Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 AM

14 posts, read 90,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Lol

I think this is a joke post, or it should be. You're a few days late on this, should've posted it on the 1st.

All your "points" are easily debatable and some just flat out wrong.
Ditto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 10:54 AM

37,472 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
... We undertook what could have been a wrenching move for our family in 2001 to CA. After awhile I realized that the west suited me in more ways than N.E. ever could. After all these years, I can say that I would never, ever return to N.E. to live. Visit? ANYTIME. The west and northwest are, for me, the best places to live.
The PNW is nice. We owned a home there for about 10 years.

We have found that Northern New England offers a much lower Cost-Of-Living than the PNW did.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:03 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FILF View Post
This state sucks!! Wish I could get my family to move out of this hellhole so I can make the jump.
I wish you could, too.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Born and raised at the Mass/CT line, I lived there for 33 years. I've been away for about 18 and you can have it. The weather, cost of living and attitudes are a huge reason, to begin with. And contrary to what some of the locals think, there is a world beyond New England. I raised some of my children in the Mass/CT schools and now my youngest goes to Knoxville, Tennessee schools. They are far better than the ones her older siblings attended. Things change.

I understand this was a sarcastic post but there is my unsolicited two cents.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:18 AM

428 posts, read 832,311 times
Statistically New England is certainly the best region. Of course we don't live in statistics and have our own preferences and priorities. I grew up in New England but not in New England culture per say, I grew up in a black neighborhood which is more Southern & Jamaican. But still New England has its allure, great native food, people with sometimes bad attitudes but really helpful natures, vast cultural resources, relatively good public transportation etc. I live in the South at the moment and miss many of these things. The only thing I really dislike about CT(less common in the rest of New England it seems) is people try WAY too hard(even common on this forum) if a person in CT has a dollar to your 50 cents, they'll pretend they're a JP Morgan descendant or some such.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:22 AM

10,110 posts, read 14,985,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
...they'll pretend they're a JP Morgan descendant or some such.
Interesting...

Anyway, thanks for your input Jpierpont.

For those of you not in the know, her is more info on Encyclopedia Britannica - John Pierpont Morgan, aka JP Morgan.

One of the greatest man Connecticut has offer to the world!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:40 AM

11,305 posts, read 18,899,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Honey chile, I got news for you.

Southern cities do not rely on "Yankee transplants" for charm, ambiance, class, or friendliness.

Bless yore heart, I'm sure you can't help yourself.
Ah, you got it wrong.

That is not what I said, what I was trying to say is those parts of the South are a little more tolerant of "outsiders" than the rest of the region and aren't so into the "charm and friendliness" up front while having a lot of "scorn and suspicion" behind the scenes. It's not because the "transplants" in and of themselves show more outward charm or friendliness (in fact, on average they probably show less), but because their presence just makes those areas less "insular" in outlook due to simple 'exposure' and cross-cultural idea exchange.

In the Northeast, I would say the same thing about "old money" wealthy areas vs. similar regions where the wealth is more "self made".

Old 04-11-2013, 02:59 PM

184 posts, read 292,464 times
It would be silly to leave New England - particularly if you live in Connecticut.

Unless you have the option of moving to Norway or Germany.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:42 PM

428 posts, read 832,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Interesting...

Anyway, thanks for your input Jpierpont.

For those of you not in the know, her is more info on Encyclopedia Britannica - John Pierpont Morgan, aka JP Morgan.

One of the greatest man Connecticut has offer to the world!

Not one but thee greatest CT has offered (though he made his impact in Philly, Boston & NYC). I know this post of yours was an attempt at humor and irony, sorry but it was a failed attempt. ;-)

Old 04-12-2013, 01:01 PM

28 posts, read 34,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon860 View Post
It would be silly to leave New England - particularly if you live in Connecticut.

Unless you have the option of moving to Norway or Germany.
Quality of life is entirely subjective. I wouldn't want to live in either of those two countries (the same way I dislike living in CT). There's no way simple statistics like those can ever define which countries are best for every single person. I can understand why some people on this thread are getting so defensive, since they enjoy living in CT/New England so much. For others, this region simply doesn't "vibe" well with us on a number of levels, and some of us have plenty of travel experience to back up our claims. Just please learn to accept the fact that some of us feel very differently than you do, and that doesn't make any of our opinions invalid either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut