Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 06:13 AM

11,305 posts, read 18,899,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Not complaining, simply an attempt to point out balanced comparisons.

I agree with the totality of what you said, and there is elitism all over the country and comparisons are sometimes made off the cuff. What I didn't agree with is your comment quoted below that leads off like a "north v. south" comparison which is overused and used first when making regional comparisons. Comments about the south always come up in the New England states' threads. I happen to be a New Englander and have no bias toward any geographical location and could care less where elitism exists. It's the labeling I object to. People leave areas for as many reasons as there are people. Jobs, retirement, health, cost of living, weather, and so on. Elitism has nothing to do with relocation.

Throughout the entire country there are certain cities, towns etc. within every state that could be considered more "elite" or more "snooty" or snobby than others. But to paint entire states or sections of the country as elite is too broad (imo). There is plenty of elitism to go around.

{Originally Posted by JayCT
I agree. You see elitism all over the country. The elite Southerns think they are better because of their long history. Westerns look on easterners with disdain. It is everywhere.}
You know, I have a feeling something like this (which is going on in Alabama) wouldn't happen in the Northeast (you certainly wouldn't see this in CT especially since Sandy Hook):

Huntsville Stars 2nd Amendment Night to feature raffling of three rifles - MLB News | FOX Sports on MSN

DISCLOSURE: They are not "assault rifles" and they are not giving these to you at the game itself (the winner goes to a sporting goods store with a voucher) and I'm not against a person with the right background check owning a hunting rifle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 08:36 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
Tennessee has good schools, huh?
Let's go back.

Here's what I actually wrote.

Quote:
I was raised in a Mass. town with a great school system and graduated from another with a very good reputation. Yet, they can't hold a candle to the schools my daughter attends in Knoxville, Tenn. Not any longer, anyway. I graduated 33 years ago and things certainly change.
You wrote:

Quote:
Do they teach your daughter biology or just a bunch of Bible stories?
Gosh, I was a newspaper reporter for ten years in Mass. I have adult children that attended public schools and colleges in Mass. and Conn. but gosh, golly gee, I might be mistaking biology for Bible stories! Thanks for the heads up!

Yet you wrote:

Quote:
No place is more insular than the South.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:36 PM

539 posts, read 1,924,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Let's go back.

Here's what I actually wrote.

You wrote:

Gosh, I was a newspaper reporter for ten years in Mass. I have adult children that attended public schools and colleges in Mass. and Conn. but gosh, golly gee, I might be mistaking biology for Bible stories! Thanks for the heads up!

Yet you wrote:

I grew up in the Deep South. In 10th grade biology, I was taught that evolution wasn't really true, though we learned it anyway. The meteorologist I grew up watching on local television has gone on national television on several occasions to declare that global warming is a hoax invented by academics and the Weather Channel just to get more ratings. When asked what his reasoning was for rejecting the concept of man-made climate change, he said that he believed that God created the world for human beings and that he doesn't think God would ever allow the planet to become too hot or too cold for us to live on, because he loves us too much. I can't make this stuff up, man. I honestly feel sorry for any child who has to be educated in southern schools. And as bad as the public schools are, the private schools are actually worse because that's where they can really run wild with the evangelical nonsense.

Tennessee is as evangelical and Bible thumping as it gets. I'm not a Northeast elitist liberal. I'm someone who survived a dumbf*ck southern education and moved north when I got the chance.

Because I grew up down there, I know from first hand experience that there are lots of people in the South who have college degrees in biology, chemistry, and yes, even GEOLOGY, and yet still convince themselves the Earth is only a few thousand years old and we all came from Adam and Eve and the reason for all of the world's problems is because Eve allowed herself to be tricked by a talking snake.

If I have to sacrifice my children's education and allow them to be exposed to dumb ass Bible thumpers and their backwards education just so I can have lower taxes and not have to shovel snow in the winter, sorry I don't think it's worth it. This country is already pretty stupid as it is, and the South is leading the way (it's the only thing they lead the way on, by the way). And as I said before, Tennessee has got to be the worst of the idiot Jesus freak states, either them or Kentucky, can't make up my mind which is worst.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:56 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,700,343 times
Climate. Some folks don't want a severe Winter. Jobs. NE scenery is stunning, esp. in Autumn, but it doesn't pay the bills or put food on the table.
Education. I found the courses I needed more available in another part of the country. What I wanted was absolutely lacking in SE CT.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:15 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,279 times
What is interesting to me is that people put so much "stock" into education and QOL in the North. I have never lived in the South, I have always lived in CT and New England area so maybe I might be a bit off. I have friends that grew up in the south. To me, QOL if family, not Benz, McMansions, 4-houses and expensive meals. Down south, they pray before they eat, they EAT AS A FAMILY (who does that in NE) and the people I know work hard. Just because their education is so-called "behind the times" doesn't mean a thing. What you learn is school is how to manage life and become someone to society. I couldn't tell you what I learned in 10th grade and no one cares. It's about the experiences you make. Just because someone goes to a "second or third" tier high school and doesn't go to college doesn't mean they aren't going to make something of themselves. They provide for their families its the number one priority. If that means going to work on a farm, or mechanic or on an Oil rig they are making something out of themselves. Plus, with college being so expensive they are better off because they are making money and producing a product that benefits everyone. I'm sorry if CT/NE is full of people that just want to be CEO's and VP. I'd rather be somewhere where I work hard, earn a HONEST days pay and come home to my family. CT/NE (not all) is losing it's values and morals. The best quote I have is from Thomas Edison he says "Opportunity is missed by most people because it's dressed in overall and looks like work."

Old 07-01-2013, 06:30 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,424,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
What is interesting to me is that people put so much "stock" into education and QOL in the North. I have never lived in the South, I have always lived in CT and New England area so maybe I might be a bit off. I have friends that grew up in the south. To me, QOL if family, not Benz, McMansions, 4-houses and expensive meals. Down south, they pray before they eat, they EAT AS A FAMILY (who does that in NE) and the people I know work hard. Just because their education is so-called "behind the times" doesn't mean a thing. What you learn is school is how to manage life and become someone to society. I couldn't tell you what I learned in 10th grade and no one cares. It's about the experiences you make. Just because someone goes to a "second or third" tier high school and doesn't go to college doesn't mean they aren't going to make something of themselves. They provide for their families its the number one priority. If that means going to work on a farm, or mechanic or on an Oil rig they are making something out of themselves. Plus, with college being so expensive they are better off because they are making money and producing a product that benefits everyone. I'm sorry if CT/NE is full of people that just want to be CEO's and VP. I'd rather be somewhere where I work hard, earn a HONEST days pay and come home to my family. CT/NE (not all) is losing it's values and morals. The best quote I have is from Thomas Edison he says "Opportunity is missed by most people because it's dressed in overall and looks like work."
Stereotype much? I am not Christian, so I don’t care to pray before meals but we always eat as a family in my house. I do not aspire to live in a McMansion, drive a luxury vehicle, or take part in any of the other upper middle class stereotypes you provided. I am not sure what “values/morals” you think have been lost other than the broad brush assumptions you are making (No one eats together! Everyone wants giant cookie cutter houses and luxury cars!). Sure that stereotype holds true for some people in CT but it also rings true for segments of the population in every single state. I have lived in the desert southwest, the South, and spent enough time in the Midwest to lay claim to knowing about that region as well…and yes, my quality of life is higher in CT. Your mileage may vary. It is a big country and we all have different criteria for what a high quality of life means to us individually. If CT isn’t your cup of tea, then I am sure you will find another region that is. I have experienced enough in other areas of the US to know that CT feels like a right fit for me. If CT isn’t for you, then by all means pack those bags and find the spot that makes you happy. Life is too short to live somewhere that makes you miserable.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:39 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Tell m, how do you maintain a yard in the summer in Florida? You either got to get up early to cut grass before the really horrible heat hits but it is still very hot. And from what I hear, the grass grows so fast in the heat and humidity that you have to cut grass twice a week. Not my idea of fun. Give me the winter anyday. Jay
We're actually on our third or fourth day of rain, and YES, the lawn is absurdly high right now! Only it's too wet to mow. Pain in the butt, for sure! We mow once per week, but couldn't do it this weekend. There are a lot of landscapers around who will do it for $20 or $25 for a standard lot. We are in a new (to us) house on a corner lot, however, and haven't hired anyone yet, so maybe it will be more. I think we might suck it up and hire out the lawn care for the summer, like most people around here seem to do.

Again, it's on par with living up north. You still have to mow in the summer (but at least it's nice out), and worse, you have to shovel and scrape your car in the winter. I'm on easy street all winter long; we might mow monthly from November to April, but that's about it. When it's not raining, the grass doesn't really grow.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:42 AM

642 posts, read 859,300 times
I love CT and I want to stay here in retirement becuase I love NE and don't want to be far from NYC, what I consider to be the greatest city on earth. But there are very lovely areas down south that I would consider moving if they had a "NYC" near by. My mom lived near the Outer Banks in North Carolina and she was close enough that we could go to the beach there for the day. If you love the ocean/beach the Outer Banks are simply magnificant. My was husband born in Virginia and his relatives are down in the Williamsburg and Virginia Beach area. That is also a very nice area if you don't mind the lack of NYC culture.

This thread topic made me think of my cousin who just retired to Arizona. He is posting pictures on Facebook of his thermometer over 110 degrees. I said to him "that is crazy, why don't you come home". This was his reply "you don't have to shovel 110 degree heat". Everyone has their own version of happiness. Mine happens to be the CT coastline and NYC. I still think my cousin is crazy out there in Arizona though

Old 07-01-2013, 08:01 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Both of these posts are so full of hyperbole and inaccuracies that it is staggering. One is filtered through their one Alabama experience - although at least it was a real experience! - and the other one is comprised of someone's fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
I grew up in the Deep South. In 10th grade biology, I was taught that evolution wasn't really true, though we learned it anyway. The meteorologist I grew up watching on local television has gone on national television on several occasions to declare that global warming is a hoax invented by academics and the Weather Channel just to get more ratings. When asked what his reasoning was for rejecting the concept of man-made climate change, he said that he believed that God created the world for human beings and that he doesn't think God would ever allow the planet to become too hot or too cold for us to live on, because he loves us too much. I can't make this stuff up, man. I honestly feel sorry for any child who has to be educated in southern schools. And as bad as the public schools are, the private schools are actually worse because that's where they can really run wild with the evangelical nonsense.

Tennessee is as evangelical and Bible thumping as it gets. I'm not a Northeast elitist liberal. I'm someone who survived a dumbf*ck southern education and moved north when I got the chance.

Because I grew up down there, I know from first hand experience that there are lots of people in the South who have college degrees in biology, chemistry, and yes, even GEOLOGY, and yet still convince themselves the Earth is only a few thousand years old and we all came from Adam and Eve and the reason for all of the world's problems is because Eve allowed herself to be tricked by a talking snake.

If I have to sacrifice my children's education and allow them to be exposed to dumb ass Bible thumpers and their backwards education just so I can have lower taxes and not have to shovel snow in the winter, sorry I don't think it's worth it. This country is already pretty stupid as it is, and the South is leading the way (it's the only thing they lead the way on, by the way). And as I said before, Tennessee has got to be the worst of the idiot Jesus freak states, either them or Kentucky, can't make up my mind which is worst.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post

Old 07-01-2013, 08:07 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,367,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Not complaining, simply an attempt to point out balanced comparisons.

I agree with the totality of what you said, and there is elitism all over the country and comparisons are sometimes made off the cuff. What I didn't agree with is your comment quoted below that leads off like a "north v. south" comparison which is overused and used first when making regional comparisons. Comments about the south always come up in the New England states' threads. I happen to be a New Englander and have no bias toward any geographical location and could care less where elitism exists. It's the labeling I object to. People leave areas for as many reasons as there are people. Jobs, retirement, health, cost of living, weather, and so on. Elitism has nothing to do with relocation.

Throughout the entire country there are certain cities, towns etc. within every state that could be considered more "elite" or more "snooty" or snobby than others. But to paint entire states or sections of the country as elite is too broad (imo). There is plenty of elitism to go around.
Good post.

Having traveled all of the USA (and Europe as well) I’ve learned that everyone thinks the same way in most places. There are people who live in all 50 states that think their region is the best and have such a sense of elitism that you almost have to bite your tongue (hard) not to laugh in their face when they are talking to you.

To be honest (brutally honest), they real problem is there is a lack of people who are well traveled and cosmopolitan today, especially in the United States. In the USA, for every one well traveled person who knows about other regions (and may have traveled there)….there are ten people who have lived in the same town there whole life, never leaving the state they live, with little or no knowledge (other than absurd old fashioned stereotypes) of most regions other than their own. This is a problem in all 50 states. The sad demographic truth is that as the more educated, mobile, well traveled folks move to the big cities in every area of the country (North, South, East, West), they increasingly leave behind more and more insular, poorly traveled people who have warped or severely old fashioned views on the different geographic areas on the country.

You might find this funny (you live in NC)….for twenty years we went on family vacations to the Outer Banks, North Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head...etc. One day my neighbor (who never has left CT in 45 years and is the typical insular CT native) asked what do we do when we go to the Carolina's on vacation? I said we go to the beach, spend time on the ocean, surf, eat at the food stands on the beach, hike in the huge dunes, watch to sun come up over the ocean…etc. He looked at me (I swear to god) and said “There’s an ocean in the Carolina's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut