Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 06:26 PM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
... People who never venture out into the open spaces of this country just don't know how wonderful it is.
I agree.

I love open spaces, miles between homes, sunny skies, forests, water, wildlife, ... and of course low home prices, low taxes and low cost-of-living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 06:30 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I agree.

I love open spaces, miles between homes, sunny skies, forests, water, wildlife, ... and of course low home prices, low taxes and low cost-of-living.
I certainly understand the appeal, but when it comes down to it a near-by Starbucks, convenience to the city, decent shopping and a number of diverse restaurants is more what makes me happy.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I certainly understand the appeal, but when it comes down to it a near-by Starbucks, convenience to the city, decent shopping and a number of diverse restaurants is more what makes me happy.
Fortunately New England offers both urban and rural.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:54 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Fortunately New England offers both urban and rural.
I guess I prefer the suburban!

Old 04-21-2013, 07:48 PM

140 posts, read 259,643 times
New England has a variety of different lifestyles, depending on what is suiting to you. You can experience urban, city life in places such as New Haven (CT), Bridgeport (CT), Hartford (CT), Boston (MA), etc., but can also experience a suburban lifestyles in towns surrounding these cities. In other parts of New England, you can experience rural lifestyle, and even other parts be very spread out and have that open-spaces, country lifestyle some people prefer. You don't have to live in the South for that kind of lifestyle. I've been to the South many times/even lived there for a short time. I personally prefer the New England lifestyle, and I really like what New England has to offer. To me, there is nothing like a small New England town vibe (its a feeling that cannot be duplicated anywhere including the in the South). There's nothing like the scenery and picture-perfect areas of New England.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:26 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,168,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Winter in North Dakota!
toss up. Both equally painful

Old 06-25-2013, 08:07 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-beat View Post
The winter here is charming. If you disagree then no one's stopping you from relocating to the deep south where the heat is unbearable from May to October.
I live in the North Georgia mountains. It's definitely not unbearable from May to October. We have four seasons and none of them are extreme.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I live in the North Georgia mountains. It's definitely not unbearable from May to October. We have four seasons and none of them are extreme.
Is ice-fishing popular in North Georgia?

Or other winter type sports like dog sledding? Or skiing?

I was not aware that Georgia had a four seasons, certainly not winter.

I have never lived there, so I can not say for certain. I have spent a few months in Kings Bay Ga, and I lived in Charleston SC for a bit. While I was there during the 'winter' months, I never actually saw any form of winter in SC. SC does not see anything like four seasons. Of course SC and it's weather is a lot different from Ga weather.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:22 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,039,923 times
The OP sort of helps validates some opinions and views of people in New England. When you try and infer that you're so much more intelligent and better than the rest, you help give credibility to how some view people up here.

And unless you're one of the wealthy, how smart are you really to enjoy paying more for everything, being taxed on everything, high taxes, regulated more, etc?

There are things to like about it up here, unfortunately weather and cost of living/taxes are huge negatives.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:19 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,424,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
There are things to like about it up here, unfortunately weather and cost of living/taxes are huge negatives.
I'll give you cost of living but you calling the weather in NE a negative is completely subjective and based on nothing but your own opinion. I love New England weather. I have lived in the south, the desert southwest, and have spent a decent chunk of time in the northern plains states. I thoroughly enjoy the weather in New England. The winters aren't too long but neither are the summers. Plus, fall is just awesome and worth the price of admission. There are some of us who *GASP* actually like snow and winter.

However, I am totally with you on the cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut