of nearby mountains, an area some old-timers also refer to as the state's Banana Belt.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:10 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Golf courses in Pueblo are open year round as well.

This is from the city of Pueblo web page:

Pueblo is proud to say that our golf courses offer more playable days a year than most others in the state. Elmwood is rated one of the best conditioned city owned golf courses in the state. Walking Stick golf course was rated 4-stars by Golf Digest Magazine. It has also been rated as “Colorado's best golf value”. This course was named the 2nd "Best in State" by "Golf Digest" in 1993. Additionally, "Golf Digest" rated this course as the 10th best under the category of "America's Top 75 Affordable Courses" in their 1996 list of "America's Best Golf Courses Everyone Can Play."

The link: Pueblo, CO - Official Website - Golf Courses

Old 12-07-2011, 03:36 PM

342 posts, read 798,296 times
wow, amazing information so far. Definatly have seen the broadmoor from the womens US open. That area has always appeared beautiful to me. We love the openess of the area. Does anyone know what counties those areas that were previously listed are in (broadmoor, pueblo, montrose, colo springs and canon city)? I am a teacher and my wife is in public health with a specialty in grant writing and development. I also give golf lessons and personal training. Anyone know how those job areas are in CO? Thanks so much to everyone who has replied and who will

Old 12-07-2011, 04:26 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
The Broadmoor and COLO SPGS are in El Paso County, Pueblo is Pueblo County, Canon City is in Fremont County, and Montrose is in Montrose County.

Jobs are tight all over, there are over a dozen school districts in El Paso County alone, hiring is hard but may be possible, one just has to try. No idea about grant writers.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:02 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I would check Montrose on the western slope.
no I would classify Montrose as half way between the mildest and most extreme weather in Colorado.

As for the mildest, maybe Pueblo.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:49 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
I am hoping that someone on this forum can help. I need to know what areas of Colorado offer the best year round weather. I am a golfer whose family enjoys the outside lifestyle. We are not enormous snow people but will be moving from northeast PA where the snow can get bad and the temps routinely drop to the singel digits during winter. Any help would be great.
Temps can easily drop into the single digits anywhere in Colorado in winter. And the snow can get bad anywhere in Colorado as well.

The difference you will find in the lower elevations of Colorado compared to NE PA is there is less moisture, the snow has less moisture content, so it dries out a bit quicker rather than being soggy all winter like in NEPA. The snowfall totals are similar just that Colorado snow is more air than water.

Some people are able to golf year round but in the winter due to wind and cold it will be more limited, if not impossible at times. It is certainly not a totally year round golfing destination like say Scottsdale, AZ.

I wouldn't buy into any "Cancun of Colorado", Colorado is the highest average elevation state, with the lowest average temperatures in the continental 48 and some of the worst winter weather and wind around. There is nothing that resembles any bananas or Cancun in Colorado. There are parts of the state that are more pleasant, but the dominate weather pattern in Colorado is winter not summer. All the places people describe as tropical resorts I have been frozen to my bones in winter at.

I'm a 4th generation Coloradan and at the moment living in northern PA, I can easily say I have been just as cold or colder on the Front Range of CO in winter as I have in PA. The plus with Colorado is more sun, the bad, more wind and wind chill.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:03 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times
I would not say Pueblo is the mildest, as it is usually both hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than Colorado Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado