Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 12:13 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times

Advertisements

Okay,

Here is where I'm coming from. I have a master's in Education, and I'm 28 years old. I'm finding from the little taste that I've gotten of it that I love science and technology, and programming is easier than I thought it was. I would like to learn everything I can about programming, even though I may only use it for my own uses or to help further my teaching job prospects.

Now, please recommend me every user-friendly book on programming you can think of. I do want to start learning this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 12:18 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Perhaps think of a project or direction first... Then decide the tools necessary to achieve...

The tools one needs to work in IT is a bit different from computer programming. Both of which are very diverse fields.

My career got derailed at age 32. Although I was in development, it was a niche area which left me no where to go after layoffs. I found my way back into software development through IT, followed by Support and through QA. It took over 10 years but I did it. I'm now working 100% in development. For IT, certifications are a must... at least in my experience. Domain knowledge and communication skills also helped me.

Perhaps you can combine what you eventually learn in technology and apply it to education. Given you have a masters in Education, that gives you a distinct advantage in the public school system.. in pay and benefits.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:27 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Since you have an education background, your other option is to research opportunities as a corporate trainer. And you can 'weave' a tech concentration into that. e.g. look for places that are hiring trainers. Then see if you can do software/application training down the road.
This is a good thing to try...

I also noticed a few educational majors who pick up a good foundation of technology also have worked their way into sales positions at technology corporations.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:33 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Perhaps think of a project or direction first... Then decide the tools necessary to achieve...

The tools one needs to work in IT is a bit different from computer programming. Both of which are very diverse fields.

My career got derailed at age 32. Although I was in development, it was a niche area which left me no where to go after layoffs. I found my way back into software development through IT, followed by Support and through QA. It took over 10 years but I did it. I'm now working 100% in development. For IT, certifications are a must... at least in my experience. Domain knowledge and communication skills also helped me.

Perhaps you can combine what you eventually learn in technology and apply it to education. Given you have a masters in Education, that gives you a distinct advantage in the public school system.. in pay and benefits.

Okay, could you recommend a few books and resources that could get me started on a project to begin training myself?

Old 02-20-2015, 03:16 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Okay, could you recommend a few books and resources that could get me started on a project to begin training myself?
no matter what books you read, the reality is that there 10,000s of students in head of you who have degrees and certifications and are still looking for entry level jobs. You want a direction? Learn Oracle. Get 100% certified in every level so you are in head of India/China. Get an entry level position and get experience while getting re-certified every year. Job hop until you get to the payscale you want to be at and be mobile to move anywhere on the planet. That's reality.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:50 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 887,115 times
OP - you got plenty of advice on this previous thread:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/inter...ogramming.html

Old 02-22-2015, 01:43 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Because web programmers who develop with JSP, ASP, PHP are not real web developers, they are fake web developers... Let's just call em amateurs compared to HTML and CCS "developers".

SQL Server DBA's is yet another class of amateurs compared to people who know basics of NoSQL

ASP developers are simply old people near retirement who are to lazy to learn the "real web development tools" such as HTML5.

We do use java script in various flavors, but a scripting language does not a programmer make ! We enhance programs that run on popular browsers with java script.

To original poster
To become a software developer people go to college, that's where they learn about compilers, data structures, variables and scopes, event driven and OO programming, and then they take advanced programming classes from that point on.
That is why I am saying that one should learn real programming language, not a scripting one. Something that will give you fundamentals. Programming technologies always change, it's the ability to adopt that makes a good Software person.

Those fundamentals need to be there, otherwise one might go into graphic design with all that ccs knowledge .
None of this post makes sense. Are you even familiar with web development?

You can't compare HTML5 to ASP. They are two completely different things. Additionally, HTML5 is heavily based on JavaScript, which you previously referred to as not being real web development... How can HTML5 be real web development if JavaScript is not real web development?

CSS is not graphics design.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
ASP developers are simply old people near retirement who are to lazy to learn the "real web development tools" such as HTML5.
What does this even mean? Do you know what HTML5 is?

Old 10-07-2015, 07:46 PM

847 posts, read 767,065 times
if you are already know javascript you might consider just going to node.js

one of the strengths of node.js is that javascript developers can leverage some of their existing knowledge.

if you really want to get down and learn and other framwork.

pick one of those poison Asp.net/C#, PHP, JSF/JSP,Ruby on Rails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers