U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-26-2015, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,636 posts, read 13,804,362 times
Reputation: 2099

Advertisements

The year-round Soda City Farmer's Market is starting a Tuesday-through-Friday mini market on the Marriott Plaza in front of Nest. It will be open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. The Saturday market will keep going.

Soda City Market Explores Weekday Mini Market - Free-Times.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2015, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,636 posts, read 13,804,362 times
Reputation: 2099
The Arcade Mall is getting a restoration, including the basement.

EXCLUSIVE: New owners set for Main Street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2015, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
6,649 posts, read 14,182,833 times
Reputation: 1830
^Cockadoodledooo, that's some great news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2015, 07:00 PM
 
232 posts, read 294,825 times
Reputation: 97
More great news. The momentum downtown has reached critical mass and then some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2015, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
6,649 posts, read 14,182,833 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
More great news. The momentum downtown has reached critical mass and then some.
If they can return the Arcade to it's original grandeur it can be a huge draw. It already has quite a few businesses in there, but putting bars and restaurants back in the Downunder location will be tremendous. It didn't really work in the 70's, but with so many people living, working and staying in hotels in the Main Street area now, it could be a tremendous success.







Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2015, 07:37 PM
 
29,947 posts, read 27,424,696 times
Reputation: 18534
Definitely awesome news for Main Street!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 02:45 PM
 
6,187 posts, read 9,422,802 times
Reputation: 1791
*yawn* Im tired reading about all this development in Columbia.....It seems like everyday something new is happening...cant keep up..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
1,710 posts, read 1,511,855 times
Reputation: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
If they can return the Arcade to it's original grandeur it can be a huge draw. It already has quite a few businesses in there, but putting bars and restaurants back in the Downunder location will be tremendous. It didn't really work in the 70's, but with so many people living, working and staying in hotels in the Main Street area now, it could be a tremendous success.
Would bars and restaurants in the basement level pass modern code standards? Kinda strikes me as a fire hazard. Regardless, the refurbishment of the Arcade is great news. I hope this paves the way for more percale businesses to occupy the building. Those small, ground level spaces would make for an excellent craft cocktail or wine bar, the latter being nonexistent on Main Street now that Wine Down has closed (and even it barely qualified as a wine bar).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
6,649 posts, read 14,182,833 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
Would bars and restaurants in the basement level pass modern code standards? Kinda strikes me as a fire hazard. Regardless, the refurbishment of the Arcade is great news. I hope this paves the way for more percale businesses to occupy the building. Those small, ground level spaces would make for an excellent craft cocktail or wine bar, the latter being nonexistent on Main Street now that Wine Down has closed (and even it barely qualified as a wine bar).
When they renovate the building it will have to be brought up to code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
1,710 posts, read 1,511,855 times
Reputation: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
When they renovate the building it will have to be brought up to code.
Well, yeah, but the cost could be prohibitive. Fire Marshall standards are a lot tougher now than they were decades ago. I don't see the basement becoming a nightlife spot anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:19 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top