Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,151,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlyn26 View Post
I lived in connecticut from age six to nineteen. My mom was a born and raised southerner and my father was from new york. I decided to move to the south for college, and that was the greatest thing to ever happen to me. I've been here for four years and I LOVE it. I did not enjoy living up north. I grew up in a very snotty rich town and most people were very rude to me there. I didn't like the fast paced lifestyle. I also did not enjoy the cold. The people in the south are much different. They are so polite and much more welcoming in my opinion. The south is also beautiful and the weather is great (usually). All I'm saying is that there are other places besides New England.
Moving south was the worst experience of my life. The thing I still don't get down there is why people are so overweight. Go to a festival down there compared to up here and its comical, you'll see whole families just obese. Lazy southern lifestyle. Generalizing of course. Its not uptown Charlotte but just go outside the city limits. I wouldn't move down there again if the taxes were ZERO, its hot as hell in summer. Painfully hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 12:31 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Heard New England got slammed by a huge blizzard a while ago. Which makes living in the west coast better.
Oh yes, I would much rather live with the threat of "The Big One" (meaning earthquakes) and wildfires than the chance of a blizzard (yes I am being sarcastic). At least the aftermath of a blizzard melts away in a short time. JMHO, Jay

Old 04-07-2013, 04:20 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I have lived in Connecticut a couple times, I even owned a home there for 15 years.

We left Connecticut and moved up into New England, Maine specifically. We find that we enjoy life up here, much more so than we did when we lived down South.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Lets start with the weather... Take it from there!
And the property taxes.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
And the property taxes.
Good point.

By moving from Ct to Me. My property increased by 600X [0.25 acre with a house, to 150 acres with a house]. At the same time my property taxes were cut to around 1/5 [$5,000 to $850].

Old 04-07-2013, 09:22 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Good point.

By moving from Ct to Me. My property increased by 600X [0.25 acre with a house, to 150 acres with a house]. At the same time my property taxes were cut to around 1/5 [$5,000 to $850].
And that's all well and good...how is the school system in your town? How about the number of jobs? Its fine if you have the nest egg to go to places with low taxes but a job needs to follow for most people and if you have kids, those taxes are paying for some of the finest education systems in the country. That said, we could do a better job of cutting spending here. its nuts... COL is definitely a grind.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
And that's all well and good...how is the school system in your town? ... and if you have kids, those taxes are paying for some of the finest education systems in the country. ...
Yes, taxes and education quality do tend to track along together don't they?

/sarcasm

Ooops

Quote:
... That said, we could do a better job of cutting spending here. its nuts... COL is definitely a grind
I moved North, after I retired.

I could not stay in Ct on my pension. My pension is simply not high enough. I had to flee to a lower COL area.

We were able to buy land and build a home here, for a fraction of what our Ct home cost. Our youngest children finished high school here, we are not aware of any drop in quality of their education from the move. They are employed.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:40 PM

214 posts, read 289,988 times
I'll say it again. There is not a single bit of sarcasm in my original post. Drivers here don't take crap from anyone, and the cities are laid out in a very cultured way that me and everyone I know loves.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 PM

217 posts, read 313,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don998 View Post
It actually depends on person, personally I really cannot stand 4 summer reasons like California. I mean dont you get bored of same hot weather for 3 years straight? 5 years? no ? 10 years? all your life?
Ask that question to the thousands of people that move from your state to my state every year because they cant handle the horrible weather you guys have

Old 04-09-2013, 09:54 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I could not stay in Ct on my pension. My pension is simply not high enough. I had to flee to a lower COL area.

We were able to buy land and build a home here, for a fraction of what our Ct home cost. Our youngest children finished high school here, we are not aware of any drop in quality of their education from the move. They are employed.
A lot of people put down Maine as being a place with poor education & no job prospects but it is what you make of it. Raise your kids right, make them study hard at home, and they've got a good education. Work near one of the hubs in the state or start your own business and you're employed. You may not become rich working in Maine but at least you get to live in one of the most beautiful places in the country with genuine people. Hopefully I will have a vacation home in Maine someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut