Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:54 PM

55 posts, read 217,676 times

Advertisements

jazzlover,

I, of course, take great exception to your insinuation that drugs are created and brought to other places by CA, as if other states haven't discovered them all on their own. I also don't remember mentioning trying to get away from drugs, gangs, violence, etc. As I mentioned, we live in a rather nice, safe community. We are simply being priced out and looking for a little better access to the things we enjoy as a family. Yes, I am sure Durango today is not what it was years ago...very few places are...In the same token, Colorado is not what is was when my Indian Ancestors arrived there or when my husband's family pioneered there and built their mud hut (we have a great picture of that..very cool). This country was founded by immigrants and pioneers trying to find the best quality of life for their families...that's still the case. One of the better things about this county is that for the most part, people are tolerant and supportive of that goal. I'm sorry Durango is not longer your "cup of tea", but change is inevitable and not always for the worse, just different. Our little community has changed as well. For many people, it's great and exactly what they enjoy. It's just no longer our "cup of tea". Rather than attack the people moving here for what it does offer, we are looking to find something that fits us better. We believe we found that in Durango. Our eyes are wide open, thanks to many helpful people on this forum as well as some intensive visits. Durango is no utopia..it has it's issues as does every place else in the world. The question is simply "is it the right place for you and your family?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 15,728 times
Default I've asked the same question...

I don't know why anyone would want to move from Southern California. I was born in L.A. County Hospital and have lived in Los Angeles my entire life. I absolutely love it. My husband is not a native Los Angeleno and has moved around in his life A LOT and is, therefore, of the same mind-set as many of you folks who say they prefer CO over CA.

I've looked at so many postings here about Colorado, what's the best place to live, conservative vs. liberal cities, school districts, cost of living, etc. In the vast majority of posting that compare different CO cities is always a statement to the following effect: "but you know, each city has it's pros and its cons, you just have to find the city that's right for you".

Los Angeles County is the same. It has good and bad things about it. Crime, graffiti, gas prices, high cost of living, etc are most definitely things that I would love to change about L.A. Beaches (to the person who posted that beaches in Southern CA are dirty and over crowded or something to that effect, I don't know what you're talking about. My sister and I visit some of the hundredes of beachs in Southern California several times a year and there are many, many beautiful, clean, quiet and un-crowded beaches to choose from), great weather, beautiful parks and hiking areas, great nightlife, fantastic restaurants, museums for everyone, everything at your finger-tips, my list could go on forever.

The long and short of it is that most people just can't hack it in L.A. For many reasons, of course, but mostly because of the cost of living. It is indeed very high. It's easy to throw all that other stuff in (crime, traffic, etc) but if you had money enough to just not care, in other words, if money wasn't an issue, would you pass up having a house on the beach? I would live out here my whole life if I could. Unfortunately my husband wants to move to Colorado and set us up there. It's been a long battle but I've finally given in (see: giving up your dreams) and am moving with him.

We're looking for a not so conservative city right now because I like being around people who aren't closed off and single-minded. Pickings are slim, though. And I KNOW I will hate the cold weather. I was in Denver in Febuary and, until then, had not seen snow in over 20 years. Didn't miss it. It was a novelty for about 5 minutes. I was soon longing for the Reel Inn Restaurant on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) that my sister and I had eaten lunch in the previous week. Thank god the weather during Spring and Summer is nice in Colorado. I'm reading up on all the different towns (please, nobody write to me about Boulder, everyone who finds out I'm coming from Los Angeles says that I'd fit in in Boulder. Talk about a single-minded view of what a Los Angelenos are like), I've heard Fort Collins, Pueblo, Lakewood and Westminster are less conservative than the rest of the towns. We'll soon find out!

I hope I'll grow to like living in Colorado but it will never be my Los Angeles. In answer to your question, why anyone would want to leave L.A.? How about having a husband who can't hack it in the big city.

I'll keep you posted!

PS I've attached a picture I took last year when my sister and I went shopping and had lunch at the 3rd Sreet Promenade in Santa Monica.
Attached Thumbnails
From California To Colorado. Why???-tia-isabel-290.jpg  

Old 04-30-2007, 03:53 PM

431 posts, read 2,794,161 times
No sure if this tread is the right place but here goes---I came across this and maybe it will explain the difference we old timers see in Calif so called free thinkers that have transplanted here. We love church and country, some of them don't. Before every transplanted Calif gets unset. I know many have moved here to get away from that type of thinking. I have a neighbor that moved from the bay area. I am quoting them. She is a native Calif. and is in her 40's. She does not want to go back to even visit. She calls it the entitlement of people. Growing up she said where she lived it friendly loving neighborhoods. No more. So they were looking to stay in Calif. But the expense of finding another home and moving was herindious. So did some looking around and ended up here. Not quit sure how they found our little town but here they are and I love them to death. Best neighbors we have down the road forever. I also know there are some wonderful people in Calif. I have 2 cousins twice removed that whenever I get to see them, we have so much in common and are the most generious people----very far removed from these so called free thinkers. Anyway here it is
>

> > WHAT HAPPENED TO THE WW II MOVIE STARS In contrast to the ideals,
> >opinions and feelings of today's "Hollywonk" the real actors of
yester-year
> >loved the United States. They had both class and integrity. With the
advent
> >of World War II many of our actors went to fight rather than stand and
rant
> >against this country we all love. They gave up their wealth, position
and
> >fame to become service men & women, many as simple "enlisted men".This
page
> >lists but a few, but from this group of only 18 men came over 70 medals
in
> >honor of their valor, spanning from Bronze Stars, Silver Stars,
Distinguish
> >Service Cross', Purple Hearts and one Congressional Medal of Honor.So
> >remember; while the "Entertainers of 2005" have been in all of the news
> >media lately I wou ld like to remind the people of what the entertainers
of
> >1943 were doing,
> >(61 years ago).Most of these brave men have since passed on."Real
Hollywood
> >Heros" Alec Guinness (Star Wars) operated a British Royal Navy landing
> >craft on D-Day.James Doohan ("Scotty" on Star Trek) landed in Normandy
with
> >the U. S. Army on D-Day.Donald Pleasance (The Great Escape) really was
an
> >R. A. F. pilot who was shot down, held prisoner and tortured by the
> >Germans.David Niven was a Sandhurst graduate and Lt. Colonel of the
British
> >Commandos in Normandy.James Stewart Entered the Army Air Force as a
private
> >and worked his way to the rank of Colonel.During World War II, Stewart
> >served as a bomber pilot, his service record crediting him with leading
> >more than 20 missions over Germany, and taking part in hundreds of air
> >strikes during his tour of duty.Stewart earned the Air Medal, the
> >Distinguished Flying Cross, France's Croix de Guerre,and 7 Battle Stars
> >during World War II.In peace time, Stewart continued to be an active
> >of the Air Force as a reservist, reaching the rank of Brigadier General
> >before retiring in the late 1950s.Clark Gable (Mega-Movie Star when war
> >broke out) Although he was beyond the draft age at the time the U.S.
> >entered WW II, Clark Gable enlisted as a private in the AAF on Aug. 12,
> >1942 at Los Angeles.He attended the Officers' CandidateSch ool at Miami
> >Beach, Fla. and graduated as a second lieutenant on Oct. 28, 1942.He
then
> >attended aerial gunnery school and in Feb. 1943 he was assigned to the
> >351st Bomb G roup at Polebrook where flew operational missions over
Europe
> >in B-17s.Capt. Gable returned to the U.S. in Oct. 1943 and was relieved
> >from active duty as a major on Jun. 12, 1944 at his own request, since
he
> >was over-age for combat.Charlton Heston was an Army Air Corps Sergeant
in
> >Kodiak.Ernest Borgnine was a U. S. Navy Gunners Mate 1935-1945.Charles
> >Durning was a U. S. Army Ranger at Normandy earning a Silver Star and
> >awarded the Purple Heart.Charles Bronson was a tail gunner in the Army
Air
> >Corps, more specifically on B-29's in the 20th Air Force out of Guam,
> >Tinian, and SaipanGeorge C. Scott was a decorated U. S. Marine.Eddie
Albert
> >(Green Acres TV) was awarded a Bronze Star for his heroic action as a U.
S.
> >Naval officer aiding Marines at the horrific battle on the island of
Tarawa
> >in the Pacific Nov. 1943.Brian Keith served as a U.S. Marine rear gunner
in
> >several actions against the Japanese on Rabal in the Pacific.Lee Marvin
was
> >a U.S. Marine on Saipan during the Marianas campaign when he was wounded
> >earning the Purple Heart.John Russell: In 1942, he enlisted in the
Marine
> >Corps where he received a battlefield commission and was wounded and
highly
> >decorated for valor at Guadalcanal.Robert Ryan was a U. S. Marine who
> >served with the O. S. S. in Yugoslavia.Tyrone Power (an established
movie
> >star when Pearl Harbor was bombed) joined the U.S. Marines, was a pilot
> >flying supplies into, and wounded Marines out of, Iwo Jima and
> >Okinawa.Audie Murphy, little 5'5" tall 110 pound guy from Texas who
played
> >cowboy parts
> > Most Decorated serviceman of WWII and earned: Medal of Honor,
> >Distinguished Service Cross, 2 Silver Star Medals, Legion of Merit, 2
> >Bronze Star Medals with "V", 2 Purple Hearts, U.S. Army Outstanding
> >Civilian Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal, 2 Distinguished Unit
Emblems,
> >American Campaign Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal
> >with One Silver Star, Four Bronze Service Stars (representing nine
> >campaigns) and one Bronze Arrowhead (representing assault landing at
Sicily
> >and Southern France) World War II Victory Medal Army of Occupation Medal
> >with Germany Clasp, Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Combat Infantr! y Badge,
> >Marksman Badge with Rifle Bar, Expert Badge with Bayonet Bar, French
> >Fourragere in Colors of the Croix de Guerre, French Legion of Honor,
Grade
> >of Cheva lier, French Croix de Guerre With Silver Star, French Croix de
> >Guerre with Palm, Med al of Liberated France, Belgian Croix de Guerre
> >Palm.So how do you feel the real heroes of the silver screen acted when
> >Compared to the hollywonks today who spray out anti-American drivel as
they
> >bite the hand that feeds them? Can you imagine these stars of
yester-year
> >saying they hate our flag, making anti-war speeches, marching in
> >anti-American parades and saying they hate our president?I thought not,
> >.......... neither did I!If you enjoyed this bit of history, send it on.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:02 PM

4 posts, read 14,859 times
A CONUNDRUM!!!
CALIFORNIANS fall for those endorsements of Colorado(Fort Collins) submitted
by Land Barons,Real estate salesmen, and the Local Establishment.
BEWARE!!! Colorado has not a thing to offer other than skiing. Fishing stinks.
Taxes are high.Prices follow tax hikes, or vise-versa.
Stay in california and prosper or go bankrupt in Colorado.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:03 PM

353 posts, read 504,092 times
LAgirl,

I really hope you'll like Colorado. But it's certainly not for everybody. If you're not into the whole conservative thing I'd stick with Ft. Collins--which is a pretty well mixed city. It's a college town in a conservative area so it produces some interesting political and cultural dynamics.

Stay clear of the suburbs like Lakewood and Westminster. They lean to the right.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:24 PM

29 posts, read 31,503 times
Talking My three cents (it's all I got!)

Just wanted to respond. AnnieOakley, I like how you rip on Colorado, but "high taxes". What? Colorado still has a virulent American Frontier mentality. People don't like gov't here. Property taxes are some of the lowest in the country. Here in Boulder sales tax is about 8%, that's not really a high tax rate either. This is probably one of the few states where you could just ignore filing or paying state income tax for years and not get so much as a letter in the mail, and I'm sure plenty of Coloradans here do just that. People don't even EXPECT gov't services in Colorado. The Boulder city manager, mayor, and city council eat tofu and discuss the fine arts of prairie dog relocation, meanwhile Boulder's streets are full of potholes from the season's blizzards and it's obvious it will take these spoiled-brat idiots 3 years just to get a few potholes repaired.

Also, now please, please, please, not another worry or gripe about Colorado's "harsh" winters. Jeez, give me a million breaks. Unless you live in the Rockies at altitude (something completely different), Colorado's winters are very mild. I sunbathe outdoors here from March until October, usually at about 2000 meters to boot. Don't be scared by a few snowstorms here and there. I keep very close track of the weather around here as a hobby. In a typical Boulder year, there are about 12 days with temps below 20dF for most of the day. Maybe another 10 days with temps around freezing. The rest of the time it's in the 50s, 60s or 70s with bright sunshine 2 days out of every 3. Of course the summers are nice in the 80s and 90s (not too hot). Winter days where it is 50dF or even warmer are quite commonplace. Only the aged and infirm would try to claim the Front Range has a harsh winter!

Old 04-30-2007, 06:31 PM

353 posts, read 504,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POdNCrazee View Post
Just wanted to respond. AnnieOakley, I like how you rip on Colorado, but "high taxes". What? Colorado still has a virulent American Frontier mentality. People don't like gov't here. Property taxes are some of the lowest in the country. Here in Boulder sales tax is about 8%, that's not really a high tax rate either. This is probably one of the few states where you could just ignore filing or paying state income tax for years and not get so much as a letter in the mail, and I'm sure plenty of Coloradans here do just that. People don't even EXPECT gov't services in Colorado. The Boulder city manager, mayor, and city council eat tofu and discuss the fine arts of prairie dog relocation, meanwhile Boulder's streets are full of potholes from the season's blizzards and it's obvious it will take these spoiled-brat idiots 3 years just to get a few potholes repaired.

Also, now please, please, please, not another worry or gripe about Colorado's "harsh" winters. Jeez, give me a million breaks. Unless you live in the Rockies at altitude (something completely different), Colorado's winters are very mild. I sunbathe outdoors here from March until October, usually at about 2000 meters to boot. Don't be scared by a few snowstorms here and there. I keep very close track of the weather around here as a hobby. In a typical Boulder year, there are about 12 days with temps below 20dF for most of the day. Maybe another 10 days with temps around freezing. The rest of the time it's in the 50s, 60s or 70s with bright sunshine 2 days out of every 3. Of course the summers are nice in the 80s and 90s (not too hot). Winter days where it is 50dF or even warmer are quite commonplace. Only the aged and infirm would try to claim the Front Range has a harsh winter!
Yes! Exactly! If you're an arms-are-for-hugging granola-cruncher from California you probably won't like it here. But if you've got any sense of faith, family, or self-reliance--or, in other words, if you're a normal, patriotic American--you'll love it here. It's more expensive than Oklahoma, for example--but you still get a good livin' for your buck!

Old 05-04-2007, 10:20 PM

59 posts, read 428,796 times
If we were to belive I Luv NM's perception of L.A., you'd expect it to come under martial law any day now. There are several cool places in greater L.A. where it is perfectly safe to ride your bike: neat walkable neighborhoods with character to boot. Expensive? Hell ya, but put that aside for a moment. I'm not going to spend all of my evening on a passionate defense of L.A. or SoCal in general but I have noticed several cliches about hometown-loathing ex-Calis and others whose only connection to California is maybe a family members: schools are way better everywhere else, crime is out of control, their new state is so great in every way: people, crime (none of it, of course), on and on and on.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:29 AM

476 posts, read 2,319,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountystooge View Post
If we were to belive I Luv NM's perception of L.A., you'd expect it to come under martial law any day now. There are several cool places in greater L.A. where it is perfectly safe to ride your bike: neat walkable neighborhoods with character to boot. Expensive? Hell ya, but put that aside for a moment. I'm not going to spend all of my evening on a passionate defense of L.A. or SoCal in general but I have noticed several cliches about hometown-loathing ex-Calis and others whose only connection to California is maybe a family members: schools are way better everywhere else, crime is out of control, their new state is so great in every way: people, crime (none of it, of course), on and on and on.
Stooge, you greatly over emphasize what I said. I just gave my experiences and what I saw, that is all. I just dont PERSONALLY think LA is a great place to raise a family. To ME, it is a dangerous place. That is all. Please dont put words in my mouth, I am capable of doing that myself. And just for the record, I have Californians as friends and have actually stood up for them moving to Colorado but with some of you judging us with harsh criticisms like "martial law" it makes it harder to do. Crime isnt the only issue LA has, the pollution is terrible. It isnt a healthy area. But if you love LA, that is great for you, but dont get yourself worked up because not everybody finds LA paradise, but quite the opposite. Maybe you can find a safe area to ride your bike, lucky you, but you still are breathing in that putrid smog and you might not make it back to your house, not because of crime, but because the crazy drivers.

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 05-05-2007 at 12:43 AM..

Old 05-05-2007, 07:44 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Unhappy From California to Colorado, Why???

LA Girl, I noticed that a lot of your post about why you love California has to do with the ocean. You will not be happy in Colorado! I moved here from the east coast thirty years ago, and I still long for the ocean. Colorado is a beautiful state; every day the mountains look different. The sky here is bluer than anymore else in the world (except Nepal). But there is no ocean! Anyone who has lived for a while close to the ocean will understand the pull. That's why when we retire in three years we will be moving to Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado