Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 06:54 AM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
What you are describing exists everywhere. Not to belittle how much is exists in Ct/Mass, I have seen it argued in Ca, Wa, SC, ...

Statistics change. From year to year, and from study to study.

One groups' criteria will be different from other groups' criteria, so their results will contradict.

I agree.

While this new healthcare system may increase the number of people covered, let us all hope that it does to affect quality of care too much.
I agree. You see elitism all over the country. The elite Southerns think they are better because of their long history. Westerns look on easterners with disdain. It is everywhere.

The US World Report ratings of schools (as well as others) has been questioned a lot on this forum over the years. It pretty much been agreed their ratings are flawed overall. There have been schools on the list that are questionable because it relys heavily on things like AP courses which in the northeast are a lot tougher to get into.

As for healthcare, no one is saying that there is not good healthcare in other parts of the country. The couple mentioned are excellent but beyond those few it get very questionable. The northeast just has a higher concentration of quality healthcare. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 06:59 AM

11,300 posts, read 18,895,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The US World Report ratings of schools (as well as others) has been questioned a lot on this forum over the years. It pretty much been agreed their ratings are flawed overall. There have been schools on the list that are questionable because it relys heavily on things like AP courses which in the northeast are a lot tougher to get into.
The other thing is that especially within the Northeast it tends to bias towards schools with IB programs, even if the school itself is not that good otherwise. In Westchester, Yonkers HS (one of the worst in the county) is on their list a lot, and there's a so-so school in Stamford (forgot which one) that's on it a lot too for that reason.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
The other thing is that especially within the Northeast it tends to bias towards schools with IB programs, even if the school itself is not that good otherwise. In Westchester, Yonkers HS (one of the worst in the county) is on their list a lot, and there's a so-so school in Stamford (forgot which one) that's on it a lot too for that reason.
Good point. I think East Hartford's IB school is on the list and it has less than 100 students and all of them are hand selected for the program. Jay

Old 06-28-2013, 10:20 AM

552 posts, read 720,973 times
Quote:
Sounds fun Since I hate the heat and humidity, it definitely is not for me. Jay
No its not fun, it sucks. Im getting a bit tired of these summers down here myself but it sure does feel nice to jump in the pool when youre done. Also, Ill be damned if the guy across the street didn't start mowing at 650 this morning. I was not happy.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:16 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
I agree. You see elitism all over the country. The elite Southerns think they are better because of their long history. Westerns look on easterners with disdain. It is everywhere.

As for healthcare, no one is saying that there is not good healthcare in other parts of the country. The couple mentioned are excellent but beyond those few it get very questionable. The northeast just has a higher concentration of quality healthcare. Jay

Odd comments coming from a moderator. Stereotype much?

Are there no "elite Connecticut folks" in Darien, Greenwich, Weston, and so forth and so on? No elite in CT ? Oh, maybe southern CT, Mystic maybe? C'mon Jay .... elitism and religious tradition should be in the no spin zone.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:23 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,499,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

Are there no "elite Connecticut folks" in Darien, Greenwich, Weston, and so forth and so on? No elite in CT ? Oh, maybe southern CT, Mystic maybe? C'mon Jay .... elitism and religious tradition should be in the no spin zone.

Im not sure he could have been anymore clear than when he said "it is everywhere".

Old 06-28-2013, 11:54 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,423,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Im not sure he could have been anymore clear than when he said "it is everywhere".
Agreed, and I totally agree with Jay- it is everywhere. I have lived in all sorts of different states and they all had their share of elitists who thought they were better than wherever you may be from. Connecticut no more has the market on those than Arizona or Texas or (fill in the blank). If you think it ONLY happens in the northeast, then you probably live with blinders on and are only open to seeing this behavior in states you don't want to like.

The worst are the people who automatically ASSUME that I think I am better than everyone just because I am from the northeast. Nice way to stereotype me before I even open my mouth, jerks (Can you tell I travel a lot? Most people are great but that small minority always makes the boldest impression!).

Old 06-28-2013, 12:41 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,692,542 times
Barry Manilow!! he only spent a "Weekend In New England"!!!

Old 06-28-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

I never said that. Reread my post. Are you saying that there are no people who think they are elite in other parts of the country? And what is wrong with me saying that there are? It is no worse than what the OP said and certainly not against the rules of this forum. I think you may be just looking for something to complain about. Thanks everyone for coming to my defense. Jay

Old 06-29-2013, 06:05 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
I never said that. Reread my post. Are you saying that there are no people who think they are elite in other parts of the country? And what is wrong with me saying that there are? It is no worse than what the OP said and certainly not against the rules of this forum. I think you may be just looking for something to complain about. Thanks everyone for coming to my defense. Jay

Not complaining, simply an attempt to point out balanced comparisons.

I agree with the totality of what you said, and there is elitism all over the country and comparisons are sometimes made off the cuff. What I didn't agree with is your comment quoted below that leads off like a "north v. south" comparison which is overused and used first when making regional comparisons. Comments about the south always come up in the New England states' threads. I happen to be a New Englander and have no bias toward any geographical location and could care less where elitism exists. It's the labeling I object to. People leave areas for as many reasons as there are people. Jobs, retirement, health, cost of living, weather, and so on. Elitism has nothing to do with relocation.

Throughout the entire country there are certain cities, towns etc. within every state that could be considered more "elite" or more "snooty" or snobby than others. But to paint entire states or sections of the country as elite is too broad (imo). There is plenty of elitism to go around.

{Originally Posted by JayCT
I agree. You see elitism all over the country. The elite Southerns think they are better because of their long history. Westerns look on easterners with disdain. It is everywhere.}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut