Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 07:33 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times

Advertisements

Having done both, I'll say that summers in Florida are about on par with winters in Connecticut. The main difference is that during the hot summers, you don't have to worry about being stuck indoors due to a blizzard, and you don't have to drive in the snow. But during both "yucky seasons" it's uncomfortable (and in extreme cases, dangerous) to be outside for any long period of time, there is extreme weather that might knock out the power (hurricanes/thunderstorms here, blizzards/ice storms there), and people tend to hang out indoors moreso than outdoors (beach/pool and sledding/skiing excepted). I think the ideal thing would be to avoid both, but alas, most of us can't do this, at least not when we're in our 30s and have young kids at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 07:51 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,366,619 times
In terms of the weather - -if you ask me (since I've lived in both Florida and Connecticut) all of you folks make way too big a deal out of both (summer in Florida and winter in CT).

In the hot/wet season in Florida it's like water world - everyone is in pools, going to the beach, there are rainshowers on/off...etc. It's actually kind of fun. By early October the dry air arrives and the weather is the best in the world until early May.

In Connecticut, real winter doesn't start until early December in most years, then it' on/off most of the next three months anyway. The rest of the year (April through November) is fine weather wise in Connecticut.

And other other thing - please stop calling CT "New England" at least in terms of the weather. Real New England winters in VT, MA, ME, NH are a far cry from the fleeting and often wet (not white) winters in CT.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:35 AM

11,302 posts, read 18,895,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Is ice-fishing popular in North Georgia?

Or other winter type sports like dog sledding? Or skiing?

I was not aware that Georgia had a four seasons, certainly not winter.

I have never lived there, so I can not say for certain. I have spent a few months in Kings Bay Ga, and I lived in Charleston SC for a bit. While I was there during the 'winter' months, I never actually saw any form of winter in SC. SC does not see anything like four seasons. Of course SC and it's weather is a lot different from Ga weather.
If it is mountainous enough, they'll have winter. It's not quite like winter in the inland Northeast, but it's probably comparable to the big cities of the Northeast, especially that of NYC on south to Philly and Maryland.

To give an idea, I don't believe there are ski areas in South Carolina or Georgia (or if there is it's like 1 in the whole state), but there are in the mountains of Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:29 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,423,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
And other other thing - please stop calling CT "New England" at least in terms of the weather. Real New England winters in VT, MA, ME, NH are a far cry from the fleeting and often wet (not white) winters in CT.
There is no "typical" New England. In your example, that means you would omit all of CT, RI, eastern MA, and coastal NH and Maine from your definition. Further, even internally the NE states have different climates. The Litchfield Hills have a far different winter than New London. Boston has a far different winter than the Berkshires and the Cape is different than Boston and the Berkshires. Portland, ME has a far different winter than Presque Isle...and the list goes on.

Just because people romanticize New England as being only the Green and White Mountains doesn't make it so.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
There is no "typical" New England. In your example, that means you would omit all of CT, RI, eastern MA, and coastal NH and Maine from your definition. Further, even internally the NE states have different climates. The Litchfield Hills have a far different winter than New London. Boston has a far different winter than the Berkshires and the Cape is different than Boston and the Berkshires. Portland, ME has a far different winter than Presque Isle...and the list goes on.

Just because people romanticize New England as being only the Green and White Mountains doesn't make it so.
Yeah, I agree. The Connecticut & Farmington valleys pretty much capture New England for me, in terms of the fall & winter landscapes that you get. Granted, snowcover certainly not as prolonged as in Vermont, NH, and inland Maine.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:06 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Having done both, I'll say that summers in Florida are about on par with winters in Connecticut. The main difference is that during the hot summers, you don't have to worry about being stuck indoors due to a blizzard, and you don't have to drive in the snow. But during both "yucky seasons" it's uncomfortable (and in extreme cases, dangerous) to be outside for any long period of time, there is extreme weather that might knock out the power (hurricanes/thunderstorms here, blizzards/ice storms there), and people tend to hang out indoors moreso than outdoors (beach/pool and sledding/skiing excepted). I think the ideal thing would be to avoid both, but alas, most of us can't do this, at least not when we're in our 30s and have young kids at home.
Tell m, how do you maintain a yard in the summer in Florida? You either got to get up early to cut grass before the really horrible heat hits but it is still very hot. And from what I hear, the grass grows so fast in the heat and humidity that you have to cut grass twice a week. Not my idea of fun. Give me the winter anyday. Jay

Old 06-26-2013, 12:24 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
... And other other thing - please stop calling CT "New England" at least in terms of the weather. Real New England winters in VT, MA, ME, NH are a far cry from the fleeting and often wet (not white) winters in CT.
My Dw is from Ct. We owned a home there for 15 years. I am from Ca, so I have no stake in where folks draw these goofy lines.

To me the 'Middle of the West' is Oregon. Where folks call the 'Mid-West' is 1,500 miles East of anything 'West'. But that is just me, I look at things called 'maps'.

My Dw calls Ct "New England" so fine.

Once on this forum, I read a thread where they were calling NJ as New England, I corrected them and I got jumped on for it.

I would point out that there is a Great Lakes effect, which does cause a 'snow-belt'. Half of N.E. is in the Snow-belt and half of N.E. is North of the snow-belt.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:59 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My Dw is from Ct. We owned a home there for 15 years. I am from Ca, so I have no stake in where folks draw these goofy lines.

To me the 'Middle of the West' is Oregon. Where folks call the 'Mid-West' is 1,500 miles East of anything 'West'. But that is just me, I look at things called 'maps'.

My Dw calls Ct "New England" so fine.

Once on this forum, I read a thread where they were calling NJ as New England, I corrected them and I got jumped on for it.

I would point out that there is a Great Lakes effect, which does cause a 'snow-belt'. Half of N.E. is in the Snow-belt and half of N.E. is North of the snow-belt.
I do not think that you were on this (the Connecticut) forum. New Jersey is not part of New England and no one from New England would ever jump on someone for correcting that.

I think you are confusing the "Middle of the West" with Mid-West. The "Middle of the West" would be Oregon but the Midwest are the states in the central part of the country like Ohio, Ill., and the Dakota's. Jay

Old 06-26-2013, 03:35 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
... the Midwest are the states in the central part of the country like Ohio, Ill., and the Dakota's. Jay
Ohio, Ill., and the Dakota's could just as aptly be called the MidEast then, since they are so far to the East

It does seem that 'nutmeggers' are defensive of the idea that Ct is the extreme Southern border of New England.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:01 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,499,015 times
Quote:
In terms of the weather - -if you ask me (since I've lived in both Florida and Connecticut) all of you folks make way too big a deal out of both (summer in Florida and winter in CT).

In the hot/wet season in Florida it's like water world - everyone is in pools, going to the beach, there are rainshowers on/off...etc. It's actually kind of fun.

Most people have to work and cant be in the pool all day.. florida rainshowers suck because after them its ungodly humid with the water now being burned off by the sun.
Plenty parts of Ct have winters just like any part of Vt, Ma, etc... and it certainly IS part of New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut