Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:29 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm not in favor of an increased speed limit, even though I can't stand driving at or under the current one. What I -am- in favor of, however, is a "front car rule" for the passing lane.

IF the front car in a line of traffic, is driving slower than the lane immediately to his right, then he is subject to a doubled fine for driving too slow.

No one belongs in the passing lane, unless they're either:

Passing someone
Preparing to pass someone
Cruising with no one behind him trying to pass someone or preparing to pass someone
Exiting or preparing to exit into a left lane exit
Entering from an left lane entrance.

ANYONE who is driving in the left lane, with someone behind him trying to pass him, should move over if it's physically possible, regardless of how fast or slow he is travelling.
I completely agree with that, but I do think the 75mph limit would get people to move over. Currently lots of people cruise at 65 in the left, simply because they feel that's the limit, and that's as fast as they'll go. Argh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think you would feel differently if police pulled you over at 67 mph and gave you a nice fine.
I haven't gotten caught yet - a radar detector is a beautiful thing.

Seriously, though, I just don't see why it's so hard for people to just slow down. Leave work earlier and give yourself more time so you're not stressed out. And my concern is if we raise the speed limit to 75 then it's just going to encourage people to drive even faster and raise the rate of accidents that we see on the road. I mean, it seems every day there's an accident on I-95 by exit 27, which is a notorious stretch that winds and curves - and people race down it all the time. Why raise the speed limit if it's just going to encourage more dangerous behavior?

Old 02-04-2013, 09:33 AM

470 posts, read 1,665,679 times
I'm in favor of raising it to something more resaonable than 55 in some areas that can clearly support it. I think 75 is excessive for most of the state. When I get on the highway I set my cruise to 68-70 MPH, mostly to maintain a prudent, but reasonable speed; but also to save money on gas. The last thing I want is for some jack-ass going 80 MPH to come up behind me flashing his lights and getting pissed becasue I'm traveling at 5-7 MPH under the LIMIT.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I haven't gotten caught yet - a radar detector is a beautiful thing.

Seriously, though, I just don't see why it's so hard for people to just slow down. Leave work earlier and give yourself more time so you're not stressed out. And my concern is if we raise the speed limit to 75 then it's just going to encourage people to drive even faster and raise the rate of accidents that we see on the road. I mean, it seems every day there's an accident on I-95 by exit 27, which is a notorious stretch that winds and curves - and people race down it all the time. Why raise the speed limit if it's just going to encourage more dangerous behavior?
Technically, according to what I learned in a training course recently, the majority of accidents on CT interstates are caused by 2 things: slow drivers, and impatient drivers making risky maneuvers to get around those slow drivers. So technically, that driver going 60-65 is a hazard. Whether it's right to speed or not, it is what it is.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
I'm in favor of raising it to something more resaonable than 55 in some areas that can clearly support it. I think 75 is excessive for most of the state. When I get on the highway I set my cruise to 68-70 MPH, mostly to maintain a prudent, but reasonable speed; but also to save money on gas. The last thing I want is for some jack-ass going 80 MPH to come up behind me flashing his lights and getting pissed becasue I'm traveling at 5-7 MPH under the LIMIT.
Nobody would be flashing their lights at you if you're in the middle or right lanes. Currently, people don't do that at 65 mph drivers in the middle lane.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:43 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Quote:
The bill would boost maximum speed limits on "multiple lane, limited access highway" to 75 miles per hour while increasing fines by 15 percent. Speeds greater than 90 miles per hour would constitute reckless driving.

A legislative committee will hold a hearing Monday on two button topics for drivers: texting and speeding. - Courant.com

I think it's a great idea. It's actually kind of funny that some stretches of our highways are still at 55 mph. Might as well alter the law so we're not making criminals out of 95% of the population.

Driving Lamborghini on Autobahn at 305kph=189mph - YouTube Real Freedom

Old 02-04-2013, 09:43 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
I'm not in favor of this. The only thing this will accomplish is the use of more fuel by residents. You car is far more efficient at lower speeds. What I would be in favor of is a meaningful increase in CAFE standards so that technology can work with more efficient cars and trucks. We will only consume more fuel and increase the coffers of the state even more and that's what I think the real goal is; mo money for the state to spend!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
We will only consume more fuel and increase the coffers of the state even more and that's what I think the real goal is; mo money for the state to spend!
Eh...I think you're looking too far into the roots of this proposal.

I'm not a fast driver by any means, as I normally cruise just over 70. But that labels me a criminal, according to the law.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
Quote:
Eh...I think you're looking too far into the roots of this proposal.
Nevertheless, the result will be increased fuel consumption, opposite what we should be shooting for!

And the other half of the article- I think the police should be held to the same standards as the rest of us. Those guys are the worst cell phone users I've ever seen!

Last edited by Tetto; 02-04-2013 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
We never had a state speed limit for years before the feds imposed the 55 mph limit. When that went bye bye our state began establishing speed limits.
On the big interstate freeways the limit is generally 75. On the two lane paved state highways it is 70 but there are places where the speeds are reduced for some good reason or another, usually because of sharp curves or close proximity to an urban area where other roads or highways are intersecting.

We like to go fast but there is a "Limit" ~♥~
Actually, when Clinton did away with the 55/65 national rule in 1995 and gave speed limit laws back to the state, Montana did go back to "no speed limit -- reasonable and prudent" on their Interstates. But it produced a lot of legal headaches so in 1999 they "settled" on a 75mph limit

Speed limits in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(by the way, I take back my earlier post, Maine is now 75mph.....next nearest state is Louisiana)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut