Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:53 PM

539 posts, read 1,923,392 times

Advertisements

In all of the quality of life matters, New England performs much better than any Sunbelt state, especially in the South. Access to health care and education usually rank at the top nationwide. How many times do we read about how Connecticut has the best schools, or Massachusetts has the best health care? Conversely, how often do we hear that Mississippi has the worst schools and Alabamians are the most unhealthy? Do you really think everybody's just making this stuff up?

Yes, the cost of living is considerably higher, but there's a few things to keep in mind: A) The average person in New England is much better educated, and thus is likely in a much better financial position to afford the high real estate prices and high taxes, B) it's definitely harder to be poor in a conservative, southern state than a New England state due to the political culture down there that dictates that government must only provide the most basic of services, which means poor people simply do not receive as many benefits or public assistance as they would here, and C) people make less, even if you don't factor in the lower overall education levels that people have down there.

And yes, all of these things apply even to the Sunbelt states that seem to be growing and creating jobs, like Texas and Florida. For every "good job" (a technical job requiring a college education) that is created in those places, I guarantee you there are probably 5 or 10 more jobs being created down there that are nothing more than minimum-wage service industry jobs with that offer no health insurance and no retirement benefits. That's something that can't be gleaned from a jobs report or a simple unemployment figure. What good is a 5% or 6% unemployment rate if everybody who has a job just works for $7 or $8 an hour at Burger King? No thanks, I think it's better to build an economy on health care, education, technology, etc. than fast-food joints, used car dealerships, and Wal-Mart.

By the way, yes winters in New England are cold and snowy, but summers in the Deep South are hell hot. Also, winters down there aren't all that great, though they are much milder than New England. In someplace like Atlanta or Nashville, on a typical January day it is 45 or 50 degrees and raining. Not exactly Miami weather.

Don't beat yourself up too much, New England!

Last edited by AQUEMINI331; 06-26-2013 at 09:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 05:05 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Wow, some of these posts really reflect the elitist attitude of the northeast. I know, because I was brought up that way, to think that the rest of the country isn't quite up to par with the fabulous, untouchable New England. Maybe New Yorkers are on par with us, I was told, but those backward SOUTHERNERS, well no. That place was just one big "Mississippi Burning."

For instance, the comment about Mass. having the best healthcare in the country, pure myth that I was raised on. I was shocked to learn - once I moved away from the insular northeast - that the Midwest has the best healthcare in the country.

Scorecard of Local Health System Performance.: Top 10 U.S. Places for Healthcare - US News & World Report

Schools?

I was raised in a Mass. town with a great school system and graduated from another with a very good reputation. Yet, they can't hold a candle to the schools my daughter attends in Knoxville, Tenn. Not any longer, anyway. I graduated 33 years ago and things certainly change.

Southbridge High School in SOUTHBRIDGE, MA | Best High Schools | US News

Oxford High School in OXFORD, MA | Best High Schools | US News

Bearden High School in KNOXVILLE, TN | Best High Schools | US News

There are actually better schools in the Knox County system but this is the one that my child will probably attend.

Things change and you can't rest on your laurels.

Regarding weather, I've lived in New England and in Florida, especially all the way down in Southwest Florida. I know good weather when I see it and I'll stick with East Tenn's Goldilock's weather that is just right.

Northeasterners love to trot out the obesity statistics or the school systems of Alabama, Miss., etc. but the truth is there are many unenlightened folks living up there in New England. Lots and lots of card-carrying rednecks - and they know it. I think it's why they keep tightly holding on to those "statistics" that came and went a long time ago - if they were ever there. It reminds me of the pap we were fed as youngsters about living in the "best country in the world." Some of that derived from our World War II victory that was the product of heart, determination, money and luck but that was a long time ago and most people realize that we fall far down the list on things like "best healthcare." We are now 39th in the world, one ahead of Slovenia, two ahead of Cuba.

World Health Organization ranking of health systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But comparing Knoxville, Nashville, Raleigh, Asheville, etc. with places like Natchez, Miss. - or Gary, Indiana; Flint, Michigan; or Stockton, Calif. - ahem - is like comparing Cambridge, Mass. with some of the unincorporated places in Maine or Holyoke, Mass.

And lest you think I'm some crazed Right Wing lunatic, I'm not. In fact, I'm enjoying SCOTUS's recent decision while living in a city that has one of the most left-wing mayors in the country. She cut her teeth fighting for migrant farm worker's rights alongside Cesar Chavez.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:23 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
www.usnews.com/best-hospitals

http://www.hss.edu/why-choose-hss.as...FWlp7AodtkgA3g

Not intending to go off topic here, but I agree with you Hiknapster. Healthcare in New England is also THE most expensive, but the Boston hospitals are awesome. So is the Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, Hospital for Special Surgery in NY. MD Anderson Cancer Center (TX) and so forth. Hospitals in Winston Salem NC are rated very highly as well.

As for leaving New England, grew up there, left there, nice place to visit. High cost of living, high taxes, stressful. As we have heard it said: "I'm not a southerner, but I got here as fast as I could".

Last edited by QuilterChick; 06-27-2013 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-27-2013, 06:42 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

Northeasterners love to trot out the obesity statistics or the school systems of Alabama, Miss., etc. but the truth is there are many unenlightened folks living up there in New England. Lots and lots of card-carrying rednecks - and they know it. I think it's why they keep tightly holding on to those "statistics" that came and went a long time ago - if they were ever there. It reminds me of the pap we were fed as youngsters about living in the "best country in the world." Some of that derived from our World War II victory that was the product of heart, determination, money and luck but that was a long time ago and most people realize that we fall far down the list on things like "best healthcare." We are now 39th in the world, one ahead of Slovenia, two ahead of Cuba.

World Health Organization ranking of health systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But comparing Knoxville, Nashville, Raleigh, Asheville, etc. with places like Natchez, Miss. - or Gary, Indiana; Flint, Michigan; or Stockton, Calif. - ahem - is like comparing Cambridge, Mass. with some of the unincorporated places in Maine or Holyoke, Mass.

And lest you think I'm some crazed Right Wing lunatic, I'm not. In fact, I'm enjoying SCOTUS's recent decision while living in a city that has one of the most left-wing mayors in the country. She cut her teeth fighting for migrant farm worker's rights alongside Cesar Chavez.
Let's see....

1) We are 39th in the world in Health Care. Well that's because we seem to be obsessed with DENYING healthcare, something that no other developed nation, even fairly "conservative" ones, seem to be. In fact, in most of them, our health care system is an abomination they laugh at. Obamacare is far from perfect (and ironically mostly based on a conservative Heritage Foundation proposal from 2003 modified by Romney in 2006), but I always challenge anyone who condemns it completely to suggest a better alternative (and no, the "status quo" is not better, that's how Obamacare came to be to begin with, maybe if there was more will to do something through the years something better would've happened). Conservatives seem far more obsessed with simple "repeal" than "improve". And lets see, which states/regions of the US seem to be the most obsessed with denying health care (or at least take a "I have mine too bad you can't have yours, just die" attitude legislatively)? Not the Northeast, which all tried to RAISE the income levels to get state health insurance for kids until Bush stopped it (Obama brought it back).

2) Yes, there are PLENTY of bigots and so called "rednecks" in the Northeast, in fact it's not just limited to the rural parts, certain neighborhoods/groups in Boston and NY City too (think of all the "busing" debates in the 70s). But where historically is bigotry LEGISLATED? Where is society historically the most "insular" in the US? Were there ever separate drinking fountains in California? Or Massachusetts? Which states banned slavery without having to have a war to do so? Where historically did "oppressed peoples" immigrate to, Mississippi, yeah right? Why didn't they go there? (yes, the Northeast had the advantage of ports nearer to Europe, etc., but so did Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA)

I'm not saying that there'd still be slavery today if the South won the Civil War or such, but in the South there's still an obsession in a subtle way legislatively to keep "them" (whoever they may be) down and away far more so than other parts of the US. For example, honestly, I'm all for voter ID laws, but suddenly pushing them 6 months before a Presidential election as many "red" states did doesn't sound like states are doing them for the real reason they should be done, especially when time is needed to have an infrastructure in places for those who can't easily go out and get ID's (i.e. rural residents miles from the DMV) to get them. If one wants voter ID laws, push them now when we're not near any big elections and there's lots of time to put them in place.

And this doesn't mean that it has to stay that way. A lot of people don't know that Germany actually has the toughest anti-Nazi laws on earth, is one of Israel's biggest trading partners (the Volkswagen, founded by Hitler of all people is the most popular car in Israel, people know it long has nothing to do with that anymore) and actually has a growing, thriving Jewish population (mostly ex-Soviet refugees). So I don't think smugly that the South is doomed to be so "insular" forever. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if at least Florida, Virginia, Texas, and North Carolina turn more "blue" or at least "moderate" in the next 20 or so year.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:09 AM

24 posts, read 35,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don998 View Post
It actually depends on person, personally I really cannot stand 4 summer reasons like California. I mean dont you get bored of same hot weather for 3 years straight? 5 years? no ? 10 years? all your life?
I am preparing to relocate to Connecticut from Southern California because my husband is being transferred next summer. I grew up in San Diego and moved to Murrieta, about 45 minutes North, about five years ago. We are about to move back to San Diego in the next three months and then head East to Connecticut. San Diego weather gets monotonous, there are no seasons. And, Murrieta (where I live now) gets upwards of 102-110 (where I work in Perris) for a few months of summer....and it is completely dry! It is icky and I get the WORST head colds!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:40 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Wow, some of these posts really reflect the elitist attitude of the northeast. I know, because I was brought up that way, to think that the rest of the country isn't quite up to par with the fabulous, untouchable New England. Maybe New Yorkers are on par with us, I was told, but those backward SOUTHERNERS, well no. That place was just one big "Mississippi Burning."
What you are describing exists everywhere. Not to belittle how much is exists in Ct/Mass, I have seen it argued in Ca, Wa, SC, ...

Quote:
... For instance, the comment about Mass. having the best healthcare in the country, pure myth that I was raised on. I was shocked to learn - once I moved away from the insular northeast - that the Midwest has the best healthcare in the country.

... Schools?
Statistics change. From year to year, and from study to study.

One groups' criteria will be different from other groups' criteria, so their results will contradict.

Quote:
... Things change and you can't rest on your laurels.
I agree.

Quote:
... most people realize that we fall far down the list on things like "best healthcare." We are now 39th in the world, one ahead of Slovenia, two ahead of Cuba.
While this new healthcare system may increase the number of people covered, let us all hope that it does to affect quality of care too much.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:24 PM

552 posts, read 720,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Tell m, how do you maintain a yard in the summer in Florida? You either got to get up early to cut grass before the really horrible heat hits but it is still very hot. And from what I hear, the grass grows so fast in the heat and humidity that you have to cut grass twice a week. Not my idea of fun. Give me the winter anyday. Jay
Nobody gets up early to cut the grass down here. You just load up on sunscreen, put on a hat to keep the sweat from your eyes and mow. Drink plenty of water and jump in the pool after if you have one. And no you don't have to mow twice a week, once is enough.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:27 PM

539 posts, read 1,923,392 times
Quote:

For instance, the comment about Mass. having the best healthcare in the country, pure myth that I was raised on. I was shocked to learn - once I moved away from the insular northeast - that the Midwest has the best healthcare in the country.

Scorecard of Local Health System Performance.: Top 10 U.S. Places for Healthcare - US News & World Report

Schools?

I was raised in a Mass. town with a great school system and graduated from another with a very good reputation. Yet, they can't hold a candle to the schools my daughter attends in Knoxville, Tenn. Not any longer, anyway. I graduated 33 years ago and things certainly change.

Southbridge High School in SOUTHBRIDGE, MA | Best High Schools | US News

Oxford High School in OXFORD, MA | Best High Schools | US News

Bearden High School in KNOXVILLE, TN | Best High Schools | US News

There are actually better schools in the Knox County system but this is the one that my child will probably attend.

Regarding weather, I've lived in New England and in Florida, especially all the way down in Southwest Florida. I know good weather when I see it and I'll stick with East Tenn's Goldilock's weather that is just right.

Tennessee has good schools, huh? Do they teach your daughter biology or just a bunch of Bible stories?

I too have lived in both the northeast and the southern states. No place is more insular than the South. It's still a whole other world, at least in the Deep South (AL, MS, etc). Atlanta, not so much.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:57 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
I too have lived in both the northeast and the southern states. No place is more insular than the South. It's still a whole other world, at least in the Deep South (AL, MS, etc). Atlanta, not so much.
Not so much southern FL and northern VA either.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:46 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
Nobody gets up early to cut the grass down here. You just load up on sunscreen, put on a hat to keep the sweat from your eyes and mow. Drink plenty of water and jump in the pool after if you have one. And no you don't have to mow twice a week, once is enough.
Sounds fun Since I hate the heat and humidity, it definitely is not for me. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut